IGNORED

Mark Sykes…

formerly known as ivan

Needs to be played on the right hand side. He looks completely lost on the left. Our goal today followed quickly by Conway’s chance both came from Sykes down the right hand side. Start of the second half he is back on the left and taken off for some reason not long into the second half. It was clear Bell should have come on for Weimann with Sykes moving to the right.

• Like 6

Just now, Red Ferret said:

Substituting him off and leaving Weimann on was a pretty horrific decision 

He took a knock not long beforehand & went off a Saints with cramp.

I knew there would be a Weimann pile on because we lost, he was ok today, offered far more than either Mehmeti or Bell did when they came on.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, GrahamC said:

I knew there would be a Weimann pile on because we lost, he was ok today, offered far more than either Mehmeti or Bell did when they came on.

Fair enough if it was a knock that forced him off. 

Disagree about Weimann though. I think his time here is done sadly.

• Like 3

Just now, GrahamC said:

Agree re the Mehmeti/Bell comparisons, but thought he should have done better for their first, initially knocked off the ball too easily and then didn’t work hard enough to get back in to cover the first time cross. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I felt Mehmeti showed a bit more than in recent games and was more involved than Weimann. Not claiming he was exceptional by any stretch but I felt there were glimpses of a player there and I felt, with a little more confidence, a bit more might have come off. I honestly felt we looked better with him than with Weimann but, as @Engvall’s Splintersays, we’re not exactly debating a high standard of performance - more who was closer to a 5/10 and who was closer to a 6/10. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Weimann was not ok today as per norm he was dogshit, not in his own in that either

29 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

Substituting him off and leaving Weimann on was a pretty horrific decision 

If it was an injury then maybe it had to be done. Has anyone confirmed this or  are we making excuses in lieu of another terrible decision about where Sykes should be?

27 minutes ago, Ecko said:

He's been our best player this season. 

One of them. Dickie and Knight are head and shoulders above the rest at the moment

25 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Pretty low bar there fella. Scott Murray would’ve offered more. 

My grandma would have at least made a cup of tea. Weimann is currently a bit crap. 

19 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Weimann was not ok today as per norm he was dogshit, not in his own in that either

Dogshit is strong. I was thinking more utterly off it, who’s only contribution is arguing with the ref

17 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Totally baffled by what the manager did to Sykes today our best attacking player being put out of position and the headless chicken Andy running around on the other wing doing nothing positive was madness

LJ is back!

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly Graham.  Some don't have the intellectual capacity to think though so we get this knee jerk rubbish. 

Weimann's pass to Conway first half on the left was our best bit of play all game 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

It seems to me that sometimes modern coaches do something they think is funky because they believe it shows how sophisticated they are.

Quite what Manning thought playing Sykes ludicrously out of position would achieve defeats me.

Sometimes you have to play people out of position as a necessity but that wasn't the case today. I hope it's a one off.

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sykes is just about the only ‘forward’ who can both pass and take players on at pace, probably one of the few players a top six club would have in their squad.

Weimann is just not suited to a possession based game, I’ve seen nothing to suggest that Mehmeti is of championship standard, Bell is pretty much a young Weimann, both suited to counter attacking play, our new system does neither any favours.

If a manager  tries to fit players into his preferred system when their basic attributes don’t fit the system will fail.

The fact that when Mehmeti came on he played on the right suggests that Manning doesn’t want wide players getting to the byline and crossing, but cutting in to play centrally. If that is his plan we will have several more games with players looking all at sea before we see any positive progress from playing that way. Time will tell but I’m not looking forward to watching the players flounder until they get with the program. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Needs to be played on the right hand side. He looks completely lost on the left. Our goal today followed quickly by Conway’s chance both came from Sykes down the right hand side. Start of the second half he is back on the left and taken off for some reason not long into the second half. It was clear Bell should have come on for Weimann with Sykes moving to the right.

Beat me to it. I was going to start a similar thread. On the left, his body shape is all wrong when he receives the ball, necessitating 2 or 3 touches by which time the space in front of him is closed down and he has to go backwards. On the right he can receive the ball on his right foot touch it in front into the space and he is away. I noticed this at Southampton and was surprised he started on the left again today. I thought Manning had realised it was a mistake and switched him to the right only to move him back 5 minutes later. Crazy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parkwaymom said:

The fact that when Mehmeti came on he played on the right suggests that Manning doesn’t want wide players getting to the byline and crossing, but cutting in to play centrally. If that is his plan we will have several more games with players looking all at sea before we see any positive progress from playing that way. Time will tell but I’m not looking forward to watching the players flounder until they get with the program. 

If the players are, in your words, to get with the program, then Manning will have to up his man management skills pdq.

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Beat me to it. I was going to start a similar thread. On the left, his body shape is all wrong when he receives the ball, necessitating 2 or 3 touches by which time the space in front of him is closed down and he has to go backwards. On the right he can receive the ball on his right foot touch it in front into the space and he is away. I noticed this at Southampton and was surprised he started on the left again today. I thought Manning had realised it was a mistake and switched him to the right only to move him back 5 minutes later. Crazy.

There was just no understanding between him  and Pring either, looked like they had never met before.

27 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Agree and Pring has stopped getting forward with any real purpose as a result / instruction.

Has to be an instruction, Tanner has never been the bomb forward type but Cam has, and that part of his game has gone, can’t be a coincidence .