IGNORED

Club shop - shocking lack of merchandise and shirts

Shauntaylor85

On 15/12/2023 at 18:55, Sleepy1968 said:

It'll be available mid-March.

Bit like the half time scores. You have to ring up the club on Tuesday between 10am-11am to get Saturday's half times........

We have Birthday's Deaths and Marriages (Death's I can understand although at one point it seemed like half a dozen every home match) and we have blokes running round in silly suits on the pitch but nobody down there seems to think that half time scores should be anything more than just an afterthought to get through asap 60 seconds before the players reappear for the second half. Before I get the obvious comments:

1) Not everyone gets a great phone signal on Matchday down there

2) Not everyone has an i-Phone/Android

3) It's a ******* football ground, give out the half time scores regardless (or at least flash them up on the big screens).

• Like 16
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

3) It's a ******* football ground, give out the half time scores regardless (or at least flash them up on the big screens).

And in black type on red, not white on red which as any fule kno is about the least readable colour combination for script. 

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

I was in Exeter over the weekend, was pleasantly surprised to see two pop up vans in the City centre, one selling Chiefs items and one selling City's stuff, hardly rocket science but someone else more forward thinking than us

A couple of things here really. 

City's lack of a pop up shop could very well be based on experience.  We've had a few over the years and if they don't get the footfall then they're not going to be financially viable.

Secondly, what's the point in a pop up shop if we don't have the merchandise to fill the bloody thing?!?  The only thing we seem to have a decent line on in terms of merch is the golf stuff....which is probably in good stock because no bugger wants the stuff!

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I was in Exeter over the weekend, was pleasantly surprised to see two pop up vans in the City centre, one selling Chiefs items and one selling City's stuff, hardly rocket science but someone else more forward thinking than us

This isn't Exeter though - where would you have a pop up van in Bristol?

I made a rare trip to Broadmead the other day and a pop up van would be a waste of time, quieter than I've ever seen it this close to Christmas and not a lot of Bristol accents to be heard.

Maybe Asda or Sainsbury's car park?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

A couple of things here really. 

City's lack of a pop up shop could very well be based on experience.  We've had a few over the years and if they don't get the footfall then they're not going to be financially viable.

Secondly, what's the point in a pop up shop if we don't have the merchandise to fill the bloody thing?!?  The only thing we seem to have a decent line on in terms of merch is the golf stuff....which is probably in good stock because no bugger wants the stuff!

The point is that they had the thought to produce enough stock and have it available to be sold

We hired an actual shop in the past

36 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

This isn't Exeter though - where would you have a pop up van in Bristol?

I made a rare trip to Broadmead the other day and a pop up van would be a waste of time, quieter than I've ever seen it this close to Christmas and not a lot of Bristol accents to be heard.

Maybe Asda or Sainsbury's car park?

What is the difference?

Two Cities, both with busy centre's

Obviously there is enough foot fall customers around otherwise there wouldn't been any shops there

1 hour ago, phantom said:

1) The point is that they had the thought to produce enough stock and have it available to be sold

We hired an actual shop in the past

2) What is the difference?

Two Cities, both with busy centre's

Obviously there is enough foot fall customers around otherwise there wouldn't been any shops there

I've numbered above for ease...

1) Stock is what's been lacking, no doubt about it.  That bit I was being a little sarcastic about.  In the past, we've had a shop prior to the Cabot rebuild (I think), as well as one in Quaker Friars and a pop up in John Lewis at Cribbs.  None of them were a rip roaring success.

2) There isn't enough footfall in Broadmead I don't believe.  That's why there have been major stores leaving, such as M&S and also why the Galleries is being demolished and replaced with mainly apartments.  Shopping in Bristol City Centre has been in huge decline for many years now.  Public transport, traffic/road systems and parking have been a major contributing factor for this.

• Like 3

On a purely unscientific sample, today I had to take my 12 year old groundhopping as he’s trying to see all 92. And it shuts him up.

We visited 9 clubs - Coventry, Derby, Forest, Notts County, Rotherham, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Chesterfield and Mansfield.

Of those, the range in Cov, Weds, Derby, Sheff U, Notts County and Forest was comfortably above ours. Rotherham about par, and we were better than Mansfield or Chesterfield who only really offered kit. Of which stock was plentiful. That says our retail operation is definitely league 2 level…

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

where would you have a pop up van in Bristol?

If , and that is a big and major if, we had a decent range of varied stock then from early or mid November they could have had a pop up in the Mall. The Mall is usually reasonably busy, and everyone out Christmas shopping would surely make sense taking advantage of it. A joint venture with the Bears would make sense out there. 
They were good with the "new" Robin Logo on the Bridge and then with the advertising hoardings across Bristol, but they are really passive when it comes to merchandising .

Incidentally on the city centre shop thing it is worth noting a few things:

- I’m not sure what people know how much a retail unit in Broadmead actually costs to rent. As a guide, a 120 sq ft unit in Cabot (so pretty small - just a kiosk really) is £40k pa on current listings. If you add in staff costs, rates, insurance etc and profit margin required on each item that unit needs to shift probably about £4K a week to get close to breaking even. The market is by nature limited so it’s not getting there and it’s a valid decision

- Other clubs have also taken this view - Villa closing their Broad Street store for example. Clubs like Man City (Arndale) have one for the big club tourist buck but we’re not in that league (bizarrely PSG have a shop on Oxford Street!) and then outside of stuff like Liverpool/Rangers/Celtic shops in Belfast and the fantastically named “Everton Two” in the Liverpool shopping centre, it just doesn’t happen.

- A pop up was tried as has been said at QF. And we all remember Massive! There may have been an opportunity for a Christmas market unit, but as has been said that relies on stock..

TL:DR - a city centre shop wouldn’t work 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

59 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

On a purely unscientific sample, today I had to take my 12 year old groundhopping as he’s trying to see all 92. And it shuts him up.

We visited 9 clubs - Coventry, Derby, Forest, Notts County, Rotherham, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Chesterfield and Mansfield.

Of those, the range in Cov, Weds, Derby, Sheff U, Notts County and Forest was comfortably above ours. Rotherham about par, and we were better than Mansfield or Chesterfield who only really offered kit. Of which stock was plentiful. That says our retail operation is definitely league 2 level…

Impressive haul in a day, a great way to spend a day, I'd love it 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Other clubs have also taken this view - Villa closing their Broad Street store for example. Clubs like Man City (Arndale) have one for the big club tourist buck but we’re not in that league (bizarrely PSG have a shop on Oxford Street!) and then outside of stuff like Liverpool/Rangers/Celtic shops in Belfast and the fantastically named “Everton Two” in the Liverpool shopping centre, it just doesn’t happen.

Not so bizarre when you consider the French Consulate in London have said there are up to 300k French living in London and the South East.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not so bizarre when you consider the French Consulate in London have said there are up to 300k French living in London and the South East.

Tbf it’s nothing to do with how many French are in London and all down to how the psg shirt over the last few years had been seen as a fashion statement . Unfortunately last couple of times I’ve come to Bristol I’ve seen more psg and Real Madrid Shirts than City or Rovers . 

22 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Tbf it’s nothing to do with how many French are in London and all down to how the psg shirt over the last few years had been seen as a fashion statement . Unfortunately last couple of times I’ve come to Bristol I’ve seen more psg and Real Madrid Shirts than City or Rovers . 

Real Madrid are arguably the biggest or one of the top 3 biggest clubs in the world and we know what modern fans can be like.

PSG are harder to fathom. Maybe they've taken off a bit in the Arab world or other such areas but.

Periodically see PL clubs hats or shirts at AG too. Kids or not it's disappointing!

In home ends, wear home colours only..in away end away colours, the rest well.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 16:19, Silvio Dante said:

7am start from Yate, home by about half seven at night and an exceptionally numb backside from the driving! 

However, sneaking through open gates rules!

IMG_2102.jpeg

That’s actually brilliant, I’d have loved this as a kid - probably the sort of thing I’d still do now too. Whenever I work near a new place I’ll go check out the ground etc

Back on the kit questions, does anyone have a specific recommendation on a site / seller for the fake kits?