IGNORED

Cup tie against Norwich in 1909

ashton_fan

I have managed to download this newspaper clip from February 20th 1909 previewing Norwich's big cup tie at Bristol City, this would have been in the run to the final against Man Utd. Norwich were in the South Eastern league at the time so it would have been a big upset to beat Bristol City. The article is headlined "Football" in the column at the top of the page just right of the photos. I note from the league tables that the Gas and Swindle both played in the Southern League at the time:

The_Downham_Market_Gazette_20_February_1909_0008.thumb.jpg.e34a78523fd78ddd78841db0bc9a88ee.jpg

Edited by ashton_fan
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We don't even get a mention. Charming! If you notice the Southern League table, all the teams are currently in the pro-leagues - New Brompton changed their name to Gillingham in 1912.

It looks like some team are in two divisions? Norwich for example, they also have a reserve side so it's not that.

Screenshot_2023-11-13-12-41-16-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by Port Said Red

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Looks like a totally unbiased neutral review to me. We were just brilliant that day - you won't find anyone that says otherwise.

While I was looking for stories on City I came across numerous interesting articles on football in general, one article from around 1912 was complaining how in the "modern game" there were too many goalless draws and that it was better in the old days of the 1880s and 1890s when things were less organised and there were more goals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure Swindon Town and Bristol Rovers were Southern League (Amateur Level) Until around 1922 when the League's merged with the 1st and 2nd Division. Southern League became the 3rd Division.

Swindon and Rovers have always been historic rivals because of their similar league positions since the early 20th Century. Still historically third tier clubs (Despite Swindon's current position).

City were one of the only Southern Professional clubs in the very early stages of the 20th century. 

We've underachieved.

• Robin 1

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Pretty sure Swindon Town and Bristol Rovers were Southern League (Amateur Level) Until around 1922 when the League's merged with the 1st and 2nd Division. Southern League became the 3rd Division.

Swindon and Rovers have always been historic rivals because of their similar league positions since the early 20th Century. Still historically third tier clubs (Despite Swindon's current position).

City were one of the only Southern Professional clubs in the very early stages of the 20th century. 

We've underachieved.

The Southern League wasn't amatuer. When Bristol City were in it before joining the Northern based Football League in 1901 the players were professionals. Basically, back then there were two professional football leagues, the Southern based Southern League and the Northern based Football League. The Football League had the strongest teams and eventually won out after the Great War when many of the Southern League sides joined the much expanded Football League. But the Southern League had many strong teams the equal of Football League sides, hence Tottenham Hotspur winning the FA Cup as a Southern League side in 1901.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

The Southern League wasn't amatuer. When Bristol City were in it before joining the Northern based Football League in 1901 the players were professionals. Basically, back then there were two professional football leagues, the Southern based Southern League and the Northern based Football League. The Football League had the strongest teams and eventually won out after the Great War when many of the Southern League sides joined the much expanded Football League. But the Southern League had many strong teams the equal of Football League sides, hence Tottenham Hotspur winning the FA Cup as a Southern League side in 1901.

Thanks for correcting me 😂 Sounds better!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2015 said:

Thanks for correcting me 😂 Sounds better!

No worries, it's an easy mistake to make. I used to use the question about the only non-league club to have won the FA Cup (since the FL started in 1888), that being Spurs in 1901. But stopped using it when I came to realize that Spurs were a fully professional club in an alternative league to the Football League. So weren't really 'non-league' as we class it today and since 1919. Nowadays non league means below the four tiers of the Football League, but back then there was no pyramid at all. In fact many of the early charity shield matches were played between the winners of the Football League and Southern League. 

14 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Isn't it true that the only 'non league' team to beat City in the FA Cup is Spurs unlike a near neighbour who seem to manage it every four or five years?

Sadly no. Crewe came to AG for a cup game and won 3-0 in January 1911 when they were in the Central League and City were then in Div 1.

Ten years later Crewe were invited to join the newly created Div 3 North.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

It's probably been done to death, but what's the main theory why we went from being a fairly top club in the early days to a century and more of being totally average? Was there some financial disaster in the 1920s or something I've never heard about? 

It's probably just that the other teams started later than us and got better over time and overtook us.