IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My concern from the press conference was that LM didn't really speak about the squad and its qualities and the work ethic it has. Touched on it a little but not a lot. 

It very much come across as I'm here now and we are going to do things my way. 

I'm not sure that's the right way to go about it. 

This is a squad that Pearson brought and the players will still feel upset about him leaving and they may have a loyalty towards him.

To a lesser extent it reminds me of when Clough went in at Leeds after Rennie and he told the players to forget everything they had done before. It didn't end well. 

Manning would do well to come in here and to not change things dramatically over night. Continue on the lines of Pearson and Co and slowly introduce his own ideas. 

If he comes in with that iron hammer it will not go well.

Ever thought the ‘work ethic’ might be the reason for all the injuries? 

Maybe busting our bollocks every game is why players bodies keep breaking down. 

A different style may help us 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My concern from the press conference was that LM didn't really speak about the squad and its qualities and the work ethic it has. Touched on it a little but not a lot. 

It very much come across as I'm here now and we are going to do things my way. 

I'm not sure that's the right way to go about it. 

This is a squad that Pearson brought and the players will still feel upset about him leaving and they may have a loyalty towards him.

To a lesser extent it reminds me of when Clough went in at Lee

Clough wound up the Leeds players and supporters before he even arrived at the club, calling them cheats and thugs. Tbf, he actually then said that to the players faces. When you have personalities like Hunter, Bremner, Giles, Charlton, and the like, it didn't go very well and the players just wouldn't play for him. He lasted a few weeks.

I don't think LM will do that do you ?

Its as far away from the Clough and Leeds situation that you could possibly get.

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Spoke well and lots of similarities but let’s see what happens. I hope he goes well and accelerates us forward but a lot of pressure thanks to the board and those crazy objectives set last week. To sack Nigel for Manning and get rid of a whole backroom team really is last chance saloon for many fans with this board. Good luck. 

I think had at least Fleming of stayed I'd not feel as if we've gambled by getting rid of them all and replacing them with inexperienced people. 

I think it would have been difficult to keep Fleming due to his loyalties to Nige but I think if he was still here, I'd actually feel pretty confident about this. I think Flemings experience would have been invaluable for Manning. 

33 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd be absolutely pissed off if Manning suddenly allowed to sign 5 players in January when most thought that Pearson needed at least two players in the summer which would have seen us compete more.

Those are the things the club stated so I will hold them to that.

Maybe time to take a few deep breaths mate and let it go? I was as upset as anyone at the manner of NP's dismissal, and of the lack of signings in the summer.

But to say you'll be pissed off with new signings in January, really? 

Let's all move on, leave our agendas behind and get behind the new man, yes? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Clough wound up the Leeds players and supporters before he even arrived at the club, calling them cheats and thugs. Tbf, he actually then said that to the players faces. When you have personalities like Hunter, Bremner, Giles, Charlton, and the like, it didn't go very well and the players just wouldn't play for him. He lasted a few weeks.

I don't think LM will do that do you ?

Its as far away from the Clough and Leeds situation that you could possibly get.

Hence why I said to a lesser extent. 

• Haha 1

Just now, City Rocker said:

Maybe time to take a few deep breaths mate and let it go? I was as upset as anyone at the manner of NP's dismissal, and of the lack of signings in the summer.

But to say you'll be pissed off with new signings in January, really? 

Let's all move on, leave our agendas behind and get behind the new man, yes? 

I'm not telling you what to think or feel, so please don't tell me. Thanks.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

5 points over 2/3 a season so not a lot so I certainly don’t accept that as a very valid argument, especially as JL explicitly stated he was making the change now to get promotion this season.

However - even if we accepted the validity of the argument - the expectation still has to be our points average over the rest of the season is in the top six in the division. If that happens, Jon Lansdown can possibly explain how the new manager has met his expectations. 

If the points average is not in the top six, the argument flies out of the window completely and Jon Lansdown has to judge Manning’s appointment as a failure and explains to the fans why that failure occurred.

The bolded bit I do agree with, and nearly included in my own post.

First para, yes and no 

5 points over 2/3 of a season isn't huge, but we're also far enough in to suggest those up there are the ones there on merit and outperforming those plus the other 4 teams between us and the playoffs is harder than simply "it's just 5 points"

5 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

That’s interesting, the Academy employs a few teachers, is that where you work?

God know they wouldn’t be able to pay half my salary.

9 minutes ago, SBB said:

Most of us were, you would’ve known that if you’d been around a little longer. 

Then you were had, sorry. Did a solid job but no where near good enough to justify that mindset.

12 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I find it genuinely weird how some people are acting. Yes - it wasn’t great how ‘Nige’ was treated, but the cold harsh reality is the football was bang average and the results the same 

Anyone would think we had just let the messiah go 

People have been brainwashed 

Yep Nigel was clever he knew exactly what he was doing in that sense. 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

One interesting thing I picked up on was that he kept saying "this place screams high performance" 

Pearsons attitude was the opposite of that. Nige used to say something like "it's only a building, it's the people that make it high performance" 

I can see you in 50 years going round the streets with your leaflets preaching the cult of Nige.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not at all, just a desire to judge by the same standards and metrics I assume.

That’s not how it works, they wanted him gone and that was their excuse, we all know it’s bollocks.

Just now, luke_bristol said:

No*

Nowhere*

C-, Must do better ;)

It’s 2023 letters have been replaced with numbers .

2 minutes ago, Cristored said:

Yep Nigel was clever he knew exactly what he was doing in that sense. 

I can see you in 50 years going round the streets with your leaflets preaching the cult of Nige.

So your a teacher?

Bollocks, teacher my ass. My daughter IS a teacher and no teacher would ever ask someone "are you in love with Nigel Pearson"? Serious question.

You are not a teacher but you are a ****....

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

5 points over 2/3 a season so not a lot so I certainly don’t accept that as a very valid argument, especially as JL explicitly stated he was making the change now to get promotion this season.

However - even if we accepted the validity of the argument - the expectation still has to be our points average over the rest of the season is in the top six in the division. If that happens, Jon Lansdown can possibly explain how the new manager has met his expectations. 

If the points average is not in the top six, the argument - valid or not - flies out of the window completely and Jon Lansdown has to judge Manning’s appointment as a failure and explains to the fans why that failure occurred.

If you caught the presser earlier you might have notice that JL has already back-peddled a bit - he's not expecting a top six finish under the new boss. Said something about not putting him under too much pressure.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If you caught the presser earlier you might have notice that JL has already back-peddled a bit - he's not expecting a top six finish under the new boss. Said something about not putting him under too much pressure.

They never were ‘expecting’ a top six spot even with Pearson, I don’t think.

While it’s happened now, that was just the language they needed to try and soften the sacking, and the timing was as they knew we stood a good chance to beating Weds and QPR and didn’t want to sack a guy they didn’t like who had us at the brink of a playoff spot.

But it’s gone now: the sour taste remains and I’m not suggesting we forgive and forget, but Manning didn’t fire Pearson, and we have to see what he is about.

Without being flippant, you hope it’s a Ranieri scenario where what Pearson built ends up the foundation for what his successor achieves, as he’s undoubtedly left a better legacy than the he arrived to, but we can only see.

I’ll be disappointed if we go into the tank now, but equally can’t imagine without injury luck changing and some dramatic and unexpected spending that we’ll be challenging, but stranger things have happened.

He has my support as they all do at the start.

• Like 4

Genuinely I wish Manning well. Heard his snippet on Radio Bristol, still to watch his Press Conference etc.

There will be doubters of course and the NP dismissal still leaves a sour taste but the one thing Manning can do to win over fans.

Win games, a fair chunk of them.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Genuinely I wish Manning well. Heard his snippet on Radio Bristol, still to watch his Press Conference etc.

There will be doibtrts of course and the NP dismissal still leaves a sour taste but the one thing Manning can do to win over fans.

Win games, a fair chunk of them.

And this is what it comes down to Mr P, winning games. 

If he comes in and has a difficult start then there is no period of grace. 

NP got that period of grace because fans understood all the restrictions he was working under. LM doesn't really have those restrictions. Injuries aside, he has a talented squad and he has to have them outperforming their ability pretty quickly.

Progress may have been slow under Pearson, but we were making progress and I have no doubt that either this season or next season we'd have got into the play offs. 

So the expection from me is that Manning needs to accelerate that progress and if he does absolutely fantastic, but if he doesn't he will be judged on that. He doesn't have that time to reshape the squad etc. He has to hit the ground running. Big pressure for him.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

Im not. When did i say that?

Im pointing out your posts are very negative about everything BCFC. At some point i hope you regain some positivity 👍

I lost my positivity when we sacked a manager who we was making slow progress with and replaced him with a inexperienced head coach.

I will gain some positivity if Manning at the very least has the same record as Pearson. 

But right now, I legitimately have concerns that all the hard work that has been done over the past few years, could have all been for nothing.