IGNORED

ENJOYMENT

But but but we're better with possession in our own half now...

It's personal preference what type of football we all enjoy of course but it's so predictable what this team will do.

Under Nige we maybe had less control and confidence on the ball but at least we'd rush teams and put it on them and stick a few balls into channels for us to hound and chase - feels like we've lost that part of us (which is probably the bit I enjoyed about NP's play the most)

Been saying for a while that were missing that midfield drive, it doesn't have to be a number 10 but just someone who can roll past a man and get the other teams running back but nope it's a couple passes out the back then pass wide and then hit and hope. Really lacklustre and easy to defend against. 

I don't want to see Weimann play again, never really been his biggest fan. Just doesn't show for the ball at all and if he takes more than 3 touches he just kills any momentum we have. Give him a few first time finishes or passes in and around the box and he works off instinct and he's great but when he has time to think he's not a net positive for the team.

They spoke about young players getting opportunities with the academy pathway yet Yeboah hasn't even seen a sniff of the pitch since LM has come in when he's been a real positive influence off the bench under NP. Very raw but an injection of pace/power/unpredictability.

I would rather us stick long balls forward with a load of pace and strength and play from there but that's just my personal way of enjoying the game. 

Losing Scott (the midfield drive) and Semenyo (pace/power/unpredictability) without replacing those attributes just makes the games pretty boring.

I want to see us driving forward and seeing other teams defences panic and fall apart. 

I think most defenders won't mind playing against us the way we play now. Hmmm a few passes and it's gone out wide? Thanks I'll just head that one out all day. 

Feels like the power and drive is slowly being picked apart for a more technical game - which is interesting because JL said we had finally found an identity. I guess that's getting changed now.

Just all a bit deflating isn't it.

27 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I’d actually be interested to read more about why this style of football suddenly seems to have completely swept through the football league like a new strain of Covid. 

Every team seems to try and play it. The best chances every team creates each week seems to be when they nick it off the opposition centre back trying to play like Xavi.

Is this Pep Guardiola’s influence or something else?

Its not sudden. Coaching evolves and from the nineties there has been a shift towards more possession based football and building play through the thirds.

Guardiola's influence is massive, as is Klopps and the UK has imported foreign coaches and influences. We the UK have moved from direct and 4-4-2 to a multitude of approaches based upon possession as a keystone to what is varying and wildly differing football - Bournemouth, Brighton, Liverpool, Newcastle, Man City will all build from the back but all play differently as they advance up the pitch.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

But but…..that’s what a certain Technical Director said was missing, Front Foot I recall mentioned.

He didn't mean long incisive balls and a more direct style of play though did he? That's what I'd like to see, if we want to push the excitement level up as the OP suggested we might?

20 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

The modern game is all about posession and i thought we had some good spells today.

Manning is clearly asking Knight and TGH to be more positive and play higher up the pitch.

It will take time to implement his style and ideas and we obviously need more quality in the final third, but i saw some positive signs today.

A draw was the least we deserved and ironically Idah who scored the winner is the type of player we need with his pace and physicality.

Can I ask what positive signs you saw today.   Genuinely?  Because I saw a team that couldn’t beat one of the worst teams I’ve seen down the Gate for a long long time.   They looked like they were scared of their own shadows they were so devoid of confidence, yet we still let them win.  It was very very poor imho and I didn’t see anything from us to make me feel any better so anything you can provide would be gratefully received! This is not meant as a slagging of Manning btw.  He still gets time from me.  But that was terrible today imo. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

The modern game is all about posession and i thought we had some good spells today.

Manning is clearly asking Knight and TGH to be more positive and play higher up the pitch.

It will take time to implement his style and ideas and we obviously need more quality in the final third, but i saw some positive signs today.

A draw was the least we deserved and ironically Idah who scored the winner is the type of player we need with his pace and physicality.

Not allowed to post sensibly here mate, you know the rules!

Football is about excitement for me, like all Sports but unfortunately I don't find us an excitable watch. Even against Boro we were a hard watch, wins sugar coat the actual real problem for me in that we are just so damn boring. 

Watching us try and scrape victories every week isn't for me and never will be.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 1

I think the possession is a good tactic, and we seem to be capable of it, IF we can then make the link from possession to final third and creation of chances (which we struggle with).

There was a long spell of possession after we went 1-0 and it was useful because we retained control of the game. 

The problem was that the possession fizzled out when we got to the final third. 

26 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Good point this. We’ve developed a generation of English players who are comfortable receiving the ball, comfortable on the ball, even under pressure, and good at seeing and making short passes. But we have v few capable of getting past opposing players, and the desire to retain possession militates against the long forward ball and risky defence splitting pass. Basically secure possession based secure football, at the expense of adventurous attacking.

If you are including us in your analysis re short passing, I disagree. We are hopeless at this. Like our players are on different wavelengths, always wrong footing each other....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

Can I ask what positive signs you saw today.   Genuinely?  Because I saw a team that couldn’t beat one of the worst teams I’ve seen down the Gate for a long long time.   They looked like they were scared of their own shadows they were so devoid of confidence, yet we still let them win.  It was very very poor imho and I didn’t see anything from us to make me feel any better so anything you can provide would be gratefully received! This is not meant as a slagging of Manning btw.  He still gets time from me.  But that was terrible today imo. 

I thought there were a number of positives today.

Knight and TGH continue to impress and we tried to play the ball through midfield where we could.

I'm not sure how many shots we had today but it felt like we caused them problems but lacked that bit of quality needed in the final third.

Whilst Norwich have been on a poor run of form they are a decent side with some very good footballers.

Its always horrible when you lose a game with almost the last kick of the game and Zak should have done better, but we were the more positive team in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

I was involved in a brief discussion about enjoying football.

I didn’t enjoy the game today and the result had little to do with that.

The game today it seemed to me was all about possession and very little about entertainment.

I don’t pretend to know the answer, but if our football, and football in general doesn’t provide entertainment to spectators then what’s the point in going to a game?

If anyone who reads this did enjoy the game please tell me what you enjoyed?
The football from both sides was 99% flat and the crowd was 99% quite.

Brilliant post, spot on 

42 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think part of the problem is that average managers watch teams like Man City and try to replicate their style of play. Unfortunately they ignore the fact that the players at their disposal haven’t got the same quality as those at the top of the Premier League. It would help if a bit of pragmatism was thrown into the mix and teams played to their strengths. If Manning is given plenty of time and money his style of play could easily work at City. On the other hand, if he’s got to work with a meagre budget he may struggle 

That's so true in many cases. 👍

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

I was involved in a brief discussion about enjoying football.

I didn’t enjoy the game today and the result had little to do with that.

The game today it seemed to me was all about possession and very little about entertainment.

I don’t pretend to know the answer, but if our football, and football in general doesn’t provide entertainment to spectators then what’s the point in going to a game?

If anyone who reads this did enjoy the game please tell me what you enjoyed?
The football from both sides was 99% flat and the crowd was 99% quite.

Excellent post

1 hour ago, The turtle said:

Couldn't watch the first half today. Heard the first half was somewhat decent. All prepped and ready for second half; this was my first 25 mins.

Screenshot_2023-12-03-16-01-43-69_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

The last 3 games we’ve come out after half time very flat and certainly not on the front foot.

It’s cost us 2 goals v Boro, the winner on Wednesday and the equaliser today. All scored between 45 and 60 minutes.

Must do better, change where you get the half time oranges or something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

And Man City have just scored a third against Spurs in exactly this fashion…

Talking about playing out from the gk/defence I remember Big Sam saying it would end up this way. His motto was that the further away from your goal the ball the less chance of conceding. Sounds simple/stupid but true 

21 minutes ago, The Bard said:

One of the good things about Nige was his clarity in being a counter attacking side. He wanted us to be good in possession but it wasn't for possession's sake. 

We had a way of playing that was different to most other sides. We look like we just want to be just samey.

He was trying to transition us to one that controls more, but as you say not passing for passings sake.  Foundations built, evolution to his next phase.

• Like 1

Let’s take a breath.

We have a good central defensive partnership. on the full backs, Tanner looks promising, but Pring needs to replicate last season. It’s there but needs to come out. Without that drive, Bell is ineffective.

Sykes, is really impressive in the right flank but he and Bell need to cross more from deeper to service Conway in the middle.

Centrally we are pretty good and Knight is impressive, but in real terms we need another good attacking CM to accompany a good new striker, or allow Conway some additional company up front.

The only difference between us and the top teams is really a couple of players. They have a good striker - we don’t. Norwich and Boro were no different.

Did I enjoy the game ? Not really, but I was with my lad, and his company, a pasty and a couple of pints of Gold, and it became, as it always does, an enjoyable afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

I’d actually be interested to read more about why this style of football suddenly seems to have completely swept through the football league like a new strain of Covid. 

Every team seems to try and play it. The best chances every team creates each week seems to be when they nick it off the opposition centre back trying to play like Xavi.

Is this Pep Guardiola’s influence or something else?

This style of football does not work for 99.9% of teams

The only teams who have ever won much playing it are 

Man City - Bayern - and Barca (all have something in common PEP)

46 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I thought there were a number of positives today.

Knight and TGH continue to impress and we tried to play the ball through midfield where we could.

I'm not sure how many shots we had today but it felt like we caused them problems but lacked that bit of quality needed in the final third.

Whilst Norwich have been on a poor run of form they are a decent side with some very good footballers.

Its always horrible when you lose a game with almost the last kick of the game and Zak should have done better, but we were the more positive team in the 2nd half.

I can’t see a lot of positives listed there tbh.  Norwich were terrible - good players or not - they were there for the taking. Knight was good though - I agree. Probably the only one today unfortunately.  Thank you for replying.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

The last 3 games we’ve come out after half time very flat and certainly not on the front foot.

It’s cost us 2 goals v Boro, the winner on Wednesday and the equaliser today. All scored between 45 and 60 minutes.

Must do better, change where you get the half time oranges or something.

Its not just the last 3 games though is it,most games we come out for the second half and the opposition have a good go at us and we always look like we might concede!