IGNORED

New head coach’s post match interview

Ivorguy

More positive than many fans, but that is to be expected.  Also clearly has not had enough time to get ideas over.  However, if he intends to play a different game than Nige then we are in trouble as we shall need new players, and I am doubtful personally that he will be given much room for movement in January.   He made no criticism of players and that too is understandable; hopefully he will have a go next week at the appalling finishing.

Only worry for me he kept looking downbeat with his eyes fixed on the ground.  Not great body language.

• Like 4

I think we have to realise that under Liam, post match and pre match aren’t going to be anywhere near as interesting as under Nige - that’s not a criticism, but he very much seems to be a controlled, cliche, stock phrase person and I’m not sure we’ll get any insights - he won’t want to share as that’s not his character (and if it was Jon wouldn’t have appointed him)

The looking down was noticeable today though and lack of eye contact is generally seen as someone who doesn’t really believe what they’re saying. I’d hope that is the case here as I believe he’s smart enough to know that wasn’t good enough today.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Besides his body language, which will improve as he gets to know those interviewing him, I thought it was ok.

He couldn't make out it was a huge success or a dreadful day. He touched on what they did well and what they'll be working on.

Not a whole lot more he could have said really. 

Tbf , I think that’s just him in camera interviews , just his mannerisms and it may well be that he’s not at his most comfortable in that area.

Looking at previous interviews and media stuff with him , Im not sure he will be a great watch in terms of media stuff , interesting as things progress maybe but not naturally engaging 

Some coaches / managers love it and a theatric watch 

He may well be totally different away from a camera lens pointing at him , on the training ground , with players 

I do hope he doesn’t keep looking down with a lack of eye contact if he’s talking to players , particularly one on one 

• Like 4

Just his way I think. Exactly the same in the pre-match interview. 

Doesn’t seem to be an issue when is out working with the players and talking to them - either individually or as a group - just have look at all the content the club pumped out on social media this week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

More positive than many fans, but that is to be expected.  Also clearly has not had enough time to get ideas over.  However, if he intends to play a different game than Nige then we are in trouble as we shall need new players, and I am doubtful personally that he will be given much room for movement in January.   He made no criticism of players and that too is understandable; hopefully he will have a go next week at the appalling finishing.

Only worry for me he kept looking downbeat with his eyes fixed on the ground.  Not great body language.

I appreciate we all have our idiosyncrasies, but I was getting irritated by his habit of looking down at the ground every time he was asked a question. Hope somebody has a word with him.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, glastored said:

I appreciate we all have our idiosyncrasies, but I was getting irritated by his habit of looking down at the ground every time he was asked a question. Hope somebody has a word with him.

Just to confirm, you want HIM to change, because YOU (and a few others) don’t like how he acts on camera?

Yep…..that sounds about right!! 

What do you think Nigel Pearsons response would have been if somebody had a word with him, and asked him to speed up in interviews because it irritated a few of the fans? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think we have to realise that under Liam, post match and pre match aren’t going to be anywhere near as interesting as under Nige - that’s not a criticism, but he very much seems to be a controlled, cliche, stock phrase person and I’m not sure we’ll get any insights - he won’t want to share as that’s not his character (and if it was Jon wouldn’t have appointed him)

The looking down was noticeable today though and lack of eye contact is generally seen as someone who doesn’t really believe what they’re saying. I’d hope that is the case here as I believe he’s smart enough to know that wasn’t good enough today.

Exactly what Lansdown and Tinnion wanted. They are both on last chances with the fans based on much talk today. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I’m incredibly down about this appointment.

Really? I hadn’t noticed!! 🤣

I’ll be honest, it’s terrible! Nigel wins that game today, end of.

OK, you’ve convinced me, but only because you said “end of”

I’m not getting into a debate on it, I’ve seen better football in non league.

I think you maybe missing the point of a forum.

Nothing against Manning but I’m getting Holden vibes. 

To be fair, they are both blonde so I’ll give you that one 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He’s half (ish) niges age. I think it’s unfair to compare him not just to Pearson but to any manager we’ve had. He admitted on day one he’d rather be on the grass than chatting to the media . Nige didn’t like it either but knew it had to happen. It’s a different culture . I’d much rather have nige’s style over Johnson’s bullshit by a mile & I think we got used to it & me personally really enjoyed his interviews. Pearson got us as a fanbase . Don’t forget though he got slagged by many on here for not clapping the fans early on at away games because he wanted player to fan interaction but plenty couldn’t see it . I bloody loved the bloke . I felt safe that he’d always represent us the fans. Liams a different generation & a different breed of manager. It’s not his fault nige was sacked. We all support the badge not the ******* clowns in charge but the manager & players . 

• Like 7

Liam gives the impression in interviews of being a bit of an introvert. Somewhat similar to JL, which might be why he saw him as a good fit. This could just be an impression though, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not that confident that this type of personality will inspire the squad to give their best if I'm honest. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Liam gives the impression in interviews of being a bit of an introvert. Somewhat similar to JL, which might be why he saw him as a good fit. This could just be an impression though, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not that confident that this type of personality will inspire the squad to give their best if I'm honest. 

It’s an interesting point. I suppose all managers/head coaches have their strengths and weaknesses. 

I think this squad will always give their best, because that’s they type of personality that NP has brought in. Even if they weren’t playing for the manager, I think they’d play for eachother. 

My biggest concern about losing Pearson (and yes, despite quite a few posts defending Manning tonight, I’m gutted he was sacked), is that Pearson never allowed a couple of defeats to turn into a long winless run. He always turned it around quickly. You always knew a win wasn’t far away. 

That’s massive in terms of preserving confidence, and arguably, it’s more vital in the Championship than any other league, because there is always so little in it. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I thought it was refreshing.confirming not done a lot with possession, was slightly irked didn't do everything that was asked but saw signs that was going to go well longer term.

Lots of people don't look at cameras etc Neurospicy being one reason, doesn't mean anything 

It’s like chalk and cheese.

How anyone could find this refreshing after Mr Pearson is baffling. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I’m incredibly down about this appointment. I’ll be honest, it’s terrible! Nigel wins that game today, end of. I’m not getting into a debate on it, I’ve seen better football in non league. Nothing against Manning but I’m getting Holden vibes. 

Doh!      But that WAS NP's team, full of NP's plauer's ?    I was a big fan of NP and did not want him to go.....but, there is No  way that performance can be laid at Manning's door?  He has only been here for 5 minutes, with no time to establish his own tactics and ethos and stamp his ideas on the team.  If come the New Year and beyond there is no improvement, I will be one of the first to criticise, but give the guy a break? 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Doh!      But that WAS NP's team, full of NP's plauer's ?    I was a big fan of NP and did not want him to go.....but, there is No  way that performance can be laid at Manning's door?  He has only been here for 5 minutes, with no time to establish his own tactics and ethos and stamp his ideas on the team.  If come the New Year and beyond there is no improvement, I will be one of the first to criticise, but give the guy a break? 

Yes it can be laid at his door! With three days in you don’t change the press and style of play that with a fully fit squad has been successful. It was dreadful! The players had no idea of game plan. I’ve been here several times. We didn’t need a new Manager bounce, but most clubs get some kind of push, that performance was down to the management. 

• Haha 1

He's got a decent record wherever he's been so happy to give the guy a chance but to say we've not worked on our attacking gameplan when we are playing a team in the bottom 3 is mind-boggling for me. Considering we have the 2nd best defensive record in the league surely that's a pretty solid base to start with and we should've focused on how we intend to score goals this week?

2 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

It’s fair to say that this guy isn’t going to get a fair chance if someone of you are criticising where he’s looking in an interview ffs

I’ve no opinion either if he’s good or bad as a football manager.

My only thoughts are, when you are talking to someone, you look at that person. 

45 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

He's got a decent record wherever he's been so happy to give the guy a chance but to say we've not worked on our attacking gameplan when we are playing a team in the bottom 3 is mind-boggling for me. Considering we have the 2nd best defensive record in the league surely that's a pretty solid base to start with and we should've focused on how we intend to score goals this week?

That is something that suprised me aswell, 'we haven't done any work in possession' found that very strange.

13 hours ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

George Tanner’s interview was good.

And yet he looked down at the ground in his interview even more than Manning! Personally I don’t get too hung up on style - I find the content more interesting. And what was interesting in Tanner’s interview was that Manning made a tweak at half time that made things a lot better down the right hand side in the second half. Manning doing things like that is more important to me than where he looks in interviews. 

• Like 2