IGNORED

Good player for Boro today..

DT The Optimist

Matt Crooks.   No25.  Was pleased to see him depart the field.

Did not know who he was, but having had a look this evening is a forward/midfielder and aged 29 seemed to have played a lot in the lower leagues of the EFL. Valued around 1.5 M. 

Good touch, mobile and pacy and a handful all day… a couple times showed really good touches in front of the Dolman. A bit similar to Cornick..  shows they are out there without spending mega bucks

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, DownendRed97 said:

Been a pest for years, always seems to score against us! Clever player indeed. Was impressed with their no 7, Hackney too, can see why he’s highly rated. 

Was not aware of that…seemed to have played likes of Rotherham and Accrington. (Wiki)…he reminded me of Sims now at Coventry..

Edited by DT The Optimist

15 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Did not know who he was, but having had a look this evening is a forward/midfielder and aged 29 seemed to have played a lot in the lower leagues of the EFL. Valued around 1.5 M. 

Good touch, mobile and pacy and a handful all day… a couple times showed really good touches in front of the Dolman. A bit similar to Cornick..  shows they are out there without spending mega bucks

If I remember correctly like others have said always causing us problems , came through the united ranks I believe

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I quite liked their number 7, looked like a poor man's Scott at times, we forced him quite deep towards the end which was a good thing.

Hackney was their 7 and who was very influential - Their 9 Latte Lath was also very slippery and difficult to mark. Easy to see why Boro were in good form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DownendRed97 said:

Been a pest for years, always seems to score against us! Clever player indeed. Was impressed with their no 7, Hackney too, can see why he’s highly rated. 

Yep, a lower league Fellaini (the hair helps the comparison).  His positional play was superb today, very clever.

Him, Dan Barlaser (now Boro too, came on as sub), Michael Smith, Ben Wiles and Viktor Johansen were all players I thought would make good signings, with a slight concern that they might just be made for Rotherham’s style at the time.  Crooks disproved that.

+++++

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I quite liked their number 7, looked like a poor man's Scott at times, we forced him quite deep towards the end which was a good thing.

Hackney was close to winning the Chanpionshio YPOTY last season, only a tinsy-windy bit poorer man’s Alex! 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I'm pretty sure he started off as a tall gangly centre back for Rotherham was surprised to see him in the attacking midfield position spraying passes all over the place he was decent 

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hackney was close to winning the Chanpionshio YPOTY last season, only a tinsy-windy bit poorer man’s Alex! 😉

17 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

That's Hackney he's highly rated over at boro 

Thank you both for exposing my complete lack of knowledge of opposition players, particularly young ones. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Honest question is how do you know his value because he was pretty decent and you wouldn’t be able to snap him up for 1.5 in 2 years time let alone in January,is this some stupid football game estimate or what because I’m baffled 

10 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Surprised you weren’t aware of him. He’s scored something like 5 goals in 7 games against us now, playing for Rotherham and Boro. The new David Kelly! 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Honest question is how do you know his value because he was pretty decent and you wouldn’t be able to snap him up for 1.5 in 2 years time let alone in January,is this some stupid football game estimate or what because I’m baffled 

Sold for £1.3M 2021 Rotherham to Boro…before that a few £150k type transfers, Northampton to Rotherham etc..£1.5 estimated value on some transfer web site.  
A player of Crooks calibre, strengh, size, touch pace and power…transform our forward line.. wishful thinking 🤔 

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Sold for £1.3M 2021 Rotherham to Boro…before that a few £150k type transfers, Northampton to Rotherham etc..£1.5 estimated value on some transfer web site.  
A player of Crooks calibre, strengh, size, touch pace and power…transform our forward line.. wishful thinking 🤔 

But that’s what is really frustrating about sitting on “the nest egg”. Clearly we need an experienced striker who is going to score goals. At present that doesn’t really sound like any of Conway, Cornick, Wells, or Weimann, and generally we have been dependent on others from either midfield or defence chipping in to the relatively few goals we have scored.

Player for player, Boro looked better than us both on and off the ball, which goes back to that question of do we really have a “Top 6 squad”? (Clue: the answer isn’t “yes”).. I am sure Boro will say they were unlucky to fall 2-0 behind at half time to a great strike and a penalty. Second half they looked far more capable and again undone by a great finish from Sykes from a Van Basten like angle (only a lot closer).

20 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Was really impressed with him too ! Good touch and movement for a big guy ! 

34 minutes ago, tin said:

With a liability like Dael Fry at CB, it’s not that amazing they lost IMO. I struggle to recall a worse CB performance at this level. 

Lucky not to get a second yellow for the foul on James, bet he would’ve had he not been on a yellow.

He was highly rated, but I’ve not ever thought he was that special.

Kevin Long for Brum last season at AG took some beating!

• Like 3