IGNORED

January

Ska Junkie

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

We all know what deep pockets Crayon boy’s dad has when he needs to prove his managerial decisions correct. I wonder who’ll be brought in to correct the next mess. 

I genuinely think Steve has stepped back and is pretty much done and dusted on the football side except for being the ultimate funder. We clearly can't sell the operation so it seems to me that Jon has been given a chance to show what he can do, will be given the budget and how he deals with it is his pigeon with father looking on.......that's how I see it going currently. This is Jon's chance to shine now and I get the impression the old man has lost interest and is staying well out of it.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Regardless of who we do sign in January, all I ask is please please please do not let it be anyone from bloody Oxford! Simply not good enough to improve what we have, yet would be the easy move for Manning to make.

Sykes was from Oxford, Atkinson too. Not saying you're wrong, but surely not impossible they have players who could/can step up and they would already know LM's style.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

We need:

GK, sorry but Max still gives me the heebie jeebies! 😂

Left winger - Bell and Mehmeti are, erm, not very good  

Big No 9/strong pacey forward. 

dont think we need much tbh. Theres a lot better movement and forward football than before so we need to improve the quality in forward areas to take advantage. 

Edited by nickolas
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Regardless of who we do sign in January, all I ask is please please please do not let it be anyone from bloody Oxford! Simply not good enough to improve what we have, yet would be the easy move for Manning to make.

That is going to be our market tho. Top talent from League 1, journeyman Championship players, or youngsters on loan from The Prem.

I can see us being interested in Brannigan from Oxford and wouldn't be surprised if we went after others from League 1, as Manning will know alot about the best talent at that level.

We have to be realistic about the wages we commit to and therefore League 1 may be where we look.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Genuine competition for Max, left sided midfield player and a forward in an ideal world. Plus McCrorie, Wells, Naismith and Atkinson all fit and firing.

Unfortunately, this assumes everything remains the same. But it won't.

The players named above may return "all fit and firing" but that often isn't the case, and, for all we know, they may not even return.

Furthermore (given our recent experience), if/when the injured players return, our currently fit players will, very possibly sustain injuries or even suffer loss of form.

Also, other clubs will be seeking to strengthen their squads at the same time, and several will have more money to spend than us.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

That is going to be our market tho. Top talent from League 1, journeyman Championship players, or youngsters on loan from The Prem.

I can see us being interested in Brannigan from Oxford and wouldn't be surprised if we went after others from League 1, as Manning will know alot about the best talent at that level.

We have to be realistic about the wages we commit to and therefore League 1 may be where we look.

Brannigan is 27 and has spent pretty much his whole career at Oxford. If he had the capability of playing in the championship someone would have signed him by now. Look at players like Ben Pearson and Ryan Ledson.

I get being interested in top league 1 talent. Unfortunately I feel like anyone playing for Oxford under Manning doesn’t fit that category.

14 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Exactly, it’s a good point but we’ve had the best they can offer.

What is missing in our side is genuine quality. I’m not sure you are going to find a lot of that in league 1. We are well stocked (when everyone is fit) with hard graft and honesty which is what we needed for the last couple of seasons but it’s taken us as far as we can go. Adding even more hard graft and honesty is the epitome of doing the same thing and expecting different results. It certainly won’t deliver “top end” finishes playing on the front foot.

Our Director de Tecknique no doubt realises that though and work is going on behind the scenes to identify the players and find the funds for what they are promising.

Edited by Numero Uno

I've got to say, i'm feeling a tad more pessimistic about the squad since Manning came in.

In terms of how he wants to play and who can play like that.

Looking at squad evolution, taking performances into account (I might be being harsh, but) you would want to build a team around:

Vyner/Dickie 

Knight/Sykes

Add in Pring and Conway.

(Atkinson and McCrorie to return, left out the debate)

So for me doubts over our whole midfield, James and Williams OOC in summer - TGH in and out team (does Manning rate him?) So who do you build around there? Anyone coming through academy ready for next season?

Bell, Mehmeti and Tanner - again question marks - need to lift levels. Weimann, Naismith and Cornick - what top pros, but top 6 material anymore?

Again, interesting times. 

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I don’t see Wiles as the answer to be honest. Physically he isn’t great for a keeper.  Equally I don’t think he’s near Max’s level at the moment. 

Was only commenting on the likelihood of Lewis Thomas hanging around! Not on HWR’s ability to be the “answer” 😝