IGNORED

TGH, Knight and the Mehmeti blind spot

Silvio Dante

Just now, bexhill reds said:

I’ve watched every game which to my mind is more relevant than training. No one can say that Wiemann has done anything that warrants selection, if he’s looking like Messi in training he’s not transferring that to match days

Think you’re missing the point, don’t worry about it.

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

I’ve watched every game which to my mind is more relevant than training. No one can say that Wiemann has done anything that warrants selection, if he’s looking like Messi in training he’s not transferring that to match days

I think the point @UncleRedis making is that LM hasn't watched every match and will be working off what he has seen in training.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I think the point @UncleRedis making is that LM hasn't watched every match and will be working off what he has seen in training.

I get the point that is being made, but if our new man is selecting because of status or not wanting to upturn the Apple cart, then he’s onto a loser before he starts and I hope he’s better than that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Tinnion is the director of football, they are signings that he has identified and put forward to the manager, said so himself in the interviews. 

If you are suggesting they are Tinnion signings that Nige didn’t want, I stand by my first post.  If you mean, Nige set the player requirements, Tins and the recruitment team identified them through the sausage machine and Nige agreed that they should progress signing them, then yes they are Tins signings.  Sorry, wasn’t sure on your ange.

9 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Mehmeti must be bloody good in training to get a starting place. The FB marking him was poor but had AM in his pocket most of the afternoon. One of his problems is that he lacks pace so very rarely goes past his marker.

I actually quite like Kakay fwiw.  Not pretty, but I’ve always seen him as effective.

13 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

If you are suggesting they are Tinnion signings that Nige didn’t want, I stand by my first post.  If you mean, Nige set the player requirements, Tins and the recruitment team identified them through the sausage machine and Nige agreed that they should progress signing them, then yes they are Tins signings.  Sorry, wasn’t sure on your ange.

The second, the club has always indicated that the recruitment process has included the manager. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I get the point that is being made, but if our new man is selecting because of status or not wanting to upturn the Apple cart, then he’s onto a loser before he starts and I hope he’s better than that

He said in his interview all they’ve done in training this week is play without the ball. Weimann though I agree hasn’t been up to standard, can run all day and most likely LM just wanted to see if he could get the team working without the ball.

Now if he starts against boro then I’ll be questioning it 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UncleRed said:

@bexhill reds

Did you not read what I typed?

It’s not my pov but from a new manager for 2 training sessions. He isn’t going to go off of form too much, more so look at the last starting lineup and what he sees in the two training sessions.

This is bang on,he has to take at face value when evaluating players,the worry is Mehmeti was a good player at the lower levels and he suddenly started today,is this what the future holds 

1 hour ago, UncleRed said:

He said in his interview all they’ve done in training this week is play without the ball. Weimann though I agree hasn’t been up to standard, can run all day and most likely LM just wanted to see if he could get the team working without the ball.

Now if he starts against boro then I’ll be questioning it 😂

So basically what the previous manager had them doing because let’s be honest we haven’t been a possession based side for about 20 years 

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So basically what the previous manager had them doing because let’s be honest we haven’t been a possession based side for about 20 years 

I think when he says play without the ball, he means the pressing pattern and the certain triggers when to press. Probably a lot more complicated stuff, too much detail for us to worry about on here. Maybe he thinks that’s the easiest message to get across in the short time frame and he had before the game.

Dont think he meant sitting back and parking the bus behind the ball and hit them on the counter. These next two weeks I’m guessing he’ll work them hard on possession and patterns of play. May take weeks or months to finally getting them to play the way he wants. I for one will judge him when the times right, not a day or week(s) after arriving in Bristol.

3 hours ago, Cristored said:

You’re trying too hard. 

Trying too hard to what? 

Having been at the game I think @Silvio Dante is absolutely bang on. If Manning has watched many of games this last few days (which I'd expect he would have) then the selection was an odd one.

Mehmeti did virtually nothing for the 60 mins was on bar force an error which should have won us a penalty shortly into the 2nd half when the QPR player fell over his own feet and grabbed the ball. That aside he was flat and offered no outlet, nor coukd he drop in receive, turn and drive at defenders. 

When TGH came on Knight was able to do exactly that, and Bell along with Sykes stated causing them one or two problems. 

• Thanks 1

The biggest credit I think you can give Liam today is on the hour he hooked Mehmeti and Weimann. That gives me optimism - I do think he felt Mehmeti was a player he should start and it was based on L1 as opposed to record at this level (as Liam said, they’ve done work without the ball so I’m not sure he’d have seen much in training), and I do think (and Liam said as much post match) that there was some senior player bias in Andi. But he chose the right players to take off - so hopefully he has the courage for those big decisions moving forward and the initial selection was just “teething”

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, redrob said:

Trying too hard to what? 

Having been at the game I think @Silvio Dante is absolutely bang on. If Manning has watched many of games this last few days (which I'd expect he would have) then the selection was an odd one.

Mehmeti did virtually nothing for the 60 mins was on bar force an error which should have won us a penalty shortly into the 2nd half when the QPR player fell over his own feet and grabbed the ball. That aside he was flat and offered no outlet, nor coukd he drop in receive, turn and drive at defenders. 

When TGH came on Knight was able to do exactly that, and Bell along with Sykes stated causing them one or two problems. 

Same for half the side. 

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The biggest credit I think you can give Liam today is on the hour he hooked Mehmeti and Weimann. That gives me optimism - I do think he felt Mehmeti was a player he should start and it was based on L1 as opposed to record at this level (as Liam said, they’ve done work without the ball so I’m not sure he’d have seen much in training), and I do think (and Liam said as much post match) that there was some senior player bias in Andi. But he chose the right players to take off - so hopefully he has the courage for those big decisions moving forward and the initial selection was just “teething”

You are writing as if Manning a 5 year old, he knows more about football than anyone on here. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 4

Probably in the minority, but I still think there is a player there in Mehmeti. Admittedly, more based on what he did in his first few games.

Very low on confidence now, rarely had a run of games, just played a match here and there. 

Feels abit like Szmodics in some respects (although he had even less opportunity), came on for a game, didn’t perform, hooked for the next 10.

I’m not giving up on him yet! 😁

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cristored said:

Same for half the side. 

You are writing as if Manning a 5 year old, he knows more about football than anyone on here. 

Cheers for that. Always good to have a decent debate with other football fans.

My post was in support of what Manning did in terms of the subs. You appear to have read it as condescending. Support for the manager (as I have) doesn’t need to mean unconditional complicity (as you seem to have). The latter isn’t really conducive to being on a forum with differing views so you might want to reconsider whether this is the place for you.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Cheers for that. Always good to have a decent debate with other football fans.

My post was in support of what Manning did in terms of the subs. You appear to have read it as condescending. Support for the manager (as I have) doesn’t need to mean unconditional complicity (as you seem to have). The latter isn’t really conducive to being on a forum with differing views so you might want to reconsider whether this is the place for you.

Trying too hard again.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

Jason Knight

You're a key part of recruitment at Bristol City, you know you're star player Scott is likely to be sold and you have a budget to bring in a very good Championship quality midfielder.

Do you buy Jason Knight? A busy player, a high energy, 'effective presser'?

I don't think you do. You go for a player with a little more flair, a little more quality albeit maybe you accept some inconsistency given the budget. Someone who can influence the game attacking wise more than Knight does. Someone who gets goals and assists.

Not knocking Knight as he is a good player but as the last one in, I am so unconvinced that he was what we needed. And he was totally anonymous today until the last 20 mins when he started looking good

Edited by cidercity1987

17 minutes ago, Cristored said:

Same for half the side. 

I wasn't talking about half the side. I was talking about Mehmeti as Mehmeti was the subject of the original post by @Silvio Dante

But as you mention others yes Weimann was totally ineffictive offering nothing either. 

So yes good shout to hook them both off on circa 60mins, roven by how much more we grew into looking a threat for the last 20-25 mins. 

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Jason Knight

You're a key part of recruitment at Bristol City, you know you're star player Scott is likely to be sold and you have a budget to bring in a very good Championship quality midfielder.

I don't think you do. You go for a player with a little more flair, a little more quality albeit maybe you accept some inconsistency given the budget. Someone who can influence the game attacking wise more than Knight does. Someone who gets goals and assists.

Not knocking Knight as he is a good player but as the last one in, I am so unconvinced that he was what we needed. And he was totally anonymous today until the last 20 mins when he started looking good

You get both.

16 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Probably in the minority, but I still think there is a player there in Mehmeti. Admittedly, more based on what he did in his first few games.

Very low on confidence now, rarely had a run of games, just played a match here and there. 

Feels abit like Szmodics in some respects (although he had even less opportunity), came on for a game, didn’t perform, hooked for the next 10.

I’m not giving up on him yet! 😁

I think he offers more central….thought he influenced things against Cardiff.

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Jason Knight

I retain to this day, Nige thought he’d have budget to bring in the player you suggest if / when Scott went, as well as Knight.  The Phil Alexander SOTC was Steve reinventing the history to fit.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Jason Knight

For me, the problem was that he had to sit deeper while Andi was on the pitch. Once TGH was subbed on, Knight moved further up and looked a lot better.

33 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

I think he offers more central….thought he influenced things against Cardiff.

I retain to this day, Nige thought he’d have budget to bring in the player you suggest if / when Scott went, as well as Knight.  The Phil Alexander SOTC was Steve reinventing the history to fit.

I’m not going mad am I - but it was Tinnion who claimed we had a plan A and B if Scott ended up getting sold 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’m not going mad am I - but it was Tinnion who claimed we had a plan A and B if Scott ended up getting sold 

No, you’re not.

Post the Scott sale, Phil Alexander had an uncomfortable session on RB where he had to state that the business was done early based on Lansdown funding it if Scott wasn’t sold. It was contrary to what was said before where there was allegedly a plan if Scott was sold and a plan if he wasn’t.

It was an issue when it was said. It’s got bigger based on the misinformation coming out of the club recently 

• Like 2