IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

That's what a lot of our fans are overlooking. He was backed heavily at Oxford.

We have a good squad. We don't need to bring in many players and if Manning thinks we do, he's not the right guy for us. He needs to work with what he has got.

The expectation here is that he won't recieve that sort of backing.

Our fans won't put up with the tippy tippy side to side shit. 

It worries me that he's said "if the other side don't have the ball, they can't score" 

You are pretty angry it seems 

My expectations are at a minimum to maintain the current levels 40% winning League ratio and or 1.4 ppg. A fair injury permitting, points target for May maybe between 60-65, we have 21 now.

We achieved 18 from 14 under NP despite medium to bad injuries and  no Scott, rising to 21 from 15 under Fleming. Laat season albeit we had Semenyo for 4 games of it and Scott for the duration we achieved 32 from the 2nd half of the season.

Therefore to continue the progress, the positive signs 60-65 pts seems a reasonable baseline. By which I mean it should be the lower to medium end of expectations IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

This is my concern, yes the new breed of coaches need to be given their chance, but this is a guy stepping into a world that he has no knowledge of from the inside, hasn’t played at this level, hasn’t coached at this level, he has a relatively easy first batch of fixtures so that is in his favour, but I am concerned he really could crash and burn, I genuinely hope not, but it is one hell of a risk by JL and BT.

Under NP we had become relatively hard to beat, no hammerings this season, some close defeats, should the new guy change things radically we could all live to regret it.

I'm a Pearson man and think he was treated disrespectfully, at best, by know nothing no-marks.

But it was obvious he wasn't getting a new contract and so a change is best sooner rather than later. And I agree with changing to a coach with a more tactical approach as the right direction to go, especially as Pearson has left such a solid foundation to build on - one rooted in a group of players committed to doing the fundamental basics as well as they can. Hopefully, those fundamentals remain our bedrock for a good while yet and don't get forgotten or discarded just because there's a new head honcho.

If so, I think we'll be fine.

Lee Johnson didn't have any experience at this level, did he? Nor his father. Both didn't do so bad, did they? (I'm no LJ lover, btw.)

I suspect this bloke's a cut up above both of them.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

Don’t expect him to hit the ground running, his success at Oxford came this season after the board went all out to back him and 10 new players came in. 
He left us in 2nd place, some of the football was good, but a lot of it was tippy side to side shit. 
If he does do well, a sniff from a team above and he’ll be off.  Loyalty is not something he believes in.  Probably why he didn’t get a thank you from the Oxford board. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4ad018a41c2742b036d601f2d2fe51c8.jpeg

Which players are we going to sign from you?

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Possibly.

I was relatively keen on Evatt for some reason, but that aside I just am not sure whether a change now was required, believe should have got longer.

Will watch the Press Conference later and see what I think then. Rightly or wrongly what might assuage some of those fans is a clear and obvious upgrade but hope Manning does well.

👍

50 minutes ago, Cristored said:

Very impressive, a forward thinking modern coach….might we see some decent football down the gate.

He can’t afford to stick to his front foot principles though, he’s got til May to get us up to sixth so probably needs to be a little more pragmatic. Points win prizes so I’ll take a few scrappy 1-0s over tika taka 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My expectations are at a minimum to maintain the current levels 40% winning League ratio and or 1.4 ppg. A fair injury permitting, points target for May maybe between 60-65, we have 21 now.

We achieved 18 from 14 under NP despite medium to bad injuries and  no Scott, rising to 21 from 15 under Fleming. Laat season albeit we had Semenyo for 4 games of it and Scott for the duration we achieved 32 from the 2nd half of the season.

Therefore to continue the progress, the positive signs 60-65 pts seems a reasonable baseline. By which I mean it should be the lower to medium end of expectations IMO.

Il be judging Manning on 24 points from 16 games which is what Pearson would have been on after our easiest two games of the season. So that's borderline play off form

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"You stated that you sacked NP because you felt we had a squad that should be competing at the top, what makes you believe that LM can deliver those immediate goals?

Irrelevant because he doesn’t need to, not his fault you fell for the company line. He will be given time and rightly so.

24 minutes ago, lenred said:

Blimey.  Tough audience!  He’s basically just spent 30 mins asking some pretty involved questions in front of his new boss and the local and National media.   Thought he did really well with lots of detail and adapted to the different types of questions.   

Very impressive press conference. Proper answers none of the LJ nonsense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Absolutely. 

And holding the ownership to account for the things they have said. 

For me that looks like the expectation that we get in the play offs this season.

The expectation from me is that Manning has to deliver with the squad he has got. 

Money will be made available in January but in my opinion it should be of the similar amount as Nige would have recieved. 

In my opinion there is no money available to bring in players to fit the formation and style Manning may wish to play. Manning needs to adapt to what we have got.

I'd be absolutely pissed off if Manning suddenly allowed to sign 5 players in January when most thought that Pearson needed at least two players in the summer which would have seen us compete more.

Those are the things the club stated so I will hold them to that.

Are you in love with Nigel? Genuine question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm a Pearson man and think he was treated disrespectfully, at best, by know nothing no-marks.

But it was obvious he wasn't getting a new contract and so a change is best sooner rather than later. And I agree with changing to a coach with a more tactical approach as the right direction to go, especially as Pearson has left such a solid foundation to build on - one rooted in a group of players committed to doing the fundamental basics as well as they can. Hopefully, those fundamentals remain our bedrock for a good while yet and don't get forgotten or discarded just because there's a new head honcho.

If so, I think we'll be fine.

Lee Johnson didn't have any experience at this level, did he? Nor his father. Both didn't do so bad, did they? (I'm no LJ lover, btw.)

I suspect this bloke's a cut up above both of them.

My concern from the press conference was that LM didn't really speak about the squad and its qualities and the work ethic it has. Touched on it a little but not a lot. 

It very much come across as I'm here now and we are going to do things my way. 

I'm not sure that's the right way to go about it. 

This is a squad that Pearson brought and the players will still feel upset about him leaving and they may have a loyalty towards him.

To a lesser extent it reminds me of when Clough went in at Leeds after Rennie and he told the players to forget everything they had done before. It didn't end well. 

Manning would do well to come in here and to not change things dramatically over night. Continue on the lines of Pearson and Co and slowly introduce his own ideas. 

If he comes in with that iron hammer it will not go well.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

15 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Someone gave a very valid answer to this earlier.

If the goal was promotion/playoffs, fine, but LM isn't starting from an equal ground with the other clubs from the start of the season.

He's coming in with 1/3 of the season gone and 5 points to make up over those in the playoffs.

So to achieve them now he'd have to outperform his remit over the remaining 2/3s of a season.

If this had all happened over the summer with the same course of events then your argument would be stronger.

5 points over 2/3 a season so not a lot so I certainly don’t accept that as a very valid argument, especially as JL explicitly stated he was making the change now to get promotion this season.

However - even if we accepted the validity of the argument - the expectation still has to be our points average over the rest of the season is in the top six in the division. If that happens, Jon Lansdown can possibly explain how the new manager has met his expectations. 

If the points average is not in the top six, the argument - valid or not - flies out of the window completely and Jon Lansdown has to judge Manning’s appointment as a failure and explains to the fans why that failure occurred.

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Spoke well and lots of similarities but let’s see what happens. I hope he goes well and accelerates us forward but a lot of pressure thanks to the board and those crazy objectives set last week. To sack Nigel for Manning and get rid of a whole backroom team really is last chance saloon for many fans with this board. Good luck. 

Mate, they blew it years ago.

Just one example:

Clowns, the lot of them, for not finding a way to back Cotts when we were promoted. We had MASSIVE momentum (hello Ipswich!) and goodness knows how far that could have carried us.

But we allowed ourselves to be derailed by bickering off the pitch - for which Cotts has to share some if the blame.

Him and Pearson, 2 excellent managers of football players, derailed by their relationship with the suits above them. Both had good things going on, derailed by one common denominator.

Guernsey's been good for one thing only -'paying the bills. If he doesn't fancy doing that anything - thank you, cheerio.

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

Thought he did a great job off the pitch, on the pitch I thought it was pretty average. was never getting a new deal and wasn’t getting the best of our signings and didn’t threaten enough up top.that’s my view on him.

Well Jon, had you of not sold Alex Scott and then failed to replace him then we would have seen a better style on the pitch.

Had you of given Nige some money from the Scott money then you'd have seen a better style.

But as it was we had to be efficient with the small injury depleted squad. 

Did you really think we could win at Cardiff with just the 11 fit first team players? 

4 minutes ago, Cristored said:

Are you in love with Nigel? Genuine question.

I find it genuinely weird how some people are acting. Yes - it wasn’t great how ‘Nige’ was treated, but the cold harsh reality is the football was bang average and the results the same 

Anyone would think we had just let the messiah go 

People have been brainwashed 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting appointment, like to see a young manager given a chance.

He was really impressive in Wednesday's first season in League One, I thought they deserved to go up automatically that year. Finished above us and Sunderland in a really competitive season.

All went wrong last season of course, but an MK Dons fan I knew predicted it before the season started with them losing their best players. 

Similar age to Danny Rohl who we've just brought in and he's already got us playing much better, as some of you will (hopefully) have seen a bit of at the weekend.

Always tough to follow a popular manager though, so I can see why it's got a mixed reaction. I'm not over Darren Moore yet. 🥲

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1