IGNORED

Has Nige played a blinder?

sh1t_ref_again

Sorry to start a new thread, as if we do not have enough, but thought this was a slightly different angle.

It struck me that Nige is a clever and canny bloke and has perhaps instigated his move out and quite happy about it. NP is in a very difficult position with his health with an unknown prognosis, so if you are coming towards the end of you contract and have the feeling it is not going to be renewed, you could be of a mindset, do I really want to be putting all my time and effort in to the job when likelihood is I am not getting a new contract. So rather than having months of stress and trying to manage a family, treatment and work life balance by pushing the buttons of the powers to be when he put contract and maybe getting sacked soon, into the public domain, he forced the issue. I am sure Nige is of an age and financial stability where he does not need to work and having health issues and a few close friends recently pass on, it does change your view on what is important in life and if you don't need the money, work is not always one of them.

Its difficult to know from the outside, if there has been a bust up and if so how severe, but the SL nest egg comment was strange as it was all about putting money ready for either next season or the next manager, NP will know exactly why this was said and perhaps has known unless we somehow got promoted then no way was he getting a new contract.

I am upset NP has gone as really like him and will go down as one of my favourite managers, but I am also wise enough to know we do not get told the full picture and as per JL interview, mentioned there is a lot that cannot be said to the fans, which I accept. So if NP did or did not force his sacking, I am pleased he can now concentrate on the most important thing, getting better and wish him well for a speedy recovery.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 3
  • Facepalm 5

I think firstly he wanted to stay and continue to build what he thought was a great project.

But if you are being told you aren’t getting a new contract (which is a perfectly fine decision for board to make) it generally goes two ways:

- do want out now

- do they want you out now

I guess there’s a third option

- work together to transition to the successor 

I’d have rather the third option, feels smooth, but the first two options we probably won’t ever know for sure.  And I suspect we’ve all heard stuff or of the mindset that makes us sit on one side or the other.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think firstly he wanted to stay and continue to build what he thought was a great project.

But if you are being told you aren’t getting a new contract (which is a perfectly fine decision for board to make) it generally goes two ways:

- do want out now

I’d have rather the third option, feels smooth, but the first two options we probably won’t ever know for sure.  And I suspect we’ve all heard stuff or of the mindset that makes us sit on one side or the other.

The truth is none of us know but I tend to agree, I think he did want to stay, but when that is not looking likely (and maybe even more unlikely if taking a lot of time off now or over the next few months) I can imagine Nige getting disillusioned and thinking I don't need this, back me with a new contract now or sack me.

He could of walked out, but then makes him look poor and no pay off,

You instigate your removal, which happens in business as your know your contract will be paid up and you will sign a confidentially contract

Working on a transition, I think Nige is an all in or not at all sort of person, so out I think is preferable,  particularly when he has his health and well being to consider.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The truth is none of us know but I tend to agree, I think he did want to stay, but when that is not looking likely (and maybe even more unlikely if taking a lot of time off now or over the next few months) I can imagine Nige getting disillusioned and thinking I don't need this, back me with a new contract now or sack me.

He could of walked out, but then makes him look poor and no pay off,

You instigate your removal, which happens in business as your know your contract will be paid up and you will sign a confidentially contract

Working on a transition, I think Nige is an all in or not at all sort of person, so out I think is preferable,  particularly when he has his health and well being to consider.

Agree.  Re but in bold, I think if you are allowed to have influence who your successor is, then that might be different…and again I’ve no idea how the conversations went.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

- do want out now

IMO the third option was the clear one to do. If SL didn’t want NP anymore then allow him to work the rest of his contract, be open with him and the fans that we want to go in a different direction after NP has steadied the ship and hope the fans will support the idea.

I would reckon a good 75% of the current SL detractors while may not agreeing with that, would at least respect and understand the decision.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

IMO the third option was the clear one to do. If SL didn’t want NP anymore then allow him to work the rest of his contract, be open with him and the fans that we want to go in a different direction after NP has steadied the ship and hope the fans will support the idea.

I would reckon a good 75% of the current SL detractors while may not agreeing with that, would at least respect and understand the decision.

Yeh, and this is what I was advocating for all along.

Some told me it was pie in the sky to think that the ownership could think like this. I guess they were right.

It's a shame as we've just acted in the same old way to create an unnecessary crisis.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, grifty said:

But that is missing the point, that perhaps Nige did not want to carry on under those circumstances and the thrust of my post was Nige is happy to be out the door now if he was not going to get a new contract, as he has other more important issues to worry about

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But that is missing the point, that perhaps Nige did not want to carry on under those circumstances and the thrust of my post was Nige is happy to be out the door now if he was not going to get a new contract, as he has other more important issues to worry about

NP might have thought that, but the reason for sacking him wouldn’t have been “poor results” it would have been irreconcilable differences.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, grifty said:

NP might have thought that, but the reason for sacking him wouldn’t have been “poor results” it would have been irreconcilable differences.

Sort of agree with your point, but if Nige was aware of some discontent about results for a while, it was him that pushed it in to the open forum and made it back me or sack me

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

"It struck me that Nige is a clever and canny bloke and has perhaps instigated his move out and quite happy about it."

Forward planning; there might soon be a managerial vacancy at Old Trafford.

Don't think we will see Nige doing much in football until his health issues are resolved. Also some time ago I remember seeing posts about if Nige wants to continue and maybe having interests outside of football.

Hope we get to see him on TV as a pundit, as such a great speaker 

• Like 1

Think you may not be far off. I've had a similar line of thought. Clever people always try and maneuvere themselves into a win-win situation. Think he was trying to protect his mates though and that part of Nige's plan has possibly gone a bit pear-shaped.

Didn't join the major Lansdown/Tins 'pile on', in part, because of these thoughts although they clearly have played a bad hand in dealing with this developing situation.

Unfortunate that it came to this as I generally really liked what Nige was doing.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  Re but in bold, I think if you are allowed to have influence who your successor is, then that might be different…and again I’ve no idea how the conversations went.

Maybe some owners are wary of the out going Manager influencing who steps into their shoes after Ferguson / Moyes, as that didn’t end well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Completely agree that there's more to this saga than simply poor results. I stated it several times much to the chagrin of many.

I completely believe that the health issues have played their part. What I hadn't really considered is that NP , knowing that his contract was unlikely to be renewed, could possibly have played his part.

It is indeed a possible scenario as why would Nige want to aggravate his ongoing health issues and possibly even worsen them for the benefit of others who had most likely already made a decision on his future.

Perhaps we'll find out in the fullness of time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Sorry to start a new thread, as if we do not have enough, but thought this was a slightly different angle.

It struck me that Nige is a clever and canny bloke and has perhaps instigated his move out and quite happy about it. NP is in a very difficult position with his health with an unknown prognosis, so if you are coming towards the end of you contract and have the feeling it is not going to be renewed, you could be of a mindset, do I really want to be putting all my time and effort in to the job when likelihood is I am not getting a new contract. So rather than having months of stress and trying to manage a family, treatment and work life balance by pushing the buttons of the powers to be when he put contract and maybe getting sacked soon, into the public domain, he forced the issue. I am sure Nige is of an age and financial stability where he does not need to work and having health issues and a few close friends recently pass on, it does change your view on what is important in life and if you don't need the money, work is not always one of them.

Its difficult to know from the outside, if there has been a bust up and if so how severe, but the SL nest egg comment was strange as it was all about putting money ready for either next season or the next manager, NP will know exactly why this was said and perhaps has known unless we somehow got promoted then no way was he getting a new contract.

I am upset NP has gone as really like him and will go down as one of my favourite managers, but I am also wise enough to know we do not get told the full picture and as per JL interview, mentioned there is a lot that cannot be said to the fans, which I accept. So if NP did or did not force his sacking, I am pleased he can now concentrate on the most important thing, getting better and wish him well for a speedy recovery.

Possibly but he wouldn’t take two colleagues down with him

4 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

There isn't anything that cannot be said to the fans, it's the decision of the board what is sensible to share and the only reason not to share something is that it would have a negative impact on the club. I think your thoughts are purely speculation and clutching at straws. The board want us to see Pearson as a failure, otherwise they've sacked a good manager, they are creating the only narrative that they could after sacking Pearson, that he didn't achieve what they wanted him to, the issue with this is if you don't take the PR spin at face value and instead look at the statistics, the time Pearson was here and what he achieved despite not being backed nearly as much as he should have been based on the boards goals it's clear to see who is at fault.

At this point Pearson is gone, he has nothing to gain from making the details come out, it won't make him get his job back and having a slanging match with the club would make him less desirable for other football clubs so he is doing what he has always done, being sensible and showing class in his departure. Meanwhile the board have come out after being silent during Pearsons struggles because they've been forced to speak due to the fan outrage. They have been caught in their contradiction of what they expect and what they have supplied and they have shown that it's all a PR spin to keep the fans compliant with the most frustrating part being that it's worked. We're currently playing bottom of the league with an extra man and struggling to take the lead, our tactics are poor based on what's happening on the pitch and yet the fans have still gone, no protesting, no standing up to the board proving Jon Lansdown correct when he said that the fans will turn up and cheer regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

There isn't anything that cannot be said to the fans, it's the decision of the board what is sensible to share and the only reason not to share something is that it would have a negative impact on the club. I think your thoughts are purely speculation and clutching at straws. The board want us to see Pearson as a failure, otherwise they've sacked a good manager, they are creating the only narrative that they could after sacking Pearson, that he didn't achieve what they wanted him to, the issue with this is if you don't take the PR spin at face value and instead look at the statistics, the time Pearson was here and what he achieved despite not being backed nearly as much as he should have been based on the boards goals it's clear to see who is at fault.

At this point Pearson is gone, he has nothing to gain from making the details come out, it won't make him get his job back and having a slanging match with the club would make him less desirable for other football clubs so he is doing what he has always done, being sensible and showing class in his departure. Meanwhile the board have come out after being silent during Pearsons struggles because they've been forced to speak due to the fan outrage. They have been caught in their contradiction of what they expect and what they have supplied and they have shown that it's all a PR spin to keep the fans compliant with the most frustrating part being that it's worked. We're currently playing bottom of the league with an extra man and struggling to take the lead, our tactics are poor based on what's happening on the pitch and yet the fans have still gone, no protesting, no standing up to the board proving Jon Lansdown correct when he said that the fans will turn up and cheer regardless.

What a sensible and accurate assumption. The Lansdowns have screwed up royally and out of desperation have manouvered several puppets to attempt a rescue mission against there failing popularity. Firstly, Joe Sims ( pls give me another gig, yes sir, no sir, sorry I’m not a real sports interviewer) to broadcast their spin. Sadly most of the paying customers are probably unable to question the gaps. Secondly. When poor old Tin’s was placed in front of the camera he looked like he’d been captured by the Taliban, bless you mate, bet you loved that experience. Im one sentence …  This club of ours is now in chaos. 

• Like 1

I've picked out one key aspect from both NPs interview after the Cardiff game and the boy wonders on RB. Injuries. NP seems to go out of his way to talk about how they were all contact injuries and then JL spent a good portion of his interview talking about how the injuries were preventable. 

I get the impression that conversations were already had between NP and the board about the state of injuries and wonder if NP knew they would be using it as a reason

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spike said:

If you cannot see that businesses do not or cannot put out all that goes on behind the scenes, then you are very nieve. Yes it is PR spin and frustrating but what happens in the real world.

You are correct it was speculation and I posed it as a question and thought of a different angle, based upon personal experience and Nige's health issues. But like everyone else on here I have not got a clue what's gone on, so speculation and thoughts the same as ever other post.

I am disappointed Nige has gone, but think there is a lot more to it that we are unlikely to ever know, NP will not say anything as will have signed a NDA upon leaving, as is normal practice for senior personnel in business.

Not sure if you were at the game and bored to reply during the game or protesting and staying away

3 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

I've picked out one key aspect from both NPs interview after the Cardiff game and the boy wonders on RB. Injuries. NP seems to go out of his way to talk about how they were all contact injuries and then JL spent a good portion of his interview talking about how the injuries were preventable. 

I get the impression that conversations were already had between NP and the board about the state of injuries and wonder if NP knew they would be using it as a reason

I think you are correct and this plays a part in the fallout and definitely an issue. A sceptic could ask if players were being held back from returning, maybe correctley to protect them or for other reasons, or maybe just a coincidence to have so many players back today. I am not suggesting either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think you are correct and this plays a part in the fallout and definitely an issue. A sceptic could ask if players were being held back from returning, maybe correctley to protect them or for other reasons, or maybe just a coincidence to have so many players back today. I am not suggesting either.

Yes also he spoke about no training during international break did I hear that correct ? 

Don't think he seemed very happy with that

Apologies wrong board please move !

Whilst I am in the camp if I can not believe what has happened, and very much in disarray with the owners board and comms that have gone out there are a couple of possible things to consider. And have me wondering 

1) Nige was brought in to get the structure of the football club right. If he achieved it then he would be backed. 
2) the owners have seen he has achieved, but are concerned he has another health scare, which is not the first time, so they have said to him, let’s see your ok and go from there. 
3) the owners are concerned he is not ok and he is not willing to prove he is

4) Other training staff may have raised concerns with regard to his day to day engagement.

5) Nige called their bluff with regard to his contract and he could not proove he was well enough

6) the lack of communication re his exit is legally not allowed to be discussed and therefore avoided communication with the media, with both sides agreeing this, along with a time delay being agreed by both sides as to what could be said

7) he is really Ill and both parties agreed to this.
8- he was solely brought in ti clear the decks sort the infrastructure for the next man. He knew it, but he wanted to continue and that was never the plan but he tried to leverage where he got to and the went against what was agreed and having pushed, he was pushed. 

not saying I agree with any of the above but it’s not all black and white is it. 

Edited by Bubble
Wring board
  • Hmmm 1