IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

We don't have dead wood anymore - and we have Nigel Pearson to thank for that.

Every player in the first team squad now makes a contribution of one kind or another, on or off the pitch - we have Nigel Pearson to thank for that.

Unlike under previous managers, we no longer have leaches taking a salary but contributing nothing, spreading bad vibes with bad attitude. All that's gone. Thanks to Nigel Pearson.

1 agree 

2 agree

3 we don't know the players personally to judge their attitudes 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The clue was they (some of the new users) signed up initially with their real names and / or email addresses that linked them back to Bristol Sport.  How effing dumb is that?

Hence why you’re seeing stuff about BS employees joining.

Do you thing any BS employees could be coerced by the powers that be into signing up just to back the board ? if so surely that would come out in the wash in the future with a whistle blower or two, utter nonsense as far as i'm concerned with zero proof to back it up  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But they just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

Well, I just hope it follows what we’ve been recruiting towards for 18-24 months, because that’s what Tins said last week.  The criticism of Nige wasn’t the “plan” but the “performance” (according to JL and Tins) whether I agree or not with the decision.

I’d hope that you’d agree that if we are going heavily away from what we have been, that you’d question what the “hell” (polite version) the Tech Director and Head of Technical Director have been doing. rip it up and start again.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zuni said:

James and King go in the next window and we recruit 2 or 3.

Where’s King going with less than 6 months left on his contract?

He’ll sit tight until the summer and then get released if he has any sense (& he certainly does).

Good luck with recruiting “2 or 3” on what we were paying him, too.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Every player in the first team squad now makes a contribution of one kind or another, on or off the pitch - we have Nigel Pearson to thank for that.

Unlike under previous managers, we no longer have leaches taking a salary but contributing nothing, spreading bad vibes with bad attitude. All that's gone. Thanks to Nigel Pearson.

Certainly agree with the attitude part but please prepare yourself for King, James and Williams not being part of a new "front foot", attacking, dynamic approach. They simply do not fit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Not a chance in hell it’s £600k buyout. It’s reported to be one years salary, no way he’s on £600k a year!

The suggestion in an article I posted yesterday was that there was a ‘buyout’ clause in his contract. If that’s the case it would explain why there was no ‘seeking permission to talk’ reports. And it would mean that we’re not simply talking about annual salary related compensation. 

Just now, GrahamC said:

Where’s King going with less than 6 months left on his contract?

He’ll sit tight until the summer and then get released if he has any sense (& he certainly does).

Good luck with recruiting “2 or 3” on what we were paying him, too.

OK, we will wait and see.

19 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

Chris Hogg still lives in the Ipswich area and commutes to Oxford. If his family don’t want to move to Oxfordshire, would they move to Bristol?  Manning might be good but is that because he has Hogg.

Because we'd pay him more money than Oxford?

Danny Wilson's family lived Oop North (forget exactly where) but Wilson rented during the days he was required to be in Bristol.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The clue was they (some of the new users) signed up initially with their real names and / or email addresses that linked them back to Bristol Sport.  How effing dumb is that?

Hence why you’re seeing stuff about BS employees joining.

BS employees have now been told not to use there real name in future.

1 minute ago, Zuni said:

Certainly agree with the attitude part but please prepare yourself for King, James and Williams not being part of a new "front foot", attacking, dynamic approach. They simply do not fit.

Bingo. I’d be letting weimann walk too. We got a grafting forward that can play across the front 3 under contract already in Cornick. I think experience is valuable but despite the age of a lot of our players, we do have plenty of experience. Wouldn’t be a massive loss to lose any of those mentioned with decent recruitment. 

12 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

1 agree 

2 agree

3 we don't know the players personally to judge their attitudes 

There are posters on here that do. Perhaps I know one of those posters. Know them well enough to be sure the very few bits of info I hear about are bona-fide, not bullsh1t? Imagine that.

But if you can't, I'd have thought the players' obvious commitment to our cause, and the manager personally, would speak loud and clear as to their attitude. Of course, there are none so blind etc.

So on the step you pop. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Zuni said:

James and King go in the next window and we recruit 2 or 3.

How do James and King go in the next window ? Are you suggesting we pay up their contracts when we have no more money in the budget ? Hope the Gas want them ?

Where are the 2 or 3 coming from, The Downs League.......we have no money, the budget is maxed out !!!!

Please explain your rationale.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah I can appreciate that. 
My take on it is that I was always of the opinion that Pearson wouldn’t get extended after his 3 years was up. So at some point, whether the end of this season or at some point during this season, he was going to leave. 
It came earlier than I expected and in circumstances that are unfavourable. But I always felt it was going to happen at some point this season. 
And the plan, even going back 3 years (and in Pearson’s own admission) was that someone else would come in and take forward what Pearson had stabilised. 

I’ve always felt that Pearson was simply the ‘stability’ manager and after the 3 years was up someone like a Manning would inherit the stability that Pearson created. 

I don’t like the circumstances as to how this has come about, but I’m happy with the appointment of Manning, having seen his teams a fair bit, I like his style of football. 

Tending to agree. 

The interesting thing will obviously be how much money Manning is given. The players are clearly not there for top 6, regardless of what JL/BT/anyone else says. The nest egg comments NOW imply that as we've got the FFP under control that there will be plenty of cash available to go all out in January, Manning will have the next 2 months to get an impression of the team and have a recruitment strategy in place to present to BT. Why sack Pearson now otherwise? We make a big deal of them being dense but there's a difference between being a little incompetent and outright stupid.

Doubt Tinnion has the perceived power he does come mid-Dec, doubt the "academy is king" holds by Jan. 

If the betting markets were offering it I'd have plenty of money on us spending big in January.

23 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

Chris Hogg still lives in the Ipswich area and commutes to Oxford. If his family don’t want to move to Oxfordshire, would they move to Bristol?  Manning might be good but is that because he has Hogg.

Is this definitely true?  Ipswich to Oxford is a 3-4 hour drive each way, or slightly quicker via a soul and wallet-destroying train journey into and across London.  Seems unlikely to me.  But if it were true then a move to Bristol would be a perfect excuse to stop the madness (either by moving house or by staying away during the week).

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Unlike under many, too many, previous managers, we no longer have leaches taking a salary but contributing nothing, spreading bad vibes with bad attitude. All that's gone. Thanks to Nigel Pearson.

His man-management and leadership were superb.

Agreed, I don't think there are any players who don't bring something to the table, I personally struggle to rate Joe Williams thst highly, but he still adds value, and there isn't anyone I can think of who doesn't even if I may not rate them as highly as others. 

To be fair that's the thing about Manning that has me most optimistic (that it's not in any way going to be a return to the mess Pearson came into) is that tactics and systems and all that aside in most of his pre match / post match interviews on the Oxford YouTube channels he often glosses over the tactical questions with a massive focus on the players as individuals and a collective. I said in the other thread he strikes me far more of a Nige type manager than an LJ type. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zuni said:

I know they don't!

And if I was in charge, none of them would be employed beyond next May, save King as a coach if he can bring himself to still work for the current owners. They've all busted a gut for our club in their time here but we now move in a different direction and, for me, a wholesale revamp of midfield in the summer with fresh young legs would transform our fortunes. They leave, though, with heartfelt thanks. 

But to call them "dead wood" is wide of the mark - or at least your meaning to be unclear.

• Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Zuni said:

Just wondering who you think the ball winner in the middle of the park will be if you are so sure that Williams and James will be immediately jettisoned. It's a bit difficult to play in the style you suggest without it.

Edited by Sir Geoff
extra text

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

There are posters on here that do. Perhaps I know one of those posters. Know them well enough to be sure the very few bits of info I hear about are bona-fide, not bullsh1t? Imagine that.

But if you can't, I'd have thought the players' obvious commitment to our cause, and the manager personally, would speak loud and clear as to their attitude. Of course, there are none so blind etc.

On the step you pop. 

"On the step you pop"

Just one it the reasons new posters probably don't get involved in the forum too much because of smarmy comments like that

on the other hand I've heard things that are not all sunshine and roses with one player but hey ho you just believe what suits your argument and I will do the same.

I don't think it will be too much longer before the club announce it as Oxford are playing tonight and they will also want to announce Liam's departure sooner rather than later.

Keep F5'ing....

I'm reporting on National League South tonight so look forward to all the fans podcasts later (FBC, 3 Peeps & OSIB) which will entertain me on my journey to Chippenham and back...

Edited by Tomo

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

How do James and King go in the next window ? Are you suggesting we pay up their contracts when we have no more money in the budget ? Hope the Gas want them ?

Where are the 2 or 3 coming from, The Downs League.......we have no money, the budget is maxed out !!!!

Please explain your rationale.

Remember he alleged a few days ago that James was on £27,000 a week so assumedly he thinks we’d save £700k over the residual part of his contract. Even if that fairy story was true (and in order to enact that saving James would have to be given a comparable contract elsewhere), on the basis of there being no money for signings, it means to replace James and King (who we’ll illustrate at £10k a week) on a like for like budget basis we’d need:

- James and King to be given new contracts at the same level elsewhere

- Have to bring in three players at a total fee/wage level of £1m in the next six months. On a free agent basis we could pay each £12k p/w (but as free agents currently they’re unlikely to be up to standard) so you have to assume fees. And any fee reduces that wage available.

Basically, he’s talking nonsense and even the inflated James wage quoted doesn’t fund the replacements he’s on about unless there are some funds magically available and the Lansdowns have been lying. But that surely couldn’t be the case…

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Unlike under many, too many, previous managers, we no longer have leaches taking a salary but contributing nothing, spreading bad vibes with bad attitude. All that's gone. Thanks to Nigel Pearson.

His man-management and leadership were superb.

You are debating with a troll MM

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Agreed, I don't think there are any players who don't bring something to the table, I personally struggle to rate Joe Williams thst highly, but he still adds value, and there isn't anyone I can think of who doesn't even if I may not rate them as highly as others. 

To be fair that's the thing about Manning that has me most optimistic (that it's not in any way going to be a return to the mess Pearson came into) is that tactics and systems and all that aside in most of his pre match / post match interviews on the Oxford YouTube channels he often glosses over the tactical questions with a massive focus on the players as individuals and a collective. I said in the other thread he strikes me far more of a Nige type manager than an LJ type. 

That is a relief! Good stuff. 

Combining Pearson's man-management, and emphasis on getting the fundamental basics right, with a more tactical approach, sounds like just the ticket.

There are ex partners you've loved, and will always love, but you've moved on from. Life goes on. We just have to add Nige to the list.    

• Like 1