IGNORED

Torsten Leiberknecht

Kingswood Robin

I was in Darmstadt Germany earlier this year. They had just achieved exactly what we're trying to do by getting promoted to the top flight in Germany. A few years back he also guided Eintracht Braunschweig to a couple of promotions and then a return to the Bundesliga for the first time in 28 years.

No inside information and I know very little about him, but he seems to be able to do the one thing we can't do.

• Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I was in Darmstadt Germany earlier this year. They had just achieved exactly what we're trying to do by getting promoted to the top flight in Germany. A few years back he also guided Eintracht Braunschweig to a couple of promotions and then a return to the Bundesliga for the first time in 28 years.

No inside information and I know very little about him, but he seems to be able to do the one thing we can't do.

Not sure how he would get us promoted to the bundesliga 

• Haha 13

21 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

So, a suggestion, then !

same rules apply

This reminds me about a previously rumoured candidate. One poster suggested Steffens Baumgart had been interviewed. I wonder if this may be our current rumoured foreign candidate. A quick google suggest that he is currently at Koln. Judging by their league position, not for much longer.

Edit: just found this Reddit post from an English language FC Koln group

”Refusal to get loan signing”

”Is it his fault the club decided to cut the playing budget this year”

sounds all to familiar!

https://www.reddit.com/r/effzeh/s/KstOYOVfQk

Edited by Flounder

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Lee-berk-naysht is how it’s said in case he gets the job!

O Level German (Failed) was 60 years ago, so I could be wrong, but as the e comes before the I, would it not be lie-berk-naysht?

(Not that I think it’s something we’re going to need to know.)

Edited by CliftonCliff

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Nigel Pearson took teams up to the Premiership from our Championship and look what happened to him. 

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Why would we sack a proven coach for a nobody, in that case lets get Benny back :laugh: ...clueless post

• Confused 2

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Flounder said:

This reminds me about a previously rumoured candidate. One poster suggested Steffens Baumgart had been interviewed. I wonder if this may be our current rumoured foreign candidate. A quick google suggest that he is currently at Koln. Judging by their league position, not for much longer.

Edit: just found this Reddit post from an English language FC Koln group

”Refusal to get loan signing”

”Is it his fault the club decided to cut the playing budget this year”

sounds all to familiar!

https://www.reddit.com/r/effzeh/s/KstOYOVfQk

Go with what you know right?

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Does the "cht" part at the end not depend on the region of Germany you're in as to whether it is a hard or soft pronunciation? 

Lived in Austria for a bit. His surname is Lieberknecht pronounced a bit like “Lee-burr-k-nekt”. The last bit “knecht” can be quite hard to pronounce for English speakers as we don’t really have words where we pronounce a k next to n, nor do we generally have the “ch” sound (which is a bit like the “ch” in “Loch”).

Maybe ask Andi Weimann to say it, next time you see him. 😉

2 minutes ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Lived in Austria for a bit. His surname is Lieberknecht pronounced a bit like “Lee-burr-k-nekt”. The last bit “knecht” can be quite hard to pronounce for English speakers as we don’t really have words where we pronounce a k next to n, nor do we generally have the “ch” sound (which is a bit like the “ch” in “Loch”).

So, Lee for short. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Saying connect very quickly gets the gist of it. So I'd suggest "Lee-burr-c(o)nnect" 

Just noticed the OP has the i and the e mixed up hence the confusion about that part of the pronunciation. It should be Lieberknecht, i before e hence the 'ee' sound. 

Also funny to note that a rough translation of his name would be "preferred servant" or "dear servant". Exactly what the Landsdowns are looking for for? 🤔

Edited by Pugofwar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

Saying connect very quickly gets the gist of it. So I'd suggest "Lee-burr-c(o)nnect" 

Just noticed the OP has the i and the e mixed up hence the confusion about that part of the pronunciation. It should be Lieberknecht, i before e hence the 'ee' sound. 

Also funny to note that a rough translation of his name would be "preferred servant" or "dear servant". Exactly what the Landsdowns are looking for for? 🤔

can we go for jurgen klinsman instead, i can say that

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

I could be really picky and mention that you missed the umlaut from Jürgen 😂 (and the second n in Klinsmann, ok I'll stop now) 

im only trying to say it, no one said anything about remember how to spell these germans aswell😂  if thats essential, i want robins

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, redsquirrel said:

im only trying to say it, no one said anything about remember how to spell these germans aswell😂  if thats essential, i want robins

Dean Smith. No nonsense British name! Easy, decision made, not sure why the process is taking so long. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

If you want a quintessential English name that we can all remember and pronounce, you should go for Smith. Might not go down well from a football standpoint, but then when did we ever base managerial appointments on trivialities like that?

2 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

Dean Smith. No nonsense British name! Easy, decision made, not sure why the process is taking so long. 

You beat me to it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

If you want a quintessential English name that we can all remember and pronounce, you should go for Smith. Might not go down well from a football standpoint, but then when did we ever base managerial appointments on trivialities like that?

You beat me to it.

Well, (Nathan) Jones is the second most common, and (Luke) Williams the third.

And Johnson is in the top ten 😂😂