IGNORED

A Chairman - not ours! - giving their perspective on sacking the manager...

LondonBristolian

I thought this was an interesting read and timely given the events of the last month:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/20/sacking-a-manager-is-the-hardest-call-but-the-evidence-will-speak-for-itself

It's by the Grimsby Chair and it's interesting to see - rightly or wrongly- how data driven the process can be even at a League Two level. Obviously I've no idea what, if any analysis, was made ahead of the decision on Pearson but was interesting to see a decision-makers' perspective on what is obviously often an emotional and contentious decision. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Interesting piece, thanks.

To me, that all chimes very much more with the departure of Lee Johnson.

I can’t help feeling that the decision on Pearson was (whatever was said publicly) about something more fundamental: either personal (health etc) or personality - and I don’t just mean a clash, but a basic disagreement on what the article describes as the right direction/objectives. 

• Like 1

His occasional columns for The Guardian are always interesting. An intelligent and thoughtful co-owner who doesn't think he is always right.

Listening to Jon in particular I don't get the sense that our thinking is as nuanced.

It's important to stress in this case that Stockwood makes it clear that analysis is only part of the process e.g. in looking at whether performances are better than results suggest.

• Like 2

Good read, ta for sharing.

Being slightly cynical, even if you plan what you’re gonna do 5 games ahead, it still boils down to a one-game decision.  Stockwood admits they had 3 possible outcomes ahead of the Doncaster fixture.

I suspect similar with Nige, the build-up over a period, before pulling the plug after Cardiff.

Nor can you keep putting it off one game at a time, that’s no good for anyone.

So, courage in your convictions is the order of the day even if it feels unpopular, which again takes us back to Nige / LM.  I sense SL, GM, JL and Tins will be doing all they can to help LM be a success / match their convictions.

I’ll be a bit frustrated / annoyed if they heavily support LM in January, because they’ve said this squad is good enough, but as long as they don’t go full-circle and repeat the “bonkers” recruitment of before, then it’s City I care about.  I might always have a lingering “why didn’t they back Nige similarly”, but it will be tempered by they at least realised the squad wasn’t as good as they thought.  I hope they learn too, if that’s the case, that their own evaluations aren’t as good as they think.

Starting to ramble a bit, but they have put a lot of stock in creating this structure with the specific personnel.  As I’ve said before, we truly can judge them on this, it is all their making.  As a City fan, I hope they’ve got it right.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

So, courage in your convictions is the order of the day even if it feels unpopular, which again takes us back to Nige / LM.  I sense SL, GM, JL and Tins will be doing all they can to help LM be a success / match their convictions.

I’ll be a bit frustrated / annoyed if they heavily support LM in January, because they’ve said this squad is good enough, but as long as they don’t go full-circle and repeat the “bonkers” recruitment of before, then it’s City I care about.  I might always have a lingering “why didn’t they back Nige similarly”, but it will be tempered by they at least realised the squad wasn’t as good as they thought.  I hope they learn too, if that’s the case, that their own evaluations aren’t as good as they think.

.  As a City fan, I hope they’ve got it right.

The writing was one the wall long before Nige was actually sacked. I bumped into Jon Lansdown a few weeks ago in a cafe in Nailsea and I mentioned that Nige ought to given a new contract as imo he was doing a good job. 

JLs reactive body language told me immediately that Nige’s days were numbered but he clearly didn’t want to talk about it. 

There was obviously something going on behind the scenes that we fans wouldn’t be aware of probably going back to last season - a clash of personalities seems likely ……….:cool2:

I really wonder what the Lansdowns expect when City’s better players are sold and very little, if any of that revenue is ploughed back into the squad. Add to that the incapacitating injuries to key players and yet they still want to be a force in the Championship.

Everyone knows that the winter window is not the time to do business but possibly Manning might want to bring an Oxford player or two - it’ll be interesting to see if he gets licence to do that or maybe ‘advised’ to wait to the summer window.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The writing was one the wall long before Nige was actually sacked. I bumped into Jon Lansdown a few weeks ago in a cafe in Nailsea and I mentioned that Nige ought to given a new contract as imo he was doing a good job. 

Did you deny being Robbored from the forum or have you stopped doing that to club representatives now?

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

JLs reactive body language told me immediately that Nige’s days were numbered but he clearly didn’t want to talk about it. 

There was obviously something going on behind the scenes that we fans wouldn’t be aware of probably going back to last season - a clash of personalities seems likely ……….:cool2:

I really wonder what the Lansdowns expect when City’s better players are sold and very little, if any of that revenue is ploughed back into the squad. Add to that the incapacitating injuries to key players and yet they still want to be a force in the Championship.

Everyone knows that the winter window is not the time to do business but possibly Manning might want to bring an Oxford player or two - it’ll be interesting to see if he gets licence to do that or maybe ‘advised’ to wait to the summer window.

out of interest,if you were to see him again, would you ask why nige got binned out?  the one thing i want to know is if tins was behind it? did he think he knew better?  if the answer to that is no, i would be a little bit happier with the change as we know the lansdowns dont have a clue

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Suddenly the sacking of Pearson makes more sense. As a regular reader of OTIB, Jon immediately thought "if Robbored thinks we need to keep Nige then we'd better get rid ASAP!"

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

out of interest,if you were to see him again, would you ask why nige got binned out?  the one thing i want to know is if tins was behind it? did he think he knew better?  if the answer to that is no, i would be a little bit happier with the change as we know the lansdowns dont have a clue

It unlikely that I’ll bump into JL again and even if I did he’ll probably say that he’s nothing to add with the justification being in his statement on the OS.

• Like 1

Jon Lansdown doesn't appear to have a personality.

He’d dropped his lads off for their guitar lessons and popped in for a bacon sarnie. I guess he could have got a free bacon sarnie at the HPC….

Hmm. In Nailsea you say.

Just for clarification.

Did you actually see these so-called "lads"and where he dropped them off? 

Was it, by any chance, close to Nige's favourite watering-hole?

And furthermore, did you happen to see what their guitar cases really contained?

• Hmmm 1