IGNORED

Mehmeti

REDOXO

There is a player in there certainly. Time is still on his side age wise.

A confident and up for it Mehmeti pushing Bell may also being a bit more out of Bell too. Albeit Bell is one of our top scorers, still young, growing as a player etc but in other areas..two pushing each other down the line could only be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Feral Williams said:

Confidence player. No disrespects to Nige but he looked on it with his cameo at the end. If Liam get’s a tune out of Anis then we’re laughing 

But to provide some balance he did put in these sort of cameos. Not of late granted. But today he had no end product just like in his previous cameos. If I'm being ultra critical instead of running the ball into the corner and using his skills to protect the ball and waste time, he instead was trying to force something.

He'd put the ball I to the box with us having 1 player in the box and we'd lose possession. That could lead to a goal and the other end. 

Nige has a style where he is prepared to leave players out for their own development. He did it with Vardy, Kane and Atkinson and I'm sure many more along the way and I felt that's what he was doing with Anis. 

Manning may have a different way of getting the best out of him and that's cool too. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Feral Williams said:

Confidence player. No disrespects to Nige but he looked on it with his cameo at the end. If Liam get’s a tune out of Anis then we’re laughing 

There are players who didn't really take to NP and those who really didn't take to him at all. Mehmeti is the latter as since NP's sacking he's shown more energy and aggression, almost like the first couple of games he was here.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

There are players who didn't really take to NP and those who really didn't take to him at all. Mehmeti is the latter as since NP's sacking he's shown more energy and aggression, almost like the first couple of games he was here.

That’s not a good sign then at all and those players should be gotten rid of,if mehmeti was consistently shit under Pearson because he didn’t like him then he will do it again 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 2

Decision making again for me. 

Two or three times the ball was with Anis and instead of going to the corner and eating up precious time he went towards goal or played a low percentage chance of success cross. That isn’t to say he wasn’t exciting and didn’t attack well generally when he came on - and it was levels above QPR - but he needs to learn to manage a game. There was one incident where Joe Williams did a fantastic win and played it to him in the corner in stoppage time. Hold the ball there, don’t play a quick low cross to the keeper that allows the break. 

If he plays like that minutes 1-85 no objections. But he needs to play the situation, not the instinct all the time.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Hopefully I spelled that right!

He played very well when he came on and looked a real threat. Also did a bit of defensive donkey work. 

This bloke, I’m hoping, will have a bit of renaissance under Manning. 

Fingers crossed 

I thought so too. He really is a confidence player isn’t he. He was growing into the game minute by minute. I’d actually be tempted to start him on Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Two or three times the ball was with Anis and instead of going to the corner and eating up precious time he went towards goal or played a low percentage chance of success cross. That isn’t to say he wasn’t exciting and didn’t attack well generally when he came on - and it was levels above QPR - but he needs to learn to manage a game. There was one incident where Joe Williams did a fantastic win and played it to him in the corner in stoppage time. Hold the ball there, don’t play a quick low cross to the keeper that allows the break. 

If he plays like that minutes 1-85 no objections. But he needs to play the situation, not the instinct all the time.

I’m sure you’re right about his decision making but does ‘keeping the ball in the corner’ usually work for eating up time? Im sure if Messi does it he can keep it there for ages but seems to me that ordinary footballers very quickly concede a goal kick which give the other team a chance to pump the ball back down the other end.  Yesterday Mehmetti attacked and kept them on the back foot, won a corner too I think? That eats up more time.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sephjnr said:

And your Source , claiming something that’s never been claimed here or anywhere else , media etc

I’ll call complete b******t

• Like 3

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Hopefully I spelled that right!

He played very well when he came on and looked a real threat. Also did a bit of defensive donkey work. 

This bloke, I’m hoping, will have a bit of renaissance under Manning. 

Fingers crossed 

“A bit of defensive donkey work”.

Lost his man completely at a corner, didn’t switch on & was little help to Pring most of the time.

Once he had the run & shot then he completely changed, but defensively he’s still a bit of a liability.

Totally get the confidence player bit but has to do more when we don’t have the ball or are defending.

This is down to him, not Manning or Pearson.

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lost his man completely at a corner, didn’t switch on & was little help to Pring most of the time.

Once he had the run & shot then he completely changed, but defensively he’s still a bit of a liability.

Totally get the confidence player bit but has to do more when we don’t have the ball or are defending.

Yes I didn’t say he was any good at it! But he was getting back doing the work that was lacking before which I suggest is the beginning of him realizing more what his role is out of possession 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Please stop presenting opinions as facts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Meh, I've never been a fan of taking the ball to the corner to use up time. I mean, how many times have we seen a City player attempt to do so, and end up giving away a goal kick within seconds. I was actually willing him to turn towards goal, rather than make for the corner.

He's the type of player that likes to attack and entertain, I don't think we should coach that out of him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But to provide some balance he did put in these sort of cameos. Not of late granted. But today he had no end product just like in his previous cameos. If I'm being ultra critical instead of running the ball into the corner and using his skills to protect the ball and waste time, he instead was trying to force something.

He'd put the ball I to the box with us having 1 player in the box and we'd lose possession. That could lead to a goal and the other end. 

Nige has a style where he is prepared to leave players out for their own development. He did it with Vardy, Kane and Atkinson and I'm sure many more along the way and I felt that's what he was doing with Anis. 

Manning may have a different way of getting the best out of him and that's cool too. 

I had exactly the same thought when he went on that run towards the end. As well as visions of Cam Pring at Preston!

Having said that, I’m with @elhombrecito in feeling that we are consistently crap at trying to keep the ball in that way (and it’s certainly not Mehmeti’s forte) and we probably succeed in wasting just as much time by heading for goal and blasting it into the stand!

I also agree with you that it’s not as simple as ‘good under LM, bad under NP’. QPR wasn’t good. Conversely, he looked good at Cardiff.

Personally, I think he looks better when he’s not told to hug the touchline and when he’s given more flexibility to move into a more central role. I’m really hopeful that, given that greater flexibility, and the coaching he’ll get from LM, that we might still see the best of him. 

• Like 1

Having lost 1st Semenyo & then Scott, we have looked somewhat pedestrian & predictable this season. Whilst everyone needs to do their bit defensively, a player with a bit of x factor about them is good to see & gives the oppo something different to worry about.

It might have been Ainsworth, but I'm sure someone said that Mehmeti had loads of ability but had also worked incredibly hard on his "out of possession game". He obvs needs to take that up a level in the Championship but hopefully he cam do.

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I had exactly the same thought when he went on that run towards the end. As well as visions of Cam Pring at Preston!

Having said that, I’m with @elhombrecito in feeling that we are consistently crap at trying to keep the ball in that way (and it’s certainly not Mehmeti’s forte) and we probably succeed in wasting just as much time by heading for goal and blasting it into the stand!

I also agree with you that it’s not as simple as ‘good under LM, bad under NP’. QPR wasn’t good. Conversely, he looked good at Cardiff.

Personally, I think he looks better when he’s not told to hug the touchline and when he’s given more flexibility to move into a more central role. I’m really hopeful that, given that greater flexibility, and the coaching he’ll get from LM, that we might still see the best of him. 

Brilliant summary ID imho.

We’ve seen a mixed bag from Mehmeti in recent games, regardless of manager, whether he’s starting or sub, across the whole performance, or in bits and pieces.  That’s Anis as it currently stands.

I’m still amazed that fans trot out the “doesn’t get on with the manager” stuff.  It’s not exactly new news that players playing generally are favourable to the bloke picking the team, and those not getting game-time are less favourable.  Happens in every club, even amateur level.  Why people have to make stuff up though?  We do know from people on the inside that Nige was popular with his players.  Not every single one I’m sure, but LM recognises how tight a group they are, how good the culture is etc.

Back to Anis positionally, I agree, needs to roam off an inside position.  That was where he first came to my attention.  I wasn’t as hot on him at Wycombe as others, but I do think he will turn out to be a decent signing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This. His counter attack where he was one on one with someone for the whole time and still just blasted the ball straight at Dieng, saved him from another poor cameo imo. First 5 minutes he got caught out 2 or 3 times, left Pring exposed and I’d bet counted toward Pring’s yellow too. On another day, him launching those two crosses into the box on 90+ minutes could’ve cost us. 

I get fans like him because he’s, on the face of it, ‘exciting’, but he’s been awful this season and anyone who really wants him to start ahead of Bell needs a head wobble. 

He’s a real frustration, but if he can alter his game a bit he’ll be a real asset for us. 

• Like 2

I think part of the problem on the left is that CP has failed to reach the exceptional levels of last season which means who ever is playing infront has more defensive duties to think of. I would like to see Mehmeti behind Conway in a free creative roll without the defensive responsibilities as undoubtedly with ball at feet he is exactly what defenders hate.

9 hours ago, sephjnr said:

That might be the case, personality wise he seems a bit of an "outlier" among Pearson's preferred players and signings, but he does seem very driven and keen to succeed in his own way.

I think it's more to do with Manning making it known how much he rates him and was looking at taking him on loan if he had still been at Oxford in January. I think Anis will benefit hugely from knowing that the Manager has belief in him.

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

This. His counter attack where he was one on one with someone for the whole time and still just blasted the ball straight at Dieng, saved him from another poor cameo imo. First 5 minutes he got caught out 2 or 3 times, left Pring exposed and I’d bet counted toward Pring’s yellow too. On another day, him launching those two crosses into the box on 90+ minutes could’ve cost us. 

I get fans like him because he’s, on the face of it, ‘exciting’, but he’s been awful this season and anyone who really wants him to start ahead of Bell needs a head wobble. 

He’s a real frustration, but if he can alter his game a bit he’ll be a real asset for us. 

Agree on his defensive side was terrible & was screaming at him to track his runner as he was just letting him go.  As for the comment about give your head a wobble if anyone wants to start him over Bell then I’m not sure what Bell has brought to the team in the last 4/5 games.  I thought he was a passenger again yesterday and offers little in an attacking or defensive sense.  I get he’s our top scorer but imo hasn’t played well for weeks & Anis at least offered something going forward. I would have no issue with Anis starting ahead of Bell but not sure either is the long term answer. 

• Like 2