IGNORED

We have the second best defence in the league

pl00peh91

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

The disconnect is our midfield. Knight is brilliant at breaking up play but what do we do with it.

I know people will shoot me down but it's my opinion we need to improve and ultimately replace James. He's too slow and cumbersome, he always commits to his credit. He also tries long passes that don't often come off but atleast he's trying something. We need a ball carrier or a play maker of some kind. Same with Weimann. He's not a midfielder and seems to have lost that pressing edge he used to have. TGH needs more games because he atleast tries to make things happen. However, he's not the complete answer. We need a new CM addition in Jan as I can't see any in our squad injured or not that can progress us.

We defend well, look for options to progress find out there isn't any recycle the ball. We do this very slowly and allow the opposition to reset. Do this a couple of times. Get frustrated hit it long or try a Hollywood pass and lose possession. When we play quickly and burst down the wings on occasions and get a ball in the box we have limited success.

There has been alot of talk about Conway but he's feeding off scraps. I think if he had more opportunities presented to him he'd put them in the back of the net.

My view is that we HAVE BEEN a better team with Matty James in it, than when he’s not in it.

But that’s not to say in LM’s system that continues to be the case.  So I’m open-minded to how our midfield is set up and the personnel in it.  It could be more horses for courses, a player key in Nige’s midfield isn’t as key in a LM midfield.

On Saturday in the spell we pressed quite well, it was noticeable how high Jamo was.  In the pics below he’s closer to our forwards than he is our centre-backs.

image.thumb.png.8941870eb84614fd584c0b92e3f94c05.png
image.thumb.png.03d78b9af0e6df4b4dea9d6a0c10f3bf.png

But as a midfield we didn’t maintain that high positioning, especially second half, when we got caught being too much on top of our defence.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Could do with getting Naismith on the pitch..

I agree, but I’m not sure where at this point.  I also really like TGH too.  But it is possible that what we’ve become used to in our midfield changes quite a bit in terms of shape and personnel.  I will wait to see how LM solves this.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

In a manner I agree, but I don't think replacing one player will change that and James does so much that is overlooked but becomes more obvious when he's missing. Our issue is we have midfielders who are all good in their own rights but none of capable of doing all the things we need at this level. The key thing missing that makes James an easier target is direct passes, none of our midfield play that type of pass, and I'm not talking about a high long ball towards an attacking player, I'm talking about good vision of playing passes directly into danger areas. The only player that does this really well in our whole squad is Naismith and his issue is that by playing him in midfield we lose that burst of energy. We could play a midfield comprised of TGH, Naismith and Knight meaning Knight would do a lot of that graft that Naismith struggles with but again, this would make us one dimensional when the opposition knows we only have one player capable of making those kinds of passes, as soon as Naismith gets on the ball you just cut out passing options and tight mark. What we need is a midfield 3 who are all capable of making direct, to feet, or running onto option low passes that cause the opposition trouble. We lack height so the long diagonal balls that we've played for a lot of the season are nullified easily and just give possession back to the opposition, we comprise our front three of pacey, direct players but have no midfielders who can play the passes that they feed off of. Replacing James with an all around midfielder who can make that kind of pass and adding Naismith to the midfield would certainly improve us but then if either are injured that puts us back to square one where the opposition can easily set up to prevent that style of play.

If we want to really push this system we need players in those 3 roles who are all willing and able to keep the ball on the ground and still make passes that put the opposition under pressure and give our attacking players something to work off of. We would also benefit massively by having a midfielder who looks to get just inside the edge of the box for low driven crosses and more than not when we play those passes into the box the strikers are closer to the 6 yard box and then rest of the area is empty so the ball just gets cleared. A midfielder who could get into that position would add a whole new level of danger to our attacks, especially when Sykes and mostly Bell, get into those areas where they cut the ball back with power across the box.

TGH and Joe Williams are those two players, although I’d argue TGH is the better pass-spreader over distance, JW is erratic at best, but he can do it.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think my feeling with Mehmeti is it's worth persevering with him in the team a little longer simply because I feel he's the player Manning needs to make a quick decision on. I'd give him more opportunities until January to show enough to demonstrate he can be a creative force in the division and, if he cannot do that, see if we can free up enough of wage (and maybe fee) to get a more effective creative option into the team.

I'd not give up in him yet but I do feel he needs to very quickly show some evidence that it's worth us keeping him around.

The trouble with Mehmeti is that he does not seem capable of quick decisions, to turn that around.

• Like 1

I see it this way - James and Knight are doing exactly what they are asked to do. One calm and solid positionaly, one high energy tenacious non stop worker. It’s the third in the three that’s the issue, the one who links the wide 2 and one CF. Weimann not technically/aware enough, and no obvious choice. I think they need to go outside the club for a solution 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Naismith with his range of passing could add another dimension.

Could mix and match Naismith, Gardner-Hickman and Williams for the 3rd based on tactical considerations etc when all fit and well..it's a squad game after all.

Broadly the same shape, baseline but tweaking it as and when.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Far be it for me to be seen agreeing with JL. I shudder at that thought. But reading the comments on this thread makes me think perhaps we do already have the players here to compete. 

We definately need to be picking from a fully fit squad but maybe the players are here already. It just needs the manager to get the correct round pegs in the correct round holes. 

I've no idea which style Manning wants to play but if he came here knowing what the squad was, and knowing he had no cash to spend, and knowing what was expected of him, he must have a masterplan. I can't wait!

• Hmmm 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that we HAVE BEEN a better team with Matty James in it, than when he’s not in it.

But that’s not to say in LM’s system that continues to be the case.  So I’m open-minded to how our midfield is set up and the personnel in it.  It could be more horses for courses, a player key in Nige’s midfield isn’t as key in a LM midfield.

On Saturday in the spell we pressed quite well, it was noticeable how high Jamo was.  In the pics below he’s closer to our forwards than he is our centre-backs.

image.thumb.png.8941870eb84614fd584c0b92e3f94c05.png
image.thumb.png.03d78b9af0e6df4b4dea9d6a0c10f3bf.png

But as a midfield we didn’t maintain that high positioning, especially second half, when we got caught being too much on top of our defence.

I agree, but I’m not sure where at this point.  I also really like TGH too.  But it is possible that what we’ve become used to in our midfield changes quite a bit in terms of shape and personnel.  I will wait to see how LM solves this.

TGH and Joe Williams are those two players, although I’d argue TGH is the better pass-spreader over distance, JW is erratic at best, but he can do it.

I think to move on we need to replace Williams and James,we are going no where with these  two apart from staying mid table which jl doesn't think is enough,I would put naismith in front of back 4 who are solid enough and hopefully to add mcrorie . dickie & vyner can both carry out into midfield when needed as can Atkinson when available so naismith is not the only option. Naismith if fit of course is always looking for a killer pass where James is safety first (not a fault but not progressive either, )I think we have movement available with Sykes tgh Knight Bell conway etc but it gets stuck with the steady James (,my opinion) where as naismith is more forward thinking and would instantly be looking to play forward rather than sideways.i would bring james or Williams on to save a game not win it. I would leave it to LM to organise in front of back 4 and naismith but think we have the players to be front foot from there. 

• Like 1