IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

We signed him at a time when we were stockpiling players, so not a surprise he didn't get that many minutes.

In fairness to LJ, Szmodics did seem to struggle in the brief appearances he had for us. I recall coming away from games thinking "oh....that's why Szmodics isn't getting much game time".

Easy to say we should have persisted with Szmodics now we have the benefit of hindsight, but at the time he left the club for League 1 Peterborough, it didn't seem an unreasonable decision to sell him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

We signed him at a time when we were stockpiling players, so not a surprise he didn't get that many minutes.

In fairness to LJ, Szmodics did seem to struggle in the brief appearances he had for us. I recall coming away from games thinking "oh....that's why Szmodics isn't getting much game time".

Easy to say we should have persisted with Szmodics now we have the benefit of hindsight, but at the time he left the club for League 1 Peterborough, it didn't seem an unreasonable decision to sell him.

This is true but I do feel that, if you sign players from a division below, you have to give them time to settle and prove themselves whereas Johnson was quick to discard players like Szmodics, Eisa and Adelakun. Obviously we will never know if they were his signings but - in Szmodics’ case - he must have been impacted by the fact he had a decent pre-season but then Kasey Palmer was effectively brought in to replace him before he had even played a competitive game for us…

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Lee Johnson

Just so. LJ signed Szmodics and then wasted a few million on Kasey Palmer. There is wasn’t room for both in the team so LJ decided to put his, mistaken, belief in Palmer. Without Palmer Szmodics could have been given time to adjust to Championship football 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

This is true but I do feel that, if you sign players from a division below, you have to give them time to settle and prove themselves whereas Johnson was quick to discard players like Szmodics, Eisa and Adelakun. Obviously we will never know if they were his signings but - in Szmodics’ case - he must have been impacted by the fact he had a decent pre-season but then Kasey Palmer was effectively brought in to replace him before he had even played a competitive game for us…

Agree, the fundamental issue was a dodgy transfer policy.

I think we were slightly unsure what we wanted from Szmodics. Was he "one for the future"? If so, a 24 year old from League 2 doesn't seem like a player with room for significant development. Was he "one to hit the ground running"? If so, you're asking a lot for a player to step up 2 divisions and immediately have an impact. As you say, the Palmer signing then complicated things further. Very much seemed like a signing made without any clear plan or thought process.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agree, the fundamental issue was a dodgy transfer policy.

I think we were slightly unsure what we wanted from Szmodics. Was he "one for the future"? If so, a 24 year old from League 2 doesn't seem like a player with room for significant development. Was he "one to hit the ground running"? If so, you're asking a lot for a player to step up 2 divisions and immediately have an impact. As you say, the Palmer signing then complicated things further. Very much seemed like a signing made without any clear plan or thought process.

That summer was when we abandoned any notions of building a squad and were basically trading for the sake of it.

We signed Szmodics, he did well enough in preseason but then we brought Palmer in so that was the end of that. We also had Paterson who could play that position and ended up having to go out on loan, only to be recalled in January. In much the same way that we signed Massengo and Nagy so Pack had to leave when he didn't really want to.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

He was our best player that pre season, then came the real thing and he found himself given a bit part role to play at best. Palmer might have been his direct competition but even back then there was only one of the two I would have picked and it wasn’t Kasey!

• Like 1

On 01/01/2024 at 18:34, Mr Popodopolous said:

Another goal for him today.

Definitely badly handled by LJ. But he wasn’t the only player sacrificed in a churn that looked like Ashton was playing Top Trumps with potential signings, and ended up getting them all while SL’s attention was elsewhere.

On 13/12/2023 at 19:21, Mr Popodopolous said:

More fool LJ.

Albeit players do develop at different times, look at Wes Burns too.

Wes Burns always had pace and some skills. What he has gained is a lot of experience in L1 that has allowed him to finally flourish at this level. Just a shame it’s at Ipswich with Ashton!

• Like 2

Few things to remember.

- He signed 4 years ago, and joined from playing in League Two.

- Palmer had 70 odd Championship appearances when we signed him

- Szmodics was likely to become a decent Champ player in time, Palmer was hoped to become a decent Prem player

- This is the first Championship season Szmodics has hit double figures

- Ambitions that season were play offs, so we wanted the best we could get

Can fully understand LJ's decision to prefer Palmer, however I'd personally wasn't sold on signing KP at the time post loan.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Few things to remember.

- He signed 4 years ago, and joined from playing in League Two.

- Palmer had 70 odd Championship appearances when we signed him

- Szmodics was likely to become a decent Champ player in time, Palmer was hoped to become a decent Prem player

- This is the first Championship season Szmodics has hit double figures

- Ambitions that season were play offs, so we wanted the best we could get

Can fully understand LJ's decision to prefer Palmer, however I'd personally wasn't sold on signing KP at the time post loan.

What is often forgotten is that the late signing of Palmer meant we had three “no10s”…Szmodics, Palmer and Paterson.  Paterson was hastily loaned to Derby, to return in January…which meant Szmodics was then loaned to Peterborough.

Clumsy / chaotic recruitment, wasteful too.

• Like 2