IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I lost my positivity when we sacked a manager who we was making slow progress with and replaced him with a inexperienced head coach.

I will gain some positivity if Manning at the very least has the same record as Pearson. 

But right now, I legitimately have concerns that all the hard work that has been done over the past few years, could have all been for nothing. 

Manning isn’t an anarchist mate, he’s a football manager.

27 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If you caught the presser earlier you might have notice that JL has already back-peddled a bit - he's not expecting a top six finish under the new boss. Said something about not putting him under too much pressure.

I’ve been out all day so didn’t catch the press conference but I’m not surprised.

18 minutes ago, samo II said:

They never were ‘expecting’ a top six spot even with Pearson, I don’t think.

While it’s happened now, that was just the language they needed to try and soften the sacking, and the timing was as they knew we stood a good chance to beating Weds and QPR and didn’t want to sack a guy they didn’t like who had us at the brink of a playoff spot.

But it’s gone now: the sour taste remains and I’m not suggesting we forgive and forget, but Manning didn’t fire Pearson, and we have to see what he is about.

Without being flippant, you hope it’s a Ranieri scenario where what Pearson built ends up the foundation for what his successor achieves, as he’s undoubtedly left a better legacy than the he arrived to, but we can only see.

I’ll be disappointed if we go into the tank now, but equally can’t imagine without injury luck changing and some dramatic and unexpected spending that we’ll be challenging, but stranger things have happened.

He has my support as they all do at the start.

This is a good post and I do agree. I know the club never seriously expected Pearson to be challenging for promotion but I do think the Chair and Technical Director have to be accountable for the messages they communicate to the fans. 

FWIW, I will get behind Manning on Saturday and I don’t plan to judge him on my feelings about Pearson’s sacking. However I also don’t want the board to be able to walk back on their public statements without serious scrutiny from the fans and press.

• Like 8

What a week it’s been. Lansdown and Bristol Sport have hardly covered themselves in glory by coming up with feeble excuses for the sacking and then sending a stream of drones onto OTIB to rubbish Pearson using tactics that Putin would be proud of.

Obviously I hope Manning succeeds but forgive me for being cynical after seeing their previous attempts at appointing young unknown talents. 

Welcome to my club Liam. I’d like to wish you the very best of luck in your new role.

I will use the club’s own rationale for sacking Nigel Pearson as a yardstick for how  successful our new Head Coach is.

In last week’s interviews it was made crystal clear that the hierarchy expect the current squad to be capable of promotion or at the very least competing at the top end of the table.

“We currently have a squad deemed capable of winning promotion/ being at the top end of the league,” “100% the aim this season is promotion,” “This squad should be at the top end,” “the aim is promotion and we wouldn’t have made the change if we didn’t think we could achieve that,” “there would be no point in making the change now if we were happy to just bumble along for the rest of this season”. 

Personally, I think that’s delusional but what do I know, I’ve only been supporting the club for 60 odd years.

It was also strongly implied by JL and GM that some of the proceeds from recent transfers will put us in a good place when it comes to recruitment in 2024, something that LM will have an opportunity to influence.

So, I’m going to give this a year and as always will continue to fully support my team. I’ve consistently made it clear that I was a big Nigel Pearson fan and I was outraged at his sacking.

Looking forward, with an open mind, to seeing what happens under LM.

• Like 7
  • Robin 4

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I lost my positivity when we sacked a manager who we was making slow progress with and replaced him with a inexperienced head coach.

I will gain some positivity if Manning at the very least has the same record as Pearson. 

But right now, I legitimately have concerns that all the hard work that has been done over the past few years, could have all been for nothing. 

Derby County 27 May 2016 8 October 2016 14 3 5 6 21.43 [83][108]
OH Leuven 22 September 2017 3 February 2019 56 18 15 23 32.14 [110]
Watford 6 December 2019 19 July 2020 22 7 5 10 31.82 [108][failed verification]
Bristol City 24 February 2021 29 October 2023 131 42 32 57 32.0

And I will gain some negativity if, at the very least, he has the same record as Nige since 2016 but, of course, Liam won't last a full season here if he doesn't improve results and ends up with the same track record as NP..

What is it with you that you seem to think that NP won the world club championship with us??? It's like an obsession.

He did a solid job, he addressed some major issues but was sacked with us in a worse League position than Johnson and Holden. But that hides the good things he did yet exposes the bad.

Mann up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And I will gain some negativity if, at the very least, he has the same record as Nige since 2016 but, of course, Liam won't last a full season here if he doesn't improve results and ends up with the same track record as NP..

What is it with you that you seem to think that NP won the world club championship with us??? It's like an obsession.

He did a solid job, he addressed some major issues but was sacked with us in a worse League position than Johnson and Holden. But that hides the good things he did yet exposes the bad.

Mann up.

Let me clarify, by the same record as Pearson I meant the record Nigel had this season, not over the past few years. I thought that was obvious. 

Mann up? Really? 

9 minutes ago, Cristored said:

Pathetic.

Unless you're going to tell us who you are, f off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Mann up.

Completely agree some of our fan base are pathetic. He was one of a long list of managers yet he has his devotees. 

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

Pathetic.

Why? Wasn't the whole point of sacking Pearson and appointing Manning that the club expects him to do a better job?

I'll back him and reserve judgement but if the club think the squad is good enough for the top 6 he has to outperform Nigel surely?

Jon is now talking about not putting him under pressure but making those kinds of claims put pressure on before he even got the job.

• Like 5

Just now, chinapig said:

Why? Wasn't the whole point of sacking Pearson and appointing Manning that the club expects him to do a better job?

I'll back him and reserve judgement but if the club think the squad is good enough for the top 6 he has to outperform Nigel surely?

Jon is now talking about not putting him under pressure but making those kinds of claims put pressure on before he even got the job.

Only by people like you who are foolish enough to not ignore Lansdowns fake news, he wasn’t sacked because of results he was sacked because they had enough of him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I must say there were a couple of comments in there which had given me O’Driscoll vibes. The bit where he states he’s not focusing on outcomes - I understand what he’s trying to say, yet it brings back horrible memories of when SO’D said he wasn’t looking at the league table (despite the fact we were in the relegation slots!!). That said, there are bits in there which “align” to Pearson. The setting of culture, often one of the more challenging tasks he’d expect, has been done for him. He has a solid platform to work with. I get the impression he’s in between LJ and NP with the way he is trying to articulate his thoughts. Which I am on board with. 

With a lot of frustration towards the board currently, I really hope he hits the ground running as managing (sorry, head coaching) the likes of West Ham U’23, MK and Oxford will be a different kettle of fish to us. I hope he’ll build himself up some credit before we inevitably endure a patch of poorer form. 

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

Only by people like you who are foolish enough to not ignore Lansdowns fake news, he wasn’t sacked because of results he was sacked because they had enough of him.

Why not be brave and say that to the media then Jon? Instead of making yourself look like a 🍆

Kinda pathetic isn't it? 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why not be brave and say that to the media then Jon? Instead of making yourself look like a 

Ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I must say there were a couple of comments in there which had given me O’Driscoll vibes. The bit where he states he’s not focusing on outcomes - I understand what he’s trying to say, yet it brings back horrible memories of when SO’D said he wasn’t looking at the league table (despite the fact we were in the relegation slots!!). That said, there are bits in there which “align” to Pearson. The setting of culture, often one of the more challenging tasks he’d expect, has been done for him. He has a solid platform to work with. I get the impression he’s in between LJ and NP with the way he is trying to articulate his thoughts. Which I am on board with. 

With a lot of frustration towards the board currently, I really hope he hits the ground running as managing (sorry, head coaching) the likes of West Ham U’23, MK and Oxford will be a different kettle of fish to us. I hope he’ll build himself up some credit before we inevitably endure a patch of poorer form. 

SOD was well and truly past it to be fair, can’t remember a manager anywhere being as miserable as he was.

• Like 1

Just now, Cristored said:

So Jon is a liar then. Helpful to have that confirmed by somebody from the club though.

• Like 1

Jon Lansdown -

Needs to smarten up. Looked a tramp who just woke up compared to Manning in the photos. 
If you ignore he can’t speak to a live audience (which is a big ask) he looked far more comfortable than when announcing Holden. It does seem there is a plan. However that plan has including bare faced lies and deception. There is room in the budget, just not for Nige. He has backtracked on promotion talk. He said if we don’t get promotion, then the coach doesn’t go (along those lines), but that’s the stick they used to sack Nige.

Liam Manning -

He is a tough listen. It might warm up but I won’t be rushing to watch the Thursday press conferences for now. Any comparisons to LJ is bizarre. This guy has clearly put in the hard yards to get a Championship job, unlike LJ. He seems far more assured of his methods. I am always abit suspicious when young managers move up too quickly without finishing jobs, eg Russell Martin/Michael Beale. Be under no illusions, if he is offered a job by a team with parachute payments, he’ll be gone. We will see if it works. Good luck to him.

• Like 4

Just now, chinapig said:

So Jon is a liar then. Helpful to have that confirmed by somebody from the club though.

Of course he is, he wasn’t sacked due to results as if that was the case he would’ve been gone in January last year…..he was binned because the club was looking elsewhere NP found out and started moaning to the media, plus there view was why keep him when is gena go in summer anyway. Why they tried to blame the results part is beyond me, stupid. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah he seems like an impressive guy. Am looking forward to his tenure

46 minutes ago, samo II said:

They never were ‘expecting’ a top six spot even with Pearson, I don’t think.

While it’s happened now, that was just the language they needed to try and soften the sacking, and the timing was as they knew we stood a good chance to beating Weds and QPR and didn’t want to sack a guy they didn’t like who had us at the brink of a playoff spot.

But it’s gone now: the sour taste remains and I’m not suggesting we forgive and forget, but Manning didn’t fire Pearson, and we have to see what he is about.

Without being flippant, you hope it’s a Ranieri scenario where what Pearson built ends up the foundation for what his successor achieves, as he’s undoubtedly left a better legacy than the he arrived to, but we can only see.

I’ll be disappointed if we go into the tank now, but equally can’t imagine without injury luck changing and some dramatic and unexpected spending that we’ll be challenging, but stranger things have happened.

He has my support as they all do at the start.

They didn’t like the way NP questioned things clearly. Yes person mode definitely in place already. 

8 minutes ago, Cristored said:

Why they tried to blame the results part is beyond me, stupid. 

Well they weren’t going to come out and be honest about the reason were they, anybody that thought that is naive to the extreme.

The fanbase has been treated with absolute disdain and contempt for a long long time now by Mr Lansdown, it peaked for me when the words ‘its my club i will do what i like with it’ were uttered out of his mouth not too long ago. 

Anyway i sincerely hope this works out and as i’ve said in a previous post first impressions of Manning he does come across well. Means absolutely F all though untill we see results coming in so i will reserve judgement, hell of a lot of pressure on the bloke - i hope him and his team can deliver.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 2

I wish LM all the best but it is fantasy to think he is going to get us promoted with our current squad this season. However good a coach you can only do so much and there are many far superior squads in the championship than ours. LM was fortunate enough to be working with some of the best players in League One and without doubt had them playing to their potential and hence their league position but the championship is a very different proposition. Like I say I really wish him well but I think it will be a very short tenure. 

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Let me clarify, by the same record as Pearson I meant the record Nigel had this season, not over the past few years. I thought that was obvious. 

Mann up? Really? 

I don't think it's obvious. Genuinely- please explain his record this season?

For the (my)record: win or lose what impressed me this season is that the team played for each other and fought to the end and win or lose, were imo, fit to wear the shirt. Trouble being that I genuinely think that Nige had reached the end of the road and  was on his way out- one way or another. His health issues tipped the balance both for him and BCFC.