IGNORED

Liam Manning on SOTC

Silvio Dante

Like any sport , if we’re winning and performing well he can talk all the bollox  he wants ( in Chinese for all I care ) 

2 very big games coming up ( tough ones at that ) I can see the vultures circling bit unfair I think because there both very loseable whoever was in charge, will do himself a great favour if he gets 4 points from these 2 games 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Like any sport , if we’re winning and performing well he can talk all the bollox  he wants ( in Chinese for all I care ) 

2 very big games coming up ( tough ones at that ) I can see the vultures circling bit unfair I think because there both very loseable whoever was in charge, will do himself a great favour if he gets 4 points from these 2 games 

兰斯当出去!

I listened earlier. Thought it was fine but he doesn't really inspire..was it Hadwin interviewing him, it wasn't especially inspirational as far as interviews go.

That aside, he gave due credit to what he inherited, empowering players is good- clearly you need a balance there between sticking to a plan and as there are two sides, sometimes you need to take it up on yourself a bit.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I listened earlier. Thought it was fine but he doesn't really inspire..was it Hadwin interviewing him, it wasn't especially inspirational as far as interviews go.

That aside, he gave due credit to what he inherited, empowering players is good- clearly you need a balance there between sticking to a plan and as there are two sides, sometimes you need to take it up on yourself a bit.

It’s interesting when you go looking deeper into sports/coaching/leadership and be great at speaking there aren’t many who tick all the boxes.

I think I’ll take the coaching, team leadership and results over the speaking providing there is more content coming from elsewhere in the club to fill that gap perhaps. 

Edited by CityReds

1 minute ago, CityReds said:

It’s interesting when you go looking deeper into sports/coaching/leadership and be great at speaking there aren’t many who tick all the boxes.

I think I’ll take the coaching, team leadership and results over the speaking providing there is more content coming from elsewhere in the club to fill that gap perhaps. 

Agree with that and on that basis, I'd get Warnock employed solely as the court jester to do the interviews and slag off the referees.  After all, he's always wanted to work for us.  

• Haha 1

to be fair. he comes across pretty genuine. he's no charmer. he doesn't overly inspire.

he's still very young - only 38. when i was 38, i would also have been genuine but dull, i'm still dull now.

as you go on the journey of life, experience means you develop certain skills. and some don't ever develop at all.

TBH, i'd rather he was a great coach, who delivers great results and progress. he doesn't need to be a great interviewee.

• Like 6

Listening to him describe his coaching journey I was wondering if Bristol City are still being influenced by Mark Ashton given the Coach Ashton recruited for Ipswich.

Sounds like money will be spent in January both on permanent and loans.

It would seem that the nest egg is going to be raided.

6 hours ago, Kibs said:

I won’t criticise the interviewer, because I’ve never interviewed anyone in my life in this context, but I find it a hard listen when they continually ask leading questions - much like the in house City stuff. 

It seemed a very safe interview to the point I'm sure the club approved a list of questions to be asked. 

7 hours ago, Pezo said:

But then it's just anything anyone could tell us about any football club. I'm not interested in Manning and his philosophy until it impacts on Bristol city.

Nige managed to at least imply things that were happening and what he had to change. What is Manning trying to change? Where does he see the problems at the moment with Bristol city?

This is Niges 1st interview 

He was quite open and Frank about the situation and what needed to be done. 

With Manning, having listened to various interviews all I know is that he intends to teach the team his principles, what those principles are tho he hasn't really gone into too much detail. 

He says a lot, without saying much of any interest. Very politician like.

• Like 3

I didn’t see/hear anything wrong with last nights interview on SOTC. The fact that the questions were hardly challenging, isn’t his fault…..I think that the Fans Forum will be more of a challenge next Monday.

As others have said, he will be judged on performances and vitally, results - that’s what we all want, right?

Whether we agree with NP dismissal (I didn’t), we have to give Liam a proper chance - we’ve got some tough games coming up and both he, and more importantly, the players now need our full backing.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was it not a good performance though?  What makes a good performance for you?

I didn't think we played very well.  A good performance for me includes:

• restricting the opposition to 1 or 2 half chances
  • making more than 3 passes on a regularly basis, and none of those passes being James tapping it back to Vyner
  • for those passes to be along the ground, no longer than 20 yards, and look as if the player passing, and the player receiving the ball, know each other
  • a midfielder, any midfielder, just one midfielder, to actually get past the forwards and become an attacking threat.
  • Or a bit of pace in the team
  • Or one player to make a back heel "just because"

Just the basics of football really.  Something sadly lacking under Pearson.

And if they were in your opinion “grimly awful” it ought to be a piece of piss to improve then? 🤣🤣🤣

Yes. It will be.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

For what it’s worth, I think people are being a bit overly harsh of both the interviewer and interviewee.

Sure, Ed Hadwin is no Geoff Twentyman and Liam Manning is no Nigel Pearson, but the questions were fairly engaging and the new head coach spoke pretty well - especially when you consider the two will have barely met. It takes time to build rapport and trust.

IMO people need to let go of the whole Nigel Pearson comparison thing. Those questions are for the board at the end of the season.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I didn't think we played very well.  A good performance for me includes:

• restricting the opposition to 1 or 2 half chances
  • making more than 3 passes on a regularly basis, and none of those passes being James tapping it back to Vyner
  • for those passes to be along the ground, no longer than 20 yards, and look as if the player passing, and the player receiving the ball, know each other
  • a midfielder, any midfielder, just one midfielder, to actually get past the forwards and become an attacking threat.
  • Or a bit of pace in the team
  • Or one player to make a back heel "just because"

Just the basics of football really.  Something sadly lacking under Pearson.

Yes. It will be.

I’d like to see your PowerPoint version 🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

For what it’s worth, I think people are being a bit overly harsh of both the interviewer and interviewee.

Sure, Ed Hadwin is no Geoff Twentyman and Liam Manning is no Nigel Pearson, but the questions were fairly engaging and the new head coach spoke pretty well - especially when you consider the two will have barely met. It takes time to build rapport and trust.

IMO people need to let go of the whole Nigel Pearson comparison thing. Those questions are for the board at the end of the season.

I know, I don’t get the inability to divorce the two.

4 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Listening to him describe his coaching journey I was wondering if Bristol City are still being influenced by Mark Ashton given the Coach Ashton recruited for Ipswich.

Sounds like money will be spent in January both on permanent and loans.

It would seem that the nest egg is going to be raided.

Amazing, it was maxed out a couple of months ago. I struggled to listen to that, very very dull. I was anti Johnson but even he had some charisma. Definitely lacks the daring nature of Nige, will take me some time to get over this. Truly hope Manning delivers on the pitch, not inspired thus far but would happily be proved wrong! 

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is Niges 1st interview 

He was quite open and Frank about the situation and what needed to be done. 

With Manning, having listened to various interviews all I know is that he intends to teach the team his principles, what those principles are tho he hasn't really gone into too much detail. 

He says a lot, without saying much of any interest. Very politician like.

Still feels like he's still in charge a very strange feeling. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d like to see your PowerPoint version 🤣🤣🤣

Not really understanding that?

Do you think Pearson's team played good football? 20 mins against Stoke, 1 half against Ipswich etc, but these were the exceptions that showed his players were not really well coached.

On 20/11/2023 at 16:41, petehinton said:

For a moment there, likely down to a combination of how poor/non eventful QPR was, and how long this international break he felt, I genuinely forgot he was our head coach 

I've found myself very meh about this season which is weird considering we're top half, with a new up and coming manager and over half a season to go. 

If we could put on a show against Borough, it might just get the adrenaline going again!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Not really understanding that?

Do you think Pearson's team played good football? 20 mins against Stoke, 1 half against Ipswich etc, but these were the exceptions that showed his players were not really well coached.

Don’t worry, you not seen LJ’s PowerPoint?

+++++

Yes, I do at times, not all the time. But we will just end up in a subjective “argument”.

+++++

I think the “not well coached” rhetoric comes about because Nige didn’t do it himself, but what to we think Curtis and Jason (and others) did “on the grass”.

Funny that other managers said on several occasions this season that “we” are well coached, well drilled, etc.  Well coached can mean many things on the pitch.  Does a poorly coached team only concede 16 goals, does a poorly coached team improve its effectiveness of set-pieces at both ends of the pitch.  Yeah, we aren’t always very pleasing on the eye, but that is something that Nige was attempting to evolve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2