IGNORED

Favourite Away ground you visited following City.

SomeRandomBristolian

2 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

For home fans..

Anyone who went there on the Tuesday night 5-0 defeat won't share your joy.

Probably the only time I genuinely feared for my life at a football match.

And I went to some pretty infamous games in my day.

I was there and I loved it. Proper football ground……

Got a lot of time for West Ham, proper old skool football club.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hi mate, I remember us having to wear blue shirts away at Northampton in the Scott McGarvey days - but did we really wear blue against Orient? Can’t recall that?! 

Yep, we definitely wore blue in that cup match at Orient. I can`t recall why though. We lost 4-1. We scored first, a rocket from Peter Johnson, a left back we had on loan (?) from Newcastle.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hi mate, I remember us having to wear blue shirts away at Northampton in the Scott McGarvey days - but did we really wear blue against Orient? Can’t recall that?! 

@Lanterne Rouge beat me too it . I can only think we too the wrong kit , unless the Ref thought the white change shirst clashed too.

7 hours ago, fisherrich said:

I was there and I loved it. Proper football ground……

Got a lot of time for West Ham, proper old skool football club.

We went in the supporters club across the road one year, good as gold. Love going to West Ham, even had a drink in the Bowlyn Arms the year we played Charlton there.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned the likes of Alfreton, Braintree, Eastleigh, Nuneaton etc.

My inlaws live not too far away from Braintree , so I've been several times. 

I decided not to go up when you visited, even though my Brother in Law was keen. Shame really I like the bar & now you can take beer on the terrace , how did you get on up there  ? :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

For home fans..

Anyone who went there on the Tuesday night 5-0 defeat won't share your joy.

Probably the only time I genuinely feared for my life at a football match.

And I went to some pretty infamous games in my day.

All part of the buzz back in the day. Get off at Upton Park tube station turn right and run the gauntlet past Charlene's night club under that mass of concrete.

On 23/11/2023 at 20:44, Davefevs said:

New Wembley….2015 😉

Seriously though Filbert Street, the Dziekanowski FA Cup game.  I don’t go away very often, that was great.  Absolutely soaked.

That game at Filbert St...... 

Asked a Copper for a 'safe, away' pub - walked into a sea of blue that went deathly quiet... 🙄

Got a taxi to Filbert St 'Away End, please' - he said 'I'll drop you here, just walk around that corner'...... a walk through a 'noisy' Home End....... 🙄

Got back to the 'safe' car park (soaking wet)- car broken into, stereo gone, had to drive back with the seat belt through the door handle to keep the door closed..... 🙄

Still one of the best away days / grounds for me.... 🤣

Edited by chalkeyred
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 3

22 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

There's something special about going to an old style English stadium.

Places like Millmoor, Rotherham's old ground surrounded by scrap dealers and pubs selling great tasting beer at ridiculously cheap prices.

The Baseball ground, Edgar street and the very much mentioned Griffin park were other favourites. 

I can't explain what it is about these, now quite rare, run down dumps that does it for me.

Eastville always had a similar feel with an added edge. 

Agreed and for that reason Leyton Orient away in the Cotts promotion season is one of my all time favourites.

A Tuesday night in March, 1 - 3 win and we really started to believe we’d win the bloody thing! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bo Andersons dietician said:

I always just loved going to absolute sh1tholes. Made me feel like a proper fan. I’m thinking Doncaster’s Belle Vue or Oxford’s Manor Ground. 

Honourable mention to Rushden and Diamonds ground, whatever that was called. Wasn’t a sh1thole but did an amazing burger. 

worst burger i had was at notts county 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

For sheer comedy value , Northampton’s old ground where one side was actually a cricket pitch ! Whenever the ball went out the poor ball boy had to leg it about 300 yards to go and get it 😂 

Or Shrewsbury, where they had to fish it out of the river! 

11 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

Swindon for me. It was one of those ones that comes out of a tin, and they didn’t even bother to heat it up. Vile. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

Best pie i had was at Notts County, msny years ago though. 

Best pasty ever award still goes to our neighbours at the tented village. Huge, succulent, tasty and cheap. Almost made up for having to watch football in such awful surroundings 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chalkeyred said:

That game at Filbert St...... 

Asked a Copper for a 'safe, away' pub - walked into a sea of blue that went deathly quiet... 🙄

Got a taxi to Filbert St 'Away End, please' - he said 'I'll drop you here, just walk around that corner'...... a walk through a 'noisy' Home End....... 🙄

Got back to the 'safe' car park (soaking wet)- car broken into, stereo gone, had to drive back with the seat belt through the door handle to keep the door closed..... 🙄

Still one of the best away days / grounds for me.... 🤣

That FA Cup Jacki game at Filbert street was very special.
Filbert street was one of those old style grounds where the atmosphere just bounced around the place. City had thousands there that day and the place was absolutely rocking.
Still remember the ROAR of the City fans when Junior Bent was storming down the wing.

Great memories.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think we did wear blue. Didn't we go 1-0 up as well?

I remember a wooden shed at the top of the away terrace, serving beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Best pasty ever award still goes to our neighbours at the tented village. Huge, succulent, tasty and cheap. Almost made up for having to watch football in such awful surroundings 

19 hours ago, italian dave said:

Or Shrewsbury, where they had to fish it out of the river! 

Swindon for me. It was one of those ones that comes out of a tin, and they didn’t even bother to heat it up. Vile. 

it was one of those tinned snotters i had too,my memory is vague but wasnt it open terrace backed by a brick wall with a road behind? i do remember it being a wet, miserable grey day and wishing afterwards that we had played forest instead in their posh ground as we walked past it afterwards, we lost aswell making it even greyer

22 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

3 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

it was one of those tinned snotters i had too,my memory is vague but wasnt it open terrace backed by a brick wall with a road behind? i do remember it being a wet, miserable grey day and wishing afterwards that we had played forest instead in their posh ground as we walked past it afterwards, we lost aswell making it even greyer

Best pie for me was at Gillingham one time. We must have hit lucky because I don’t think it was their normal fare. But they had a table serving home made pies and they were fantastic.

I know this is about away grounds, but as it’s moved onto food, got to give some recognition to Ashton Gate. I think the food we’ve had in recent years has been the best you’ll find anywhere. It’s gone downhill this year, but the goat curry is still there! 

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Best pie for me was at Gillingham one time. We must have hit lucky because I don’t think it was their normal fare. But they had a table serving home made pies and they were fantastic.

I know this is about away grounds, but as it’s moved onto food, got to give some recognition to Ashton Gate. I think the food we’ve had in recent years has been the best you’ll find anywhere. It’s gone downhill this year, but the goat curry is still there! 

I guess having a pie or similar is all part of the away day experience, hence the thread changing track.

I agree on everything you say about Ashton Gate food, much better in recent years, not so good this season, must admit I’ve not had the curry goat yet this season but will do.

The thing that gets me annoyed is how they have to cremate the pies, unless you get one before 2.30 they’re usually too dried out to enjoy any later. I get the H&S stuff but other clubs don’t seem to do this. 

10 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I guess having a pie or similar is all part of the away day experience, hence the thread changing track.

I agree on everything you say about Ashton Gate food, much better in recent years, not so good this season, must admit I’ve not had the curry goat yet this season but will do.

The thing that gets me annoyed is how they have to cremate the pies, unless you get one before 2.30 they’re usually too dried out to enjoy any later. I get the H&S stuff but other clubs don’t seem to do this. 

I probably miss that then: I’m usually there earlier. 

The other thing I’ve enjoyed this season has been the pulled pork baps from the Jolly Hog stall. Not cheap, but really nice. I do miss the pie and mash (evening games) and the burgers they used to sell at the Atyeo end of the Dolman concourse. Most of it seems to have gone a bit more bland this season. 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2023 at 08:01, 1960maaan said:

My inlaws live not too far away from Braintree , so I've been several times. 

I decided not to go up when you visited, even though my Brother in Law was keen. Shame really I like the bar & now you can take beer on the terrace , how did you get on up there  ? :thumbsup: 

All part of life's rich tapestry :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Vetch Field was cracker of a ground with a rather nice welcome from the locals !

0-5 on the 20th March 1989 . Oh what a night !!!

That was lively getting out of there! 🥊🥊

Those little back streets were a nightmare.

Like others, the Boleyn, old Den, Ayresome Park, Baseball ground, Tinnion park and Highfield Road (1977) are the ones I liked. Sadly all long gone. Blinding atmospheres though.

On the 'intimidating' factor, many fans of other clubs say our place used to be bad back in the day, not that we probably noticed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

That was lively getting out of there! 🥊🥊

Those little back streets were a nightmare.

Like others, the Boleyn, old Den, Ayresome Park, Baseball ground, Tinnion park and Highfield Road (1977) are the ones I liked. Sadly all long gone. Blinding atmospheres though.

On the 'intimidating' factor, many fans of other clubs say our place used to be bad back in the day, not that we probably noticed.

One of the reasons why I loved the old AG. It was most certainly intimidating, as all parts of the ground was vocal - The East End, Williams, Enclosure, The Park and last but not least the Dolman. I actually went in the away end for a few games just to gauge the Dolman atmosphere and it was pretty impressive when A and B Block got vocal. I for one miss it.

You can stick stick your “prawn sandwiches up yer arse” as far as I am concerned. Modern day football grounds are most sterile places nowadays, just glad I witnessed the 80s and 90s. Great days.

• Like 1

Sunderland my favourite. Great arena, great fans who are passionate yet welcoming in my experience. Also enjoy Exeter although never been there with City.

Worst - Wigan. Soulless arena and their new-found wealth and comparative success had attracted more than their fair share of numbskulls bent on aggro by the final day of the 2000-2001 season and walking back to the train station from the stadium was a bit of a run the gauntlet job.