IGNORED

Dissapointed

redkev

I know it’s still quite early in the season but 3 players have really disappointed me so far this season

Bell - sorry just can’t see the love him for him , if he wasn’t a local lad with a bit of a legend as a dad I think he would get a much less comfortable ride , for me he just doesn’t get on the ball enough or do enough to get on the ball 

Tanner - just seems far to safe for me , doesn’t seem to add much to the team , seems to of gone backwards imo, can’t knock his commitment just think he is lacking confidence in his own ability

Pring - slightly harsh by me but on lasts years great displays personally I don’t think he has been quite dynamic going forward and has been not as as sharp defensively 

I could add Tommy to this list but the lad had a great season last year and has been out injured so will give him more time 

anybody else agree or have there own assessments 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2

Think that’s a bit harsh.

Not sure I expected Bell to ever be an automatic choice & think he’s done ok overall this season, starting it with a few goals but a little bit out of form at present.

Tanner is a defender, that’s it. He isn’t going to play defence splitting passes or break forward regularly but for £300k I reckon we have got ourselves a steady player.

Thought Pring did ok today against a decent opponent & he’s certainly going to be ahead of Roberts as our first choice left back even when the latter is fit. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure I expected Bell to ever be an automatic choice & think he’s done ok overall this season, starting it with a few goals but a little bit out of form at present.

Tanner is a defender, that’s it. He isn’t going to play defence splitting passes or break forward regularly but for £300k I reckon we have got ourselves a steady player.

Thought Pring did ok today against a decent opponent & he’s certainly going to be ahead of Roberts as our first choice left back even when the latter is fit. 

Agree with what your saying but I still ( my thoughts ) I would of expected a little more from those three , not knocking them as I know there is deffo a performance & commitment in there from all 3 

• Like 1

I think the original poster is highlighting the room for improvement. These lads are still young , relatively inexperienced and are going to to lack the consistency that more seasoned pros can show. 
I would love to see these players kicking on and I am sure they will. We just need to accept that they aren’t the finished article just yet and give them the support they deserve. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That would be Bell (21) our top scorer, and England u20 player, Tanner (24) who cost pennies but has to be flogged because of lack of funding, and Pring (25), another academy graduate, one of our players of the year last year. Ho hum. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, redkev said:

I know it’s still quite early in the season but 3 players have really disappointed me so far this season

Bell - sorry just can’t see the love him for him , if he wasn’t a local lad with a bit of a legend as a dad I think he would get a much less comfortable ride , for me he just doesn’t get on the ball enough or do enough to get on the ball 

Well influential and experienced people in the England set up disagree with you. I thought he looked more effective playing a little deeper today, but he wil need to learn that role.

Tanner - just seems far to safe for me , doesn’t seem to add much to the team , seems to of gone backwards imo, can’t knock his commitment just think he is lacking confidence in his own ability

George plays too narrow for my liking, but the new man has him playing that way too so I am obviously missing something. He was excellent today, and I thought he was the defender that handled Boro's press the best.

Pring - slightly harsh by me but on lasts years great displays personally I don’t think he has been quite dynamic going forward and has been not as as sharp defensively 

Pring has started the season in patchy form but was better today and I think that was partly due to Bell playing deeper (see above), and giving him space to attack.

I could add Tommy to this list but the lad had a great season last year and has been out injured so will give him more time 

Generally younger players have greater fluctuations in their form, and changes of circumstance effect them more. I think they will all kick on.

Thoughts above.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, redkev said:

I understand where you are coming from but...

Bell is 21 and has had a big impact up to recently, he's just a bit off form at the moment imo.

Tanner is a defender first and foremost (and a good one as well), getting forward is a bit alien to him I suspect. But plenty of teams play a lop sided formation with one defensive full back and another who bombs forward.

Pring had a rare off day today, nothing he tried came off, one of those games.

As for Conway, like Bell he's going through a dip in form, but the quality is there and will shine through in time.

22 minutes ago, redkev said:

I think a lot of it is about expectations.

Maybe they were unreasonable. Especially for young players. Maybe we’ve been spoilt by Semenyo and Scott.

But I do agree that all three haven’t really lived up to the expectations that I (and by the sound of it, you) had of them this season. End of last season we were talking about Cam Pring as another potential big money departure. He hasn’t looked like that this season.

As I say, maybe unreasonable. And not every young player reaches their potential in a linear upward progression. And on the other hand Inthink we should be encouraged by Manning’s stated emphasis on coaching and working with players to improve them…he’s got talent to work with there. 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Thoughts above.

No problem with your opinions port , this is a forum where we debate things and have difference of opinions and I respect what you have said against some of the things I have said , don’t get me wrong the players in question have not been horrendous by any means just on previous performances last season I personally thought we might have seen a bit more from them ,

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

I think a lot of it is about expectations.

Maybe they were unreasonable. Especially for young players. Maybe we’ve been spoilt by Semenyo and Scott.

But I do agree that all three haven’t really lived up to the expectations that I (and by the sound of it, you) had of them this season. End of last season we were talking about Cam Pring as another potential big money departure. He hasn’t looked like that this season.

As I say, maybe unreasonable. And not every young player reaches their potential in a linear upward progression. And on the other hand Inthink we should be encouraged by Manning’s stated emphasis on coaching and working with players to improve them…he’s got talent to work with there. 

My thoughts exactly 👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, redkev said:

Agree with what your saying but I still ( my thoughts ) I would of expected a little more from those three , not knocking them as I know there is deffo a performance & commitment in there from all 3 

Was thinking the same perhaps they set high standards last season  thinking big clubs would come knocking but not on this seasons performances.

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That would be Bell (21) our top scorer, and England u20 player, Tanner (24) who cost pennies but has to be flogged because of lack of funding, and Pring (25), another academy graduate, one of our players of the year last year. Ho hum. 

Also re Tanner those of us who sit together were discussing a while ago how very few players have jumped straight up from League Two & looked comfortable.

The only one we could think of apart from him was Albert, who was exceptional, basically he came in to the side & was our main attacking threat right from the start.

Tanner has already made 50 appearances for us, is 24 & cost just £300k.

Along with Mark Sykes two excellent value for money signings of recent times.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, redkev said:

No problem with your opinions port , this is a forum where we debate things and have difference of opinions and I respect what you have said against some of the things I have said , don’t get me wrong the players in question have not been horrendous by any means just on previous performances last season I personally thought we might have seen a bit more from them ,

My thoughts exactly 👍

Maybe the new methods and a fresh approach is what will get them back on track?

• Like 2

Bells the one for me of the three you mention, and I do think there is some (natural) bias in wanting him to do well because of Mickey. I don’t put major stock in him being England U20 - plenty drop off from there not to make it at this level.

When I watch Sam, and this may be instructions, he seems very naive positionally (and this may come with experience). Cams relative struggles this season have I think in part been due to lack of support from his wide man, often Sam. I’m not sure as yet what he is - I don’t think he’s a wide forward, but also he isn’t as yet strong enough to be in the centre. 

Theres something there but it’s raw, and I hold no major confidence it’ll develop into a career at a sustained basis at this level or above. If I had to put money on it, I’m still (just) on the side that he’ll be playing L1/L2 in 5 years but he has enough not to do so 

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bells the one for me of the three you mention, and I do think there is some (natural) bias in wanting him to do well because of Mickey. I don’t put major stock in him being England U20 - plenty drop off from there not to make it at this level.

When so watch Sam, and this may be instructions, he seems very naive positionally (and this may come with experience). Cams relative struggles this season have I think in part been due to lack of support from his wide man, often Sam. I’m not sure as yet what he is - I don’t think he’s a wide forward, but also he isn’t as yet strong enough to be in the centre. 

Theres something there but it’s raw, and I hold no major confidence it’ll develop into a career at a sustained basis at this level or above. If I had to put money on it, I’m still (just) on the side that he’ll be playing L1/L2 in 5 years but he has enough not to do so 

You’d put money on him playing in League Two in 5 years time??!!!! I’ll take your money on that not being the case please. What odds are on offer?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

You’d put money on him playing in League Two in 5 years time??!!!! I’ll take your money on that not being the case please. What odds are on offer?

L1/L2 mate.

Ulimately it’s one division where he’s playing now. He’s impacting, what, one in three games at this level. He’s not nailed down what he really is (is he a winger? a striker? a number 10? a right back). He needs to nail down a position and then perform consistently there in the next 18 months to two years (and I reiterate he has potential to do so). But he isn’t a sure thing at this level from form to date. 

• Like 1

Bell has been below average this season.

Tanner isn't confident enough on the ball, but aside from that pretty solid defensively.

Pring has been ok. Nothing special, but set a high bar last season.

I haven't been impressed with Conway's performances since Rotherham away either and I think Cornick is better suited to playing the lone striker role. Conway is better in a two.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I couldn’t give a monkeys about how old they are or if there academy or how much they cost that’s not what I was saying I am just a tad dissapointed in how they have kicked on giving there performances last year 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, redkev said:

So you have nailed 2 young lads to the wall there who let’s be honest wouldn’t be asked to start in any other top squad,as for pring i slightly agree it seems he has gone backwards in development 

23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Bell has been below average this season.

Tanner isn't confident enough on the ball, but aside from that pretty solid defensively.

Pring has been ok. Nothing special, but set a high bar last season.

I haven't been impressed with Conway's performances since Rotherham away either and I think Cornick is better suited to playing the lone striker role. Conway is better in a two.

Pring isn’t a young lad so let’s not class them in the same ballpark please  

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So you have nailed 2 young lads to the wall there who let’s be honest wouldn’t be asked to start in any other top squad,as for pring i slightly agree it seems he has gone backwards in development 

Nailed WOW , slightly over the top I said I was dissapointed that they haven’t kicked on from what I witnessed last year 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Also re Tanner those of us who sit together were discussing a while ago how very few players have jumped straight up from League Two & looked comfortable.

The only one we could think of apart from him was Albert, who was exceptional, basically he came in to the side & was our main attacking threat right from the start.

Tanner has already made 50 appearances for us, is 24 & cost just £300k.

Along with Mark Sykes two excellent value for money signings of recent times.

Excellent point 

6 minutes ago, redkev said:

Nailed WOW , slightly over the top I said I was dissapointed that they haven’t kicked on from what I witnessed last year 

Wow is more over the top I would say,who talks like that apart from you obviously,this is isn’t a reality show be yourself 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Oasis,do I get 10 points 

Can you show me where I said you said he was 

You said I was classing Pring in the same ball park because he is no longer a young lad. I wasn't doing that, I was simply responding to the OP about Pring, Bell and Tanner which from my end had nothing to do with their ages.