IGNORED

Yesterday’s subs bench & Naismith

GrahamC

I must admit I didn’t realise until half time yesterday that we had only named 8 subs, think @Curr Avon made the point about the number of double barrelled surnames making it difficult to count how many pre match, but it went over my head.

Bit odd this, Tommy Backwell was on it for the previous couple, young Nelson a fair bit, plus Idehen made it once, so seems very strange that we seemingly chose not to fill it.

Secondly as we only used 3 subs in total I was puzzled Naismith didn’t feature, especially as the game was largely a stalemate. Clearly didn’t need him at the back where our central defenders played well but surprised he didn’t get a run in midfield, as his passing & set piece delivery could have created something.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

Perhaps the manager/head coach is sending a message to the younger players that he  thinks they haven’t impressed enough to warrant a place on the bench.

Seems remarkably quick to be that, would be based on a couple of training sessions, plus Joseph James, Yeboah & Knight-Lebel were all on it.

Just seemed odd not to include one more.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always wondered about Naismith-James-Knight midfield. Could that free up Knight who has been a great signing btw, a bit more to maybe get some goals like he did in his early years at Derby.

Although I like James, I've wondered about a Naismith-TGH-Knight midfield. Mainly for the reasons above, but also a better range of passing from the back.

• Like 3

• Admin
11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I must admit I didn’t realise until half time yesterday that we had only named 8 subs, think @Curr Avon made the point about the number of double barrelled surnames making it difficult to count how many pre match, but it went over my head.

Bit odd this, Tommy Backwell was on it for the previous couple, young Nelson a fair bit, plus Idehen made it once, so seems very strange that we seemingly chose not to fill it.

Secondly as we only used 3 subs in total I was puzzled Naismith didn’t feature, especially as the game was largely a stalemate. Clearly didn’t need him at the back where our central defenders played well but surprised he didn’t get a run in midfield, as his passing & set piece delivery could have created something.

I think it was me  😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The problem I’ve got with team selection at the moment is that - if I was trying to decide who should start based on performances alone - I’d want to include Vyner, Dickie, Naismith, TGH, Knight and James but it is really hard to work out what that looks like as a coherent formation. 

Looks like 3-5-2 to me but if so we aint getting enough forward threatening players in the team 

O'Leary

Vyner Dickie Naismith

Sykes James TGH Pring

Knight

Conway Cornick/Weimann/Wells when fit

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

It also wouldn't have Joe Williams in it which would be a boost 

I would replace James with naismith,naismith is a forward passer looking for openings James is a safety first negative passer neither has pace both can sit in front of defence but for me a big difference in end product. Maybe.

Oleary

Tanner vyner dickie pring

naismith 

Sykes     Knight      mehmeti ( bell)

Wells         conway

With subs to hold out or push on

Tgh James Williams cornick 

Hmm not easy to pick .I probably change opinion after every game

13 hours ago, Red from afar said:

Although I like James, I've wondered about a Naismith-TGH-Knight midfield. Mainly for the reasons above, but also a better range of passing from the back.

May be you could mix and match one or two within a basic framework.

Depending on home or away, stronger or weaker opposition, tactical considerations etc.

7 hours ago, red colin said:

I would replace James with naismith,naismith is a forward passer looking for openings James is a safety first negative passer neither has pace both can sit in front of defence but for me a big difference in end product. Maybe.

Oleary

Tanner vyner dickie pring

naismith 

Sykes     Knight      mehmeti ( bell)

Wells         conway

With subs to hold out or push on

Tgh James Williams cornick 

Hmm not easy to pick .I probably change opinion after every game

Incredibly harsh on James. General movement ahead of him is non existent. No wonder he decides to go sidewards. 

Let’s not forget that Naismith started his career as an attacking midfielder. 

I’m wondering if, based on the way Manning occasionally set up at Oxford, that he might be able to utilise all 4 of our CM’s, to try to get dominance on the ball. 

He’s occasionally set up with a bit of a box midfield; with 2 deep CM’s and 2 higher CM’s. 

Perhaps we could try something like :

Tanner-Vyner-Dickie-Pring
           James - TGH 
       Knight     -   Naismith
         Conway - Wells

In this set up, there are 2 deep lying CM’s which allows the 2 full backs to push on. 
The 2 advanced CM’s have a free rein to roam and try to create. 
Gives us 2 up top too. 

I think this at least gives us our best ‘ball-players’ in the central midfield areas. Something I think is crucial to what Manning would want. Ball dominance. 

• Like 4

Naismith has to play for me, we’re a much better team with him in it. It’s incredible harsh on whichever of Vyner or Dickie has to make way, but for me it should be Naismith next to either of them.

Obviously he doesn’t deserve any criticism as he’s only been here five minutes, but Naismith not getting on on Saturday in a game as poor as that made absolutely no sense. You could have brought him on in about five different positions and his ability and ambition on the ball would have improved the dross on show.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 1

We played a 4-2-2-2 @Harry under LJ a couple of times, most notably in a televised game against WBA where we went 3-0 up in the first 20 minutes. It looked really good going forward and WBA didn't know what hit them. But they soon got to grips with it and scored 2 and we were hanging on at the end with most of our team behind the ball.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Robin 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m wondering if, based on the way Manning occasionally set up at Oxford, that he might be able to utilise all 4 of our CM’s, to try to get dominance on the ball. 

He’s occasionally set up with a bit of a box midfield; with 2 deep CM’s and 2 higher CM’s. 

James - TGH 
       Knight     -   Naismith
         Conway - Wells

In this set up, there are 2 deep lying CM’s which allows the 2 full backs to push on. 
Gives us 2 up top too. 

I think this at least gives us our best ‘ball-players’ in the central midfield areas. Something I think is crucial to what Manning would want. Ball dominance. 

I do like that set up. I want to see a front two but would be hesitant in changing to back a 3/5, as we look pretty solid.

Id be tempted to play Sykes in place of Tanner, especially at home. Tanner just doesn’t offer anything going forward. I think he’ll end up as a CB, ideally in a 3.

12 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Looks like 3-5-2 to me but if so we aint getting enough forward threatening players in the team 

O'Leary

Vyner Dickie Naismith

Sykes James TGH Pring

Knight

Conway Cornick/Weimann/Wells when fit

I'd go for this too.

Without a natural ball carrying midfielder, then we need to use Dickie and Naismith to carry the ball into midfield and become creative.  Both are capable.  Strong press from Conway, Wells, Knight supported by Sykes and Pring playing high up the pitch.  

Edited by Red Skin

6 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Incredibly harsh on James. General movement ahead of him is non existent. No wonder he decides to go sidewards. 

Sorry, but TGH always has his head up when receiving the ball and his first option seems to be “can I go forward”. And most of the time he does go forward when he can. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Hope he has learn't that Mehmeti is crap and Weimann is a headless chicken 

unlikely… as reported he was going to try get Mehmeti on loan at  Oxford.. in January, so he must see a player in him, as did previous management here who paid a lot money for him..there should be a thread on its own rec Anis

3 hours ago, Harry said:

James - TGH 
       Knight     -   Naismith
         Conway - Wells

Gives us 2 up top too. 

That could be interesting, definitely has potential to give us control in the centre..which as you say helps wirh ball dominance, do we then discard Sykes, Bell etc?

Conway is often said to be better with a partner too albeit Naismith deeper alongside James and TGH higher, Idk.

Being in a pair for depth or rotation or subbing on may suit Weimann and Cornick too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous