IGNORED

Realism

robinforlife2

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

I am quite surprised having read a number of the threads overnight. 

People seem to be moaning about what they think was a poor display. Having watched the game last night, we more than matched Southampton, a team who will be one of the favs to go straight back up, for all of the first half, if anything we were on top, such to that, the St Mary's Crowd booed their team at half time.

I've read about players being singled out, and people saying the football is poor under Manning. I think these people must have watched a different game to me.

In the first half, we played on the counter and pressed them, we had a couple of great chances, one denied by a quality save. We had Southampton, somewhat, on the ropes.

The second half, Southampton came out all guns blazing and a world class strike put them in front. I thought we then battled hard. The loss of Naismith, one of our better players in the game was a huge blow, but I saw plenty to like about the way we moved the ball.

It's fair to say, we did't afford them any cruising period and defended well and prevented any serious attack from Southampton. In the final 15 minutes, despite leaving ourselves somewhat exposed, we pressed and had a couple of fair chances to get back level. Perhaps the most telling was Cornick going 5 yards to far, rather than crossing in for Mehmati who would have been one on one and instead, trying to get that extra yard and getting tackled. I thought Tanner, and TGH put some great passes in, linked up play well, and on the break we had Southampton exposed. Mehmeti was problematic on the ball for them, and Cornick was not afraid to get stuck in. Perhaps the biggest problem was, despite their movement and helping us break forward, there was a lack of end product. I have said on multiple occasions, we are really missing Nahki Wells, a player who cause es defenders nightmares, and is very unselfish, and that was telling tonight. 

But we weren't bad, yes we were wasteful, but we deserved at least a draw from the game. We limited a team who had on average scored over 2 goals a game this season, to pot shots and but for a wonder goal, would have gone home with a point.

People are saying that we need to be doing better to be top 6, top 10 etc, but it still remains we are 5pts off the playoffs, with a number of injuries, and a team just learning what a new manager wants. Those who are still missing Nige, seem to find fault in everything, just because Nige isn't here. But the fact is, we had looked pretty soft and poor up top, under Nige, so whilst I get some people may say little has changed, I would actually say, what we have seen in the last three games from Tanner, TGH and Mehmeti, has been a vast improvement from what we've seen earlier in the campaign. 

We are clearly lacking an in form fox in the box, but as soon as it's back to Wells, Sykes and Conway leading the line, with Bell, Mehmeti and Cornick in reserves, we won't struggle for creating chances, as there are multiple formations which work. What we are lacking is leadership on the pitch, and I think a lot a lot of that comes in missing Wells, maybe Matty James and Knight need to work harder in my opinion, but the makings are there.

I am not sure the answer is more forward players in January. We have 6 already, and whilst injuries have limited us, I would rather see a sensible back up keeper, and possibly one more cover at the back. 

It was not a bad performance, and we were unfortunate, wasteful if you like, but Southampton have a lot of quality we don't have, and with our new model, we are going to have to work with what we got. I don't think top ten is impossible and on another night we could have gone in half time 1-0 up and probably ground out a win.

The result, did not reflect how well we played and I feel people are just looking for faults and picking at things, because they are unhappy with the last month and how "their messiah" was replaced. He's gone, move on, we weren't as bad as people are making out, and whilst Manning wouldn't have been my first choice, I am encouraged by the early signs. 

I was there too last night and agree with your assessment of the game, why you have to then spoil it with a rant about fans being aggrieved that NP has gone and your use the word Messiah demeans the rest of your post imo.

As for the improvements in the three players you mentioned since early season, you conveniently forget that Tanner was out injured for the early part of the season and TGH was covering at RB. Obviously once they returned to their natural positions and TGH got up to speed playing in midfield they improved (although Tanner still looks as good as he did last year, no great improvement). As for Mehmeti he looks no better now than he did in his cameo sub appearances under the 'Messiah.'

• Like 8

People seem to be moaning about what they think was a poor display. Having watched the game last night, we more than matched Southampton, a team who will be one of the favs to go straight back up, for all of the first half, if anything we were on top, such to that, the St Mary's Crowd booed their team at half time.

I've read about players being singled out, and people saying the football is poor under Manning. I think these people must have watched a different game to me.

In the first half, we played on the counter and pressed them, we had a couple of great chances, one denied by a quality save. We had Southampton, somewhat, on the ropes.

The second half, Southampton came out all guns blazing and a world class strike put them in front. I thought we then battled hard. The loss of Naismith, one of our better players in the game was a huge blow, but I saw plenty to like about the way we moved the ball.

It's fair to say, we did't afford them any cruising period and defended well and prevented any serious attack from Southampton. In the final 15 minutes, despite leaving ourselves somewhat exposed, we pressed and had a couple of fair chances to get back level. Perhaps the most telling was Cornick going 5 yards to far, rather than crossing in for Mehmati who would have been one on one and instead, trying to get that extra yard and getting tackled. I thought Tanner, and TGH put some great passes in, linked up play well, and on the break we had Southampton exposed. Mehmeti was problematic on the ball for them, and Cornick was not afraid to get stuck in. Perhaps the biggest problem was, despite their movement and helping us break forward, there was a lack of end product. I have said on multiple occasions, we are really missing Nahki Wells, a player who cause es defenders nightmares, and is very unselfish, and that was telling tonight. 

But we weren't bad, yes we were wasteful, but we deserved at least a draw from the game. We limited a team who had on average scored over 2 goals a game this season, to pot shots and but for a wonder goal, would have gone home with a point.

People are saying that we need to be doing better to be top 6, top 10 etc, but it still remains we are 5pts off the playoffs, with a number of injuries, and a team just learning what a new manager wants. Those who are still missing Nige, seem to find fault in everything, just because Nige isn't here. But the fact is, we had looked pretty soft and poor up top, under Nige, so whilst I get some people may say little has changed, I would actually say, what we have seen in the last three games from Tanner, TGH and Mehmeti, has been a vast improvement from what we've seen earlier in the campaign. 

We are clearly lacking an in form fox in the box, but as soon as it's back to Wells, Sykes and Conway leading the line, with Bell, Mehmeti and Cornick in reserves, we won't struggle for creating chances, as there are multiple formations which work. What we are lacking is leadership on the pitch, and I think a lot a lot of that comes in missing Wells, maybe Matty James and Knight need to work harder in my opinion, but the makings are there.

I am not sure the answer is more forward players in January. We have 6 already, and whilst injuries have limited us, I would rather see a sensible back up keeper, and possibly one more cover at the back. 

It was not a bad performance, and we were unfortunate, wasteful if you like, but Southampton have a lot of quality we don't have, and with our new model, we are going to have to work with what we got. I don't think top ten is impossible and on another night we could have gone in half time 1-0 up and probably ground out a win.

The result, did not reflect how well we played and I feel people are just looking for faults and picking at things, because they are unhappy with the last month and how "their messiah" was replaced. He's gone, move on, we weren't as bad as people are making out, and whilst Manning wouldn't have been my first choice, I am encouraged by the early signs. 

Ummm not sure how you can say we moved the ball well 2nd half 🤔  both half's were like chalk and cheese we completely dropped off 2nd half and allowed the saints to impose there game on us all our passes went back to panicked rushed passes we completely lost our heads after the goal went in. People keep bringing up Wells he is 33 years old and doesn't score anywhere near enough goals if that's the best this football club can do then we may aswell pack up and go home.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

The amount of people that seem to be waiting for him to fail is a joke, it's bordering on hoping he fails to prove a point.

• Like 6

Good post. But my concern is we have the quantity of forward players but seem to lack the quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mason said:

Wells is past his sell by date, talisman proven striker required and Scotts replacement...a midfield general and leader;

Simple really NP wasnt given the funds to buy in these 2 key areas if Manning isnt either we are going no-where.

No more of this for the future bogguts we have no future if funds are not released.

Spot on this !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I was there too last night and agree with your assessment of the game, why you have to then spoil it with a rant about fans being aggrieved that NP has gone and your use the word Messiah demeans the rest of your post imo.

As for the improvements in the three players you mentioned since early season, you conveniently forget that Tanner was out injured for the early part of the season and TGH was covering at RB. Obviously once they returned to their natural positions and TGH got up to speed playing in midfield they improved (although Tanner still looks as good as he did last year, no great improvement). As for Mehmeti he looks no better now than he did in his cameo sub appearances under the 'Messiah.'

It’s pathetic that people need to try to resort to digs at the old manager to be positive about the new one.

The performance last night was good but had parallels - good and bad - to numerous other away games this season, including Leeds, our last game at a relegated team. We competed and were tough to concede against last night but we competed and were tough to concede against under Pearson too.

What remains to be seen is whether we can perform better at the start of halves and whether we can make better decisions at both ends of the pitch. Those are the challenges Pearson would have faced if he stayed and the same ones Manning faces now.

FWIW I quite like some of the little tweaks Manning has made to make us more fluid and flexible during games but time will tell if they translate into results. 

• Like 4

It was not a bad performance.

It was a typical Bristol City performance of this season, based on the ability of the squad we have / have available.  Full of endeavour, sticking in a game, working hard, having the odd good spell - we have more good spells against the poorer teams, less against the better teams.  I honestly don’t think Southampton were on the ropes.  If I second guess you and refer to the period of the game where we fashioned our chances, Conway, Sykes, Conway….Southampton created chances, more chances in that period than us.

It is possible to highlight positive things (as you’ve done), and it’s possible to highlight negative things (as others have done).  The performance contained both.

I see a couple of differences in “tactics”, but I don’t think they are necessarily leading to the Eureka moments some are making out.

LM looks like he’s a good fit to continue Nige’s work.  It will be a bit different, but so far it appears to be pretty similar.

All imho.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

The amount of people that seem to be waiting for him to fail is a joke, it's bordering on hoping he fails to prove a point.

No, they aren’t, they’re tempering caution (at worst) of people getting over-excited because we won a game on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It’s pathetic that people need to try to resort to digs at the old manager to be positive about the new one.

The performance last night was good but had parallels - good and bad - to numerous other away games this season, including Leeds, our last game at a relegated team. We competed and were tough to concede against last night but we competed and were tough to concede against under Pearson too.

What remains to be seen is whether we can perform better at the start of halves and whether we can make better decisions at both ends of the pitch. Those are the challenges Pearson would have faced if he stayed and the same ones Manning faces now.

FWIW I quite like some of the little tweaks Manning has made to make us more fluid and flexible during games but time will tell if they translate into results. 

Yep, all of that, especially first sentence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's quite pathetic to resort to digs at our new manager to try to be positive about the old one (in my opinion)

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

LM looks like he’s a good fit to continue Nige’s work.

Exactly my feelings.
I have listened to some of Mannings interviews since he joined us and there are a lot of similarities to Pearson. Phrases , ideas and plans that Nige mentioned over his time have popped up in Liam's interviews. 
I said elsewhere, Pearson had been trying to get us to be more possession based, it has improved slightly , but it had be a slow , tough process. Maybe a few new voices and slightly different ideas may speed up things . I thought there were signs first half that a change is possible , 2nd half was back to what we have watched at times under NP , Holden and LJ. 
I actually think we have looked more threatening the last couple of games , and against good sides. Small sample size I know and it's early , but I do think there is room for optimism . 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

It's quite pathetic to resort to digs at our new manager to try to be positive about the old one (in my opinion)

Yes - I don’t really see any need for any sort of ‘manager wars’ and any frustration around the manner of Pearson’s departure should be channeled toward the board, Chair and Technical Director.

However the griping towards Pearson irks me more for four reasons:

1. He isn’t the manager anymore. I can see why people feel a need to critique the current manager far more than the last one.

2. Pearson currently has a health condition that is clearly impacting massively on his quality of life and likely contributed to his departure.
Why kick him when he’s down? 

3. Whilst I totally respect that there is a valid debate as to whether Pearson was getting the best out of the team, I don’t see how anyone could reasonably dispute that he took over when we were at a low ebb, steered the club through a tough financial period and aided the development of players who are born playing a role in the first team and who have played a role in securing our financial future. Why take pot shots at someone who clearly gave his all for the club and left us in a better position than he started?

Manning has only been here a few weeks and it is early days but, if he can build on the platform Pearson left then they will be very good news indeed. But Pearson still will deserve credit for leaving a much better platform for the next manager to start from than the one he himself inherited and, for me, that’s the main thing you can ask for from any manager.

But - even as I write all this - I’m still frustrated that I have done it because yet another poster has decided to unnecessarily make a thread an unnecessary Pearson v Manning debate. Pearson did well. Hopefully Manning will do even better.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Southampton drew with Huddersfield at the weekend. 

We were good first half. Conceded again after half time and we're then quite poor. 

I don't understand why you feel the need to try and create controversy with your post. Seems to be a few of you doing this at the moment. Let it go, move on. 

• Like 1

Having watched on Robin's TV we should have taken one of the chances in the first half and 1-1 would have been a fair result. At least the goal we conceded was down to their good play rather than a gift like we've given away in other games. The only disappointment was that we didn't go all out attack in the last ten minutes, we have to be prepared to gamble if we're losing late in the game.

If we beat Norwich then 6 points from those 3 games would be a decent return.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It was a typical Bristol City performance of this season, based on the ability of the squad we have / have available.  Full of endeavour, sticking in a game, working hard, having the odd good spell - we have more good spells against the poorer teams, less against the better teams.  I honestly don’t think Southampton were on the ropes.  If I second guess you and refer to the period of the game where we fashioned our chances, Conway, Sykes, Conway….Southampton created chances, more chances in that period than us.

It is possible to highlight positive things (as you’ve done), and it’s possible to highlight negative things (as others have done).  The performance contained both.

I see a couple of differences in “tactics”, but I don’t think they are necessarily leading to the Eureka moments some are making out.

LM looks like he’s a good fit to continue Nige’s work.  It will be a bit different, but so far it appears to be pretty similar.

All imho.

Far too sensible, Dave, with not enough headline-catching observations.

Absolutely typical performance. We are 12th. We've beaten one team above us (they are 10th) and six teams below us. That's where we are. We don't have a play-off squad, despite what JL asserted. I was really disappointed with yesterday's second half - we were outplayed, or out-controlled - but it didn't surprise me.

I wouldn't have sacked NP, although his football was pretty dull to watch and bored me a lot of the time. I'm reasonably pragmatic though. I hope LM can makes us more interesting to watch (although I hope it won't be Martin-ball). That will take time. We don't have enough players at the moment who are really comfortable on the ball. 

Edited by firstdivision
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Yes, certainly positives,not all bad, whatever way you want to put it-

I'm with you that the spine of the team needs strengthening - clearly so... can't see it happening tho!!! - without doing so we are mid table or just below & that's a fact,despite any spin from Jon & Co.....talk of us as a top six squad is just laughable- not enough quality.

Really felt some of our players showed a clear lack of awareness/football intelligence last night (something that's difficult to teach) -With it we would have taken something from the game.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

All imho.

The question for me is whether the club 'ceiling' is now higher with Liam Manning at BCFC rather than Nige, and why?

I do think it’s a shame that there are fans who are not really prepared to give Manning a bit of time to implement his philosophies. However, I think this is squarely at the door of JL and BT. 
Most people I talk to aren’t overly bothered about Pearson leaving but are disappointed in HOW it was done. 
This influences thinking. 
If the club had been more honest about things then maybe the ‘Pearson-in’ group would be more understanding and allow Manning a little headroom. 
But the club have brought those opinions to their own door. 

For what it’s worth, I could see a few elements last night of us trying to play differently to how we did under Nige. 

Avid readers will recall I recently mentioned how Manning had Oxford set up - with a back 4 he had a right full back who held and a left full back who played high. 
I think we did something similar last night. We had 3 CB’s but it seemed Tanner was a traditional right back with Sykes playing more as a left wing back.

It gave a bit of a lop-sided effect, which I quite like. And to be fair we did defend pretty solidly. 

I also know that Manning in his previous jobs has liked a number 10. It seems he’s playing Knight a bit higher and off the ball he’s acting as a bit of a 2nd striker and pressing higher. That’s quite interesting. 

So, some things are being tweaked a little. However, ultimately I still think many of our players are poor at the basics. I’ve said before about simple passes either being underhit or overhit or being played 2 yards behind where it should be forcing the recipient to check back. We were guilty of it many times again last night. 
It’s a major fault of ours. 

The test for Manning is whether he can get this group of players to be able to play the basics better. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

So, some things are being tweaked a little. However, ultimately I still think many of our players are poor at the basics. I’ve said before about simple passes either being underhit or overhit or being played 2 yards behind where it should be forcing the recipient to check back. We were guilty of it many times again last night. 
It’s a major fault of ours. 

It is noticeable and shouldn't be as apparent as it is.

Also the body shape of some receiving the ball is dreadful, Knight in particular needs some coaching in this respect, it just results in miscontrolling the ball or taking an extra touch.

I'm hopeful that Manning can get these basics into the players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Also the body shape of some receiving the ball is dreadful, Knight in particular needs some coaching in this respect, it just results in miscontrolling the ball or taking an extra touch.

These are professional footballers and basic skills should come naturally to them as thy should with any professional player.

City gave the ball away several times last night and not always down to S’ton pressing - it was just sloppy play and it’s difficult to know how to address it.

I remember the same issue at AG against Brum when City could hardly make three consecutive passes so it’s not a new phenomenon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep. I’ve said before about Knight. 
I love the fact he brings energy, drive, commitment, press, blocks, tackles etc. 

But so far for me, all that superb off the ball and ‘behavioural’ stuff is offset by his lack of first touch and his carelessness of pass. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I love the fact he brings energy, drive, commitment, press, blocks, tackles etc. 

But so far for me, all that superb off the ball and ‘behavioural’ stuff is offset by his lack of first touch and his carelessness of pass. 

He reminds me of Gary Owers.

Chases around the pitch & has all the attributes you mention but his passing can be wayward to random.

At least twice last night he gave the ball away really very cheaply.

Few people on here used to wonder what Pearson saw in James, but he is our only midfielder who consistently finds a team mate with the ball & as his sublime pass to put TC through last night shows, it isn’t always square or backwards, either.

• Like 4

JL calling our squad “a top 6” squad multiple times in recent weeks has not done anything to help the start of LMs tenure. Really like the look of his style so far personally, and am looking forward to what he can do with some more time and a window or 2 under his belt but that’s the future. 

At present we have a midtable squad imo, and due to the youth of our squad I feel some have much higher expectations of certain players then they should, which ig is the downside on relying on academy talent so young. 

There is obviously the ability to perform higher then said “skill level” e.g Luton but to rely on that and still demand top 6 is ludicrous I think. 

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Few people on here used to wonder what Pearson saw in James, but he is our only midfielder who consistently finds a team mate with the ball & as his sublime pass to put TC through last night shows, it isn’t always square or backwards, either.

Naismith? Were he played in midfield I mean. Do like James but could Naismith have a wider range more consistently?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

Completely agree. 

Not just Knighty, but so many times we seem to get complete basics wrong it frustrates the hell out of me. Especially when we are building pressure and a 6 yard pass goes out of play relieving the opposition.

Williams, Knight, Sykes and Cornick are the ones that spring to mind that this happens with most often but can be seen across the whole squad. 

Luckily I think that’s one of the things that LM is big on, in getting the basics down before anything else so hopefully we see improvement on that front. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 1

It was fine, almost all of our performances this season have been fine. It’s a fine squad. We were doing fine under Pearson.

The utter deluded garbage spouted by the club has made some people believe we should be expecting more than fine.

We’re organised, we’re competitive and we’re spirited. These things shouldn’t be taken for granted when before Pearson we had none of these.

But if you don’t have enough quality on the ball or enough ability in the final third then you’re never going to be any better than fine. In a strange turn of events, most of the fans seem(ed) perfectly content with that, but the genius football knowledge that run the club lied that we should be doing better.

The crying shame is that we had Scott and Semenyo at a time when the rest of the team was often so lacking. Those two into this team now and we could potentially break into the top six.

• Like 2
  • Flames 4

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Naismith? Were he played in midfield I mean. Do like James but could Naismith have a wider range more consistently?

Well firstly he’s got to be fit to play far more often than at present & because I cannot see them as a pair, he would have then to convince that he’s the better option of the two.

Don’t think he is.

9 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

We'd have won it if Frank Lampard was manager though.

Or have I just made that up?

What sort of person says "I'll never post again if Lampard isn't appointed" and then writes this, or any of the other dribble you've come out with since.

Everything you ever put on here will now be judged by that.   

Utter belter.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels