IGNORED

TGH, Knight and the Mehmeti blind spot

Silvio Dante

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

No, you’re not.

Post the Scott sale, Phil Alexander had an uncomfortable session on RB where he had to state that the business was done early based on Lansdown funding it if Scott wasn’t sold. It was contrary to what was said before where there was allegedly a plan if Scott was sold and a plan if he wasn’t.

It was an issue when it was said. It’s got bigger based on the misinformation coming out of the club recently 

Thanks

Yes , So Tinnion forgot to explain that we’d already executed the plan if Scott was eventually sold , ie we’d bought Knight and Dickie !!!

Glad I’ve got it  😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Jason Knight

You're a key part of recruitment at Bristol City, you know you're star player Scott is likely to be sold and you have a budget to bring in a very good Championship quality midfielder.

Do you buy Jason Knight? A busy player, a high energy, 'effective presser'?

I don't think you do. You go for a player with a little more flair, a little more quality albeit maybe you accept some inconsistency given the budget. Someone who can influence the game attacking wise more than Knight does. Someone who gets goals and assists.

Not knocking Knight as he is a good player but as the last one in, I am so unconvinced that he was what we needed. And he was totally anonymous today until the last 20 mins when he started looking good

I have a feeling, read it somewhere, there was a suggestion for Knight to be in addition to Scott not to replace him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like TGH. Looks very savvy on the ball.

But I want to see more from him. Without sounding too harsh!

He’s only 21, and still early days at a new club. I’m sure you will (see more!).

And, yes, it’s a bit harsh after yesterday. If you’re asking who you’d want to see more from I’d argue that there were a lot more ahead of him in the queue yesterday! 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

He’s only 21, and still early days at a new club. I’m sure you will (see more!).

And, yes, it’s a bit harsh after yesterday. If you’re asking who you’d want to see more from I’d argue that there were a lot more ahead of him in the queue yesterday! 

He’s impressed me everytime he’s played.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like TGH. Looks very savvy on the ball.

But I want to see more from him. Without sounding too harsh!

I get what you mean, it seems like he's got everything to be a top player. Physically very good, technically very good and reads the game really well.

Might be one of those we need to persevere with and give him consistent starts in the same position. I hope we then see him dominating in games and really standing out.

Hope as sign him permanently as lots of room to grow 

• Like 1

Having had a few minutes, TGH has really looked the part and I thought him and Knight looked really promising against Cardiff. Mehmeti playing more central also looked the best I'd seen him.

Manning will be looking at players & positions so I'm not surprised he played with the formation. He hadn't seen TGH grow into that role and he hadn't seen Mehmeti struggle a little. 

The next team he puts out will give us more of an idea of how he's thinking. 
If it were me TGH starts. Maybe Knight given more licence , specially as he looked our biggest threat later on yesterday. 
There are a few questions I have about the FB's, but I'll wait to see us after the break when he's had more time to work with the players. Guarantee they won't be getting ten days off this time.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Having had a few minutes, TGH has really looked the part and I thought him and Knight looked really promising against Cardiff. Mehmeti playing more central also looked the best I'd seen him.

Manning will be looking at players & positions so I'm not surprised he played with the formation. He hadn't seen TGH grow into that role and he hadn't seen Mehmeti struggle a little. 

The next team he puts out will give us more of an idea of how he's thinking. 
If it were me TGH starts. Maybe Knight given more licence , specially as he looked our biggest threat later on yesterday. 
There are a few questions I have about the FB's, but I'll wait to see us after the break when he's had more time to work with the players. Guarantee they won't be getting ten days off this time.

Just said exact same thing in another thread.

• Like 1

I could see why he chose the 11 he did yesterday. Weimann has to play in that attacking CM position as he's just not very good playing out wide and Sam Bell's form has dropped off a bit recently so it was worth giving Mehmeti a go. 

Neither Mehmeti or Weimann were great yesterday (same with Conway and Sykes) but I thought the problem was more with Pring, Tanner and Matty James. Every pass was backwards and sideways even when under no pressure. I imagine the team in a couple of weeks will be fairly similar but Liam will be wanting them to be a lot braver on the ball. 

20 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Mehmeti was a waste of a seat on the players coach and Wiemann not much better and has not been for a while.

Much better with TGH on the pitch let’s hope the head coach has seen this.

Very harsh IMO. He, like many others, wasn't at his best, but Mehmeti looked like the only player in a red shirt who might have made something happen for the first 70 mins or so. Granted, the bar was set very low.

In general, we have an issue with quality out wide. None of our options (bar maybe Sykes) are particularly inspiring. Smyth and Willock looked much more dangerous than Sykes, Mehmeti, Bell, and Cornick have this season IMO.

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Very harsh IMO. He, like many others, wasn't at his best, but Mehmeti looked like the only player in a red shirt who might have made something happen for the first 70 mins or so. Granted, the bar was set very low.

In general, we have an issue with quality out wide. None of our options (bar maybe Sykes) are particularly inspiring. Smyth and Willock looked much more dangerous than Sykes, Mehmeti, Bell, and Cornick have this season IMO.

Sorry you must have been watching a different game to me Mehmeti put over one good cross all game,  he stuggles to beat a man is easily knocked off the ball , sorry but he seems out of his depth in the championship.  Lets hope he does go to Oxford in Jan swap deal for Brannagan maybe

7 minutes ago, westonred said:

Sorry you must have been watching a different game to me Mehmeti put over one good cross all game,  he stuggles to beat a man is easily knocked off the ball , sorry but he seems out of his depth in the championship.  Lets hope he does go to Oxford in Jan swap deal for Brannagan maybe

He probably offered more threat than anyone else in the first 70 minutes. Got in behind his man a few times in the first half, put a couple of decent balls into the box, and nearly won us a penalty early in the 2nd half. As I say, the bar was VERY low, but it's more than can be said for most of our players yesterday. (Knight did show some threat in the last 20 minutes, in fairness).

IMO we have a general issue with the quality of our wingers, it's not just Mehmeti.

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

There is a reason why Mehmeti didn’t play under Nige,he looked lively first couple of games but has looked bloody useless since and today was like a little boy

So who signed him, and how did they get that so wrong. I'm not disagreeing with you by the way.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a shame about Mehmeti, when he came in he looked lively, quite a threat. Still a player there IMO, question is how do you get the best. What is his best.

I agree Mr P, I think he’ll be better suited through the middle. But will LM want players that are better at covering ground in the middle? Two weeks to maybe get an answer, a long two weeks at that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a shame about Mehmeti, when he came in he looked lively, quite a threat. Still a player there IMO, question is how do you get the best. What is his best.

He did look lively and confident for a little while. Then I think the pressure to score, maybe, got to him and the confidence drained. The harder he tried the worse he got it seemed. He was so desperate to succeed he naturally got greedy and selfish, ignoring the better pass to a teammate. He then got dropped and was then the scapegoat for a while. 

I don't know if the step up was too big, if his style fits us or what but it isn't working consistently well for us. Surely there must be a player in there, he must have been scouted numerous times?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

I agree Mr P, I think he’ll be better suited through the middle. But will LM want players that are better at covering ground in the middle? Two weeks to maybe get an answer, a long two weeks at that.

Through the middle it's hard to say isn't it, UR.

Not sure how he fits into a 4-3-3 through the middle though, we really need that. 4-4-2-2 maybe but I'd rather Bell and Sykes play.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Through the middle it's hard to say isn't it, UR.

Not sure how he fits into a 4-3-3 through the middle though, we really need that. 4-4-2-2 maybe but I'd rather Bell and Sykes play.

Maybe he’ll become better when we improve the squad around him. But who knows how long that would take with everything going on with the financial situation. Personally I think he could become a good player but whether this is the right club for him unfortunately is what I’m questioning.

9 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

Maybe he’ll become better when we improve the squad around him. But who knows how long that would take with everything going on with the financial situation. Personally I think he could become a good player but whether this is the right club for him unfortunately is what I’m questioning.

Ah the squad the board were praising in quite strong terms post NP. :)

Finances seem to be fine now, or acceptable anyway as far as FFP is concerned..however it doesn't quite work for combinations and Mehmeti. Mehmeti wide, what of Bell? Mehmeti through the middle,what of control?

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My issue with Mehmeti starting was that it appears he started purely because he was top of Mannings shopping list for Oxford in league one. 

Sam Bell who has just been called up to England U20s unreservedly gets dropped for him. 

In fairness, Bell has been just as poor recently. 2 open goals missed in 2 weeks now.

We don't have any particularly enticing options out wide at this moment in time.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1