IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

13 minutes ago, asfred said:

I bumped into him as he was leaving the car park earlier. Had a bit of a chat and seems a nice chap, very articulate, and genuinely excited about the job. Didn't ask about back room staff. He asked if I could hold back on posting for a couple of hours, which I was happy to do. Oh, and was happy for me to take his pic (for proof, and all).

20231107_134415.jpg

Good quality pic.......excellent composition...!   Youv'e now got the arriving one, wonder how long you'll have to wait for the leaving one?  Ha!

2 minutes ago, The Coach said:

So it’s possible we don’t have pay off 3 years if end of season we don’t get promoted?

Because that’s what our chairman has stated right?

Well it's either the new boss or Tinnion and JL go in that case. I guess if Manning is top 10 at the end of the season he stays and those two go. However anything lower and Manning will be ditched by the other two. 

Lot of heads on the block given all the public speaking. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You've changed your tune given the fact you were on NP back from the moment he signed Danny Simpson.

It's unreal ain't it. This coming from someone who says she's stepped away from watching us, but also says our football under Pearson was awful. 

Any stick to try and beat Pearson with, she'll use it. 

Not everyone is happy with this appointment, and rightly so. We had a manager in place, and have been lied to by the board. By their own admission, it's gotta be top 6 or this guy is out. Otherwise their lies and BS is exposed even further. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Coach said:

So it’s possible we don’t have pay off 3 years if end of season we don’t get promoted?

All I’m saying is that termination clauses don’t have to match remaining term of contract.

• Like 2

Just now, Akira said:

It's unreal ain't it. This coming from someone who says she's stepped away from watching us, but also says our football under Pearson was awful. 

Any stick to try and beat Pearson with, she'll use it. 

Not everyone is happy with this appointment, and rightly so. We had a manager in place, and have been lied to by the board. By their own admission, it's gotta be top 6 or this guy is out. Otherwise their lies and BS is exposed even further. 

I'm ok with the appointment, but just calling a spade a spade. Don't call others out for negativity from the start when that same person was negative from the very start when NP took over. It's hypocrisy.

• Like 3

Just now, Riaz said:

People saying its underwhelming??

Personally I'm relieved.

Relieved we didnt get a big name like Lampard who is living off his playing career.

Doesn't really matter now does it. We've been around the houses since NP was binned. Now we've got this bloke that our media team couldn't even get his name right.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So what is the appropriate and respectful period of time before starting a " Manning Out" thread.

( just asking for a friend. Or Jon as I call him)

After the QPR game if we aren't in the top 2.

Good luck Liam 😅

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Theoretically, a drive up to Norwich and a flight to Bristol might be an easier commute than he has now? Also you would have to assume we supply good quality accommodation for the nights he stays here.

No direct flights to Bristol from Norwich (or there wasn't when we went up there for a wedding recently), nearest was exeter. Ended up driving. Never again, nice place but totally hidden from the rest of the country.

I would hope the bloke and his family move down here for his sake.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Coach said:

I keep seeing this brought up but haven't seen the quote. I've seen a quote of 'challenging around playoffs' and 'outperforming our top 10 budget' and an ambition of promotion. But nowhere have I seen JL say 'we have to get promotion this season'. 

Where did our chairman say we have to get promotion this season?

It’s reassuring to see the board appointing someone who fits their remit, and Oxford fans are very annoyed which is a good sign.

I had a feeling they’d be tempted by the novelty of appointing Lampard or someone like that and throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Sacking Pearson was absurd but not Manning’s fault. However, if he doesn’t get results quickly there will be a lot of pressure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the1stknowle said:

I keep seeing this brought up but haven't seen the quote. I've seen a quote of 'challenging around playoffs' and 'outperforming our top 10 budget' and an ambition of promotion. But nowhere have I seen JL say 'we have to get promotion this season'. 

Where did our chairman say we have to get promotion this season?

He said that’s the standard he expects from this squad, it was the basis for the decision to sack NP. He may find that comes back to haunt him, but let’s all hope it doesn’t and LM gets us up there.

• Like 1

Welcome Liam.

Despite being fairly critical of our managers who underperform (and there have been plenty), I will always give new ones the courtesy of giving them the time to prove themselves....and I really hope you do.

I'm afraid there are some on here that will never offer you that courtesy and will never accept you, mainly due to their adoration of the man you replaced. I suppose it's up to you to prove them wrong. Good luck! 

35 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

From the Oxford site: - Tim Williams, Oxford United’s Chief Executive Officer, added: “I am hugely disappointed to be losing Liam and Chris at this stage of the season, particularly given the support they had been given. 

Or in other words, f.off Judas.

I never get this, as tbh, he was contracted to them, and if they didn’t want him to leave etc, they could have said Bristol City you don’t have permission to talk to him, and to do so we want £10m. 
The fact is, they give permission and agree compensation, so they can’t really play that card. 

• Like 2

I’m still bitterly disappointed that Nigel and his experienced team have departed, but good luck to the new guy. 

I didn’t know who he was until rumours started circling a few days ago - but that’s on me because I don’t hugely keep on top of much outside of the championship. 

Let’s see how it goes…

We have the facilities in the stadium and training ground, a new head coach who it seems could grow to be very good in a few years.

Hopefully a top half finish this season. But our board personnel and high level football structure still concerns me and could hold us back imo on recent (and past) evidence.