IGNORED

Experienced manager needed…

formerly known as ivan

The challenge Manning has is the fans are so outraged by the leadership at the club that he is on thin ice already. The best decision was to stay put, see how Nige did and if out of contention by end of March then fine, make a change and give a new manager a solid pre-season and rebuild, the fact that Lansdown, Marshall and Tinnion felt that we had a top six ability squad says it all. Wasn’t terrible today, but wasn’t any better than the Pearson days, I’ve been to each game of the Manning reign and a bit meh so far albeit I can see what he is trying to change, but fact is we didn’t need change, results would have come under Nige. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This thread is exactly what I feared when they sacked Pearson. Whoever the new man was, they were never going to be given the benefit of time when the outgoing manager was widely regarded to be doing a good job. It’s not really fair on Manning, but I blame the board for that. They have created this entirely avoidable discontent.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This thread is exactly what I feared when they sacked Pearson. Whoever the new man was, they were never going to be given the benefit of time when the outgoing manager was widely regarded to be doing a good job. It’s not really fair on Manning, but I blame the board for that. They have created this entirely avoidable discontent.

Exactly right. The only thing Manning has done wrong is be the person the board wanted. It could have been anyone and it would have been the same reaction. Every decision Manning makes, every result that goes against us, people will be pointing fingers purely based on the fact that he shouldn’t be here. All he can do is win us round with fantastic football, which feels a long way off.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Exactly right. The only thing Manning has done wrong is be the person the board wanted. It could have been anyone and it would have been the same reaction. Every decision Manning makes, every result that goes against us, people will be pointing fingers purely based on the fact that he shouldn’t be here. All he can do is win us round with fantastic football, which feels a long way off.

Fantastic football or even wins and a fair few of them.

I said when the change was made, what can Manning thanks in no small part to the board do to win fans over, to buy times if he is planning to build on it say with more possession added to our 4-3-3?

Win games.

Winning games cures most issues.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah okay with you now.

The Middlesbrough win was good, phases of the last 2 were good but I'm not wildly enthused thusfar.

It’s going to take time, I think Nige was getting a lot out of the team and it’s going to be difficult for anyone to come in and improve on that, especially in the short term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

IMy observations to date are as follows

1. He was the most articulate person at the fans forum recently  

2. When being interviewed about football and tactics he says a lot of words without saying much of substance

3 He has made some  unnecessary team changes such as swapping positions with Bell and Sykes against Southampton   Worse still when after 30 mins it was clear that it  was not working he failed to correct it and then repeated playing Sykes on the left against Norwich City today. 

4  I am not a fan of  possession  football and can’t think of anything worse than having to watch a Swansea City type game  I have concerns that this is his preferred style of play . The second half At Southampton and today against Norwich City was boring to watch with slow, ineffective backwards and sideways passing   It also significantly reduces our chances of scoring a goal in transition which is where most our goals have come from in recent seasons 

Like you I think fantastic football is a very long way off and we will probably never see it.

Changing style mid-season is a big gamble.  That surely is for a summer and full pre-season.

If it works with consistent wins coming soon then all fine, as said elsewhere wins cure most things.  If it does not, prepare for the hierarchy to point fingers at it being the fault of the fanbase.

Sign and/or loan in the quality in January to capitalise on what LM is seemingly attempting and perhaps, but we all know that’s unlikely to happen as it does not fit with financial sustainability.

I’m worried.

• Like 2

The reality is that we’re a mid to lower table team unless everyone is fit. 

Knocking the ball about and pressing hasn’t been our problem. Our problem has been creativity and goal scoring.

If anything, slow build up play makes it difficult for us to break teams down. What we need to do is to exploit the pace in the team and hit teams quickly on the break if we want to score goals that win games.

16 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I liked Pearson but his record was not that great and performances were even worse than what we’ve seen today over his last 7 games. What right does he have to decide what games he manages?

With 11 players out injured with games against Leeds and Leicester?

He has the latter right as with him, despite those "7 games" we were within touching distance of the play offs with Jan on the horizon after he wasn't backed in the summer.

Absolute miracle, if you ask me. We had some sense of stability in spite of the tiny squad he was working with.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was similar if not worse in NP's last 7.

Much worse for NP. Cardiff.

NP didn't have Vyner, Tanner, Williams, Conway; with six of eight bench players being Yeboah, Knight-Lebel, Backwell, Idehen Thomas and Nelson. Conway was still named on the bench despite not being close to fitness.

Manning today at least had options to try and change the game.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fuber said:

With 11 players out injured with games against Leeds and Leicester?

He has the latter right as with him, despite those "7 games" we were within touching distance of the play offs with Jan on the horizon after he wasn't backed in the summer.

Absolute miracle, if you ask me. We had some sense of stability in spite of the tiny squad he was working with.

We didn’t have injuries in all of those games, before October international break we were ok.

Leicester, difficult game we sat back though and couldn’t create anything of note

Stoke, bigger collapse than yesterday people seem to have short memories as Pearson’s subs lost us the game but don’t remember any criticism for that.

Rotherham, awful performance thankfully though Conway stepped up and Rotherham were even wordey

Leeds, fair enough decent performance against a good side deservedly lost though

Coventry, Ipswich and Cardiff fair enough we were threadbare and I did think to pull the trigger after Cardiff was incredibly harsh. But we move on which it seems most of the fanbase hasn’t hence why people have made their decision on Manning

• Like 1