IGNORED

TGH, Knight and the Mehmeti blind spot

Silvio Dante

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Pre match, when TGH was left out I described it as “Bloody Harsh”. That it happened in order to bring in Mehmeti, who has looked below this level since he joined, was one thing, but the fact it also lessened Knights effectiveness was a double whammy that didn’t need to happen. 

Simply enough, when TGH came on, he prompted, moved the ball around well, and released Knight into a further forward position which meant we looked far more dangerous. I get Manning wanting to put his own stamp on the side (and clearly he rates Memeti at league one, but this is the championship), and there is an argument he “needed” to play Weimann as it’s a big call to leave your skipper out game one, but it looked an aberration in the selection. It was an aberration on the pitch. 

Liam is apparently a total football anorak and will have watched a lot of our games. That he did that, and selected that midfield, is a very poor call on his part. I’m hoping it’s one he won’t make again. (Nb - some of this will be getting used to the players and hopefully he’ll have learnt a lot)

You’re trying too hard. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 8

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Pre match, when TGH was left out I described it as “Bloody Harsh”. That it happened in order to bring in Mehmeti, who has looked below this level since he joined, was one thing, but the fact it also lessened Knights effectiveness was a double whammy that didn’t need to happen. 

Simply enough, when TGH came on, he prompted, moved the ball around well, and released Knight into a further forward position which meant we looked far more dangerous. I get Manning wanting to put his own stamp on the side (and clearly he rates Memeti at league one, but this is the championship), and there is an argument he “needed” to play Weimann as it’s a big call to leave your skipper out game one, but it looked an aberration in the selection. It was an aberration on the pitch. 

Liam is apparently a total football anorak and will have watched a lot of our games. That he did that, and selected that midfield, is a very poor call on his part. I’m hoping it’s one he won’t make again. (Nb - some of this will be getting used to the players and hopefully he’ll have learnt a lot)

Having been accused by the Bristol Sport bots on here of being negative, my hope is that because he’s only been here 3 days it was a mistake Manning made because he is clearly a fan of Mehmeti.

The other possibility of course is he knows TGH is the only player he has that he can easily move on in January, simply by terminating the loan & freeing up funds to make “his” signings.

2 weeks until we play again, though Knight & Sykes will be away for a week of it.

Not so much of an excuse then as a result.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Mehmeti was a waste of a seat on the players coach and Wiemann not much better and has not been for a while.

Much better with TGH on the pitch let’s hope the head coach has seen this.

I'm afraid Mehmeti failed the audition. The strength of an empty crisp packet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Having been accused by the Bristol Sport bots on here of being negative, my hope is that because he’s only been here 3 days it was a mistake Manning made because he is clearly a fan of Mehmeti.

The other possibility of course is he knows TGH is the only player he has that he can easily move on in January, simply by terminating the loan & freeing up funds to make “his” signings.

2 weeks until we play again, though Knight & Sykes will be away for a week of it.

Not so much of an excuse then as a result.

I hope the TGH theory isn’t correct. Like him as a player and he fits what our recruitment model is supposed to be.

Mehmeti is, for me currently, a league one player at best. He may improve with coaching and Manning may well improve him to get him to champ standard but it almost belied for me Liams inexperience at this level - a very good league one player isn’t necessarily even an average championship player. Hopefully he learns that quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I hope the TGH theory isn’t correct. Like him as a player and he fits what our recruitment model is supposed to be.

Mehmeti is, for me currently, a league one player at best. He may improve with coaching and Manning may well improve him to get him to champ standard but it almost belied for me Liams inexperience at this level - a very good league one player isn’t necessarily even an average championship player. Hopefully he learns that quickly.

Assuming that TGH is a Tinnion signing and we keep him. Will be James’ replacement I think got an eye for a pass and a dead ball 

• Like 1

By my estimation City have

McCrorie

Wells

Benerous

Atkinson

& Williams not fit enough for the bench.

Plus I see a couple carrying niggles. So Manning has plenty to look at during the break and before we start worrying too much about signings. 

TGH made us better and Bell carried threat. So if he’s not an idiot he knows his best team from those available. 

How quickly those can come back into the reckoning could be the difference on us finishing top ten and better. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It was a Lee Johnson type decision. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

TGH is a good player. Simple as.

You would’ve picked him today, as would I, LM didn’t. He might think differently next game. 

20 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Assuming that TGH is a Tinnion signing and we keep him. Will be James’ replacement I think got an eye for a pass and a dead ball 

There are no Tinnion signings. It’s a collective process.  We will find out quickly whether LM is a fan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

TGH is a good player. Simple as.

You would’ve picked him today, as would I, LM didn’t. He might think differently next game. 

There are no Tinnion signings. It’s a collective process.  We will find out quickly whether LM is a fan. 

Tinnion is the director of football, they are signings that he has identified and put forward to the manager, said so himself in the interviews. 

I suspect it came down to what Manning saw in training this week. Anyway, I’ve been impressed with TGH and I was surprised when he was dropped to the bench - hopefully Manning has seen his value now. Weimann hasn’t been the same player since his injury - someone else deserves a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, UncleRed said:

If he wanted Mehmeti to start then the only person who was droppable to play TGH was weimann, the club captain. Probably didn’t want any chance to upset the apple cart in anyway on his first game after two training sessions.

I'm not sure Weimann would be in many fans first choice XI's at the moment 

• Like 5

Annis' cameo as attacking Central mid last week certainly warranted thought but sticking him wide left clearly doesn't work.

2 of TGH / James / Williams/ Naismith with Knight in the attacking role would seem to be our strongest option.

TC was so isolated today, I felt for the lad.

Food for thought for Liam!

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm not sure Weimann would be in many fans first choice XI's at the moment 

I agree, but I’m not on about from a fans point of view. I’m talking about from a new manager for two sessions point of view, you don’t just come in and treat the club captain poorly like that. Whether he’s out of form or not.

People expected LM to get his message and whole style of play over to 20+ players in 2 days and go on a win streak.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

I agree, but I’m not on about from a fans point of view. I’m talking about from a new manager for two sessions point of view, you don’t just come in and treat the club captain poorly like that. Whether he’s out of form or not.

People expected LM to get his message and whole style of play over to 20+ players in 2 days and go on a win streak.

Nah, people expected our 'play off level' squad to beat a terrible team that had lost 2/3rds of their games this season. Or at least to have a few shots before the 80th minute 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nah, people expected our 'play off level' squad to beat a terrible team that had lost 2/3rds of their games this season. Or at least to have a few shots before the 80th minute 

If you’re expecting shots on goal you clearly haven’t been paying attention to our games this season 😂

And what do you expect, a member of the higher ups to come out publicly slag the players off. Sure that would do wonders for performance. 

7 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

Rubbish, club captain or not he should be picked on performance merit and not his popularity. Sadly he’s been distinctly average all season a shadow of the 20 goal season player he was. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

@bexhill reds

Did you not read what I typed?

It’s not my pov but from a new manager for 2 training sessions. He isn’t going to go off of form too much, more so look at the last starting lineup and what he sees in the two training sessions.

Either way it’s rubbish, it’s a professional game. If he’s watched any of the previous games on tape or taken a sounding from the remaining coaching staff. He’s been poor, can’t recall the last game he’s been effective in.  Club captain should have no bearing on selection.

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 1

Just now, bexhill reds said:

Either way it’s rubbish, it’s a professional game. If he’s watched any of the previous games on tape or taken a sounding from the remaining coaching staff. He’s been poor, can’t recall the last game he’s been effective in. 

You must be watching them in training as well then. Fair enough, I’ll leave you to it.

2 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

You must be watching them in training as well then. Fair enough, I’ll leave you to it.

I’ve watched every game which to my mind is more relevant than training. No one can say that Wiemann has done anything that warrants selection, if he’s looking like Messi in training he’s not transferring that to match days

• Like 3