IGNORED

Gavin Marshall (Bristol Sport CEO) interview

BCFC Rich

Watching it back again, they’re either extremely ill advised, deluded, or both. Saying the fanbase is worthy of getting promoted….not really how it works pal. Has absolutely nothing to do with it. Stop trying to butter us up, Jon did that for 50% of his interview and everyone saw through it. 

Talking about significant budget investment…again, do us a favour. 

Calling Cardiff game “the final straw” - as if we needed any more assurance that they don’t bother actually watching these games. If they bothered to pay attention to it, and the nuances involved, they’d have seen it as a clear picture of a hugely dedicated and committed squad behind their manager. 

They’re clearly trying to spin this as “our amazing incredible fans deserve the premier league” as a way of wowing us and making us feel fuzzy. But we see right through it. It’s pure fantasy. 

& as for saying promotion is the ultimate goal we’re working towards….show me a club in the world that would say “no sorry, don’t really want to get promoted to the highest possible division this season, thanks but no thanks” 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

as for saying promotion is the ultimate goal we’re working towards….show me a club in the world that would say “no sorry, don’t really want to get promoted to the highest possible division this season, thanks but no thanks” 

Actually there was a season when Ashton said promotion wasn't our aim!

Which was a transparent attempt to make it clear to us that Johnson's job was safe imo.

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Watching it back again, they’re either extremely ill advised, deluded, or both. Saying the fanbase is worthy of getting promoted….not really how it works pal. Has absolutely nothing to do with it. Stop trying to butter us up, Jon did that for 50% of his interview and everyone saw through it. 

Talking about significant budget investment…again, do us a favour. 

Calling Cardiff game “the final straw” - as if we needed any more assurance that they don’t bother actually watching these games. If they bothered to pay attention to it, and the nuances involved, they’d have seen it as a clear picture of a hugely dedicated and committed squad behind their manager. 

They’re clearly trying to spin this as “our amazing incredible fans deserve the premier league” as a way of wowing us and making us feel fuzzy. But we see right through it. It’s pure fantasy. 

& as for saying promotion is the ultimate goal we’re working towards….show me a club in the world that would say “no sorry, don’t really want to get promoted to the highest possible division this season, thanks but no thanks” 

The laughable thing is the more puppets they put forward to say the same thing the less we believe it. All it needs is Steve to spout the same bollocks and we have the full set. The reality is they think the majority of our fans are scumbags and that is one reason why Steve comes nowhere near us any more........that really is the truth. Some of the stuff that the Ownership and BS have sanctioned over the last few days has ensured they are finished with a larger percentage of the support base than is sustainable.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Will watch later.  I’ve met Gavin a few times, he’s fine.

Whats his expertise beyond finances? 

I watched the video and he is eloquent. Its not apparent if he knows anything about football.

Bristol City should be challenging at the top end of the table. Why because they say so. They have a great squad of players, 100% promotion this season. Significant investment this summer. The pieces are in place. Its great and fantastic. 

Its eloquently delusional. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

31 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Whats his expertise beyond finances?

Excel!!!  I don’t know other than he’s a big general sports fan.

I watched the video and he is eloquent. Its not apparent if he knows anything about football.

Bristol City should be challenging at the top end of the table. Why because they say so.

That is exactly the same bollocks as saying all the fluffy words about forward-thinking, high-press football.  It’s words, meaningless words.

Did you see the Dave Horseman first interview that I posted the other day.  It’s the first time I’ve heard any manager try to describe those buzzwords in an appointment interview.

They have a great squad of players, 100% promotion this season. Significant investment this summer. The pieces are in place. Its great and fantastic. 

Its eloquently delusional. 

Yep, it’s not a great squad at all.  At best it needs a bit of “stars aligning” (luck) for it to be successful.  On paper it is not good enough.  Our “hope” as fans was that it magically comes together over 46 games and we do a Coventry.  It’s not a strategic view.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

14 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

@Davefevs do you have the stats to back up his comments on the “we’re in the top 10 in the league for fan base, wages” etc please? As a quick Google on average attendances has us 12th and average wage bill also 12th.

Not being rude, I couldn’t give a toss about our position as a fan base, it’s irrelevant.

As for wage bill, I posted on the “interview with JL” thread that I see us in the bottom half (15-17th).  There’s some “data” in there and some assumptions.

• Like 2

It was the best interview of the four I've seen as he faced a few direct questions the others didn't and remained articulate.

However, it sort of grates on me that they wheel out a bloke who I assume is very good at what he does, to speak about something outside of his remit and just tows the party line on the subject. 

The squad is nowhere near promotion material, its not bad, but it isn't good enough for promotion. Just about every supporter knows that and I just find it a bit worrying that they keep saying it is good enough for promotion. They would have to be stupid to believe it. Its just a  mantra designed to justify NPs sacking and I find it irritating that they think if they say it enough times the supporters will believe it. Its arrogant and slightly insulting imo.

Other than that he said what I'd expect him to say, nothing more and nothing less.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

It is meaningless to quote transfer fees v spend without taking account of the wages. Fact is we have been spending more than we earn every season for years and we all know it. Maybe Lansdown doesn't want to go straight back to the FFP limit. I can't blame him for getting fed up with bankrolling the club when he gets very little excitement and a lot of stick. If he can find a willing buyer then best for everyone.

The wages only lowered under the time of Nigel, not once did they go higher than when he joined and they never went up, always down. I can accept the Steve Lansdown not wanting to bankroll the club whilst it continues to lose money but again, under Pearson the wages were on a constant decline, the spend and outgoing on fees was heavily in favour of us taking more in, hence in the interviews it was said there would be money for transfers in 2024.

• Like 2