IGNORED

Some positive news

bcfc01

For those who don't like going onto the post site (it is a nause sometimes) ;

Bristol City star learns to curb on-field excitement as he struggles to contain it off the pitch

Bristol City striker Tommy Conway is loving life under Liam Manning and believes he and his teammates are at the beginning of what promises to be an exciting and successful journey

In his post-match with media after Huddersfield Town, Tommy Conway used the term “it’s exciting”, or a variation of it, five times in describing what he believes lies ahead for him and Bristol City under Liam Manning.

You could argue, perhaps reasonably so, that this is simple footballer chat or paying lip service around a new management team, except Conway doesn’t tend to be an individual to conform to interview norms, clichés, waste words, or be superficial by saying something without meaning it.

He is a more polished, professional and confident person from the boyish enthusiasm that underpinned his character during last season’s breakout, but he’s still Tommy from Taunton and when he declares he’s excited, you believe him.

The 21-year-old scored his first goal from open play since October 4, against Huddersfield on Saturday, converting Andi Weimann’s low centre in the 46th minute to ultimately earn City a point at the John Smith’s Stadium.

On a personal level it was pleasing, but across the team it was another frustrating afternoon of missed chances, two of which landed at Conway’s feet, continuing a slight theme of his short time working with Manning.

But while opportunities he didn’t take against Middlesbrough, Southampton, Norwich and now Huddersfield are reference points and pieces of evidence for him to learn him, and by his own admission it’s not been perfect, the 21-year-old is enthused by not just what he’s seen, but more what likely lurks on the horizon if City continue on the same upward trend.

“What everyone has to realise is we’re learning a new system and we’re only right at the start of the process and to do what we’ve done out there already on the pitch, from working on the training field to then putting it into a game, like the gaffer said, it’s so impressive to do that in such a short period of time,” Conway said.

“I’m so excited for what’s to come in the next couple of months, even years, and what we can do. It’s right at the start and I’m very pleased where the group is and where we keep getting better and better.

“I want to score as many goals as I can but if I can do that while the team wins, even better. As long as we’re winning and moving up the table in the right direction, that’s all that matters; goals, assists, working hard, linking up the play, getting in behind - I know what I’ve got to do to help the team in my aspect, and everyone knows their role in their aspect.”

Conway remains very much “a striker” but as he accepts it’s no way as simplistic as that characterisation because there are many different ways and instructions to playing the position. It’s not just what he’s been asked to do by Manning in and out of possession in an overall, wider sense, it’s on a game-to-game basis.

The head coach devises specific team and individual game plans per opponent, so the Scotland Under-21 international approach at Ewood Park on Tuesday night against Blackburn Rovers may be different to how he was against Huddersfield on the weekend.

One of the key alterations has been Manning’s insistence on Conway remaining in a central role and not drifting from that area to try and get involved. The concept of patience in how the Robins build-up play is extended to the striker’s own impact as he’s gone significant periods without touching the ball, but there’s nothing wrong with that, either. It’s a lesson that Conway, for all his enthusiasm and willingness to work, has had to get used to.

“Every game’s different, that’s what the gaffer says,” Conway said. “There are going to be games where, for example, Huddersfield sit in a deep block - they’ve got five at the back and maybe I’ll go games without touching the ball, but I’m going to be in the middle of the goal where I’m going to be the most threatening.

“Other games, with teams who concede space in behind, I’m going to touch the ball a lot more. That’s one thing I’ve learned a lot since the gaffer’s come in and he sat down and spoke with me about that, to just get my head around that and to learn that sort of stuff off of him was really valuable because in my own head I’m thinking, ‘I’m not touching the ball’ but he’s thinking that’s normal. I’m in the middle of the goal where balls are going to be coming in and I’m going to be scoring goals like I did at Huddersfield. I’m learning all the time and loving it.

“Under the old coaching staff maybe I would be told to run in behind all the time, whereas this is more, stay in the middle of the pitch and make your runs off of that.

"Sometimes you’re just walking in between play while the lads are moving the ball, switching it side to side, but I don’t need to be doing as much running as I used to, under this manager and the system he plays. With the two No10s and the wingers out wide, I should be in the middle of the pitch, so when they get the ball, I’m in the right position to be most threatening to the opposition.”

Manning wants hungry, coachable and malleable players and Conway appears to fit the brief given his desire for knowledge and self-improvement, admitting he’s never analysed his game quite as much as he has done over the last five weeks.

Previously driven on instinct and talent, as well as plenty of hard work, Conway is now having to bring a cerebral and methodical approach to the art of scoring goals; become more conditioned to exactly where he needs to be for the benefit of the team, and his own personal ambitions of hitting the back of the net regularly.

“I set high standards of myself all the time, so I want to keep getting better and better and testing where I can do, testing myself every week and every day in training and as long as you do that, I don’t think you’ll be failing in life, you’ll be succeeding so as long as everyone’s on the same page, I’ll be a success,” Conway added.

I don’t know what to make of all that he almost lost me when he said “process”!

The opening salvo talks of paying lip service to the new management team, it certainly read like that but then what else could you really expect? He’s not going to come out and say anything negative about Manning or the decision making that led to his appointment. 

It will be interesting to see if Manning can improve him, but personally I didn’t think there was much wrong with him under Nige’s management. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

For those who don't like going onto the post site (it is a nause sometimes) ;

Bristol City star learns to curb on-field excitement as he struggles to contain it off the pitch

Bristol City striker Tommy Conway is loving life under Liam Manning and believes he and his teammates are at the beginning of what promises to be an exciting and successful journey

In his post-match with media after Huddersfield Town, Tommy Conway used the term “it’s exciting”, or a variation of it, five times in describing what he believes lies ahead for him and Bristol City under Liam Manning.

You could argue, perhaps reasonably so, that this is simple footballer chat or paying lip service around a new management team, except Conway doesn’t tend to be an individual to conform to interview norms, clichés, waste words, or be superficial by saying something without meaning it.

He is a more polished, professional and confident person from the boyish enthusiasm that underpinned his character during last season’s breakout, but he’s still Tommy from Taunton and when he declares he’s excited, you believe him.

The 21-year-old scored his first goal from open play since October 4, against Huddersfield on Saturday, converting Andi Weimann’s low centre in the 46th minute to ultimately earn City a point at the John Smith’s Stadium.

On a personal level it was pleasing, but across the team it was another frustrating afternoon of missed chances, two of which landed at Conway’s feet, continuing a slight theme of his short time working with Manning.

But while opportunities he didn’t take against Middlesbrough, Southampton, Norwich and now Huddersfield are reference points and pieces of evidence for him to learn him, and by his own admission it’s not been perfect, the 21-year-old is enthused by not just what he’s seen, but more what likely lurks on the horizon if City continue on the same upward trend.

“What everyone has to realise is we’re learning a new system and we’re only right at the start of the process and to do what we’ve done out there already on the pitch, from working on the training field to then putting it into a game, like the gaffer said, it’s so impressive to do that in such a short period of time,” Conway said.

“I’m so excited for what’s to come in the next couple of months, even years, and what we can do. It’s right at the start and I’m very pleased where the group is and where we keep getting better and better.

“I want to score as many goals as I can but if I can do that while the team wins, even better. As long as we’re winning and moving up the table in the right direction, that’s all that matters; goals, assists, working hard, linking up the play, getting in behind - I know what I’ve got to do to help the team in my aspect, and everyone knows their role in their aspect.”

Conway remains very much “a striker” but as he accepts it’s no way as simplistic as that characterisation because there are many different ways and instructions to playing the position. It’s not just what he’s been asked to do by Manning in and out of possession in an overall, wider sense, it’s on a game-to-game basis.

The head coach devises specific team and individual game plans per opponent, so the Scotland Under-21 international approach at Ewood Park on Tuesday night against Blackburn Rovers may be different to how he was against Huddersfield on the weekend.

One of the key alterations has been Manning’s insistence on Conway remaining in a central role and not drifting from that area to try and get involved. The concept of patience in how the Robins build-up play is extended to the striker’s own impact as he’s gone significant periods without touching the ball, but there’s nothing wrong with that, either. It’s a lesson that Conway, for all his enthusiasm and willingness to work, has had to get used to.

“Every game’s different, that’s what the gaffer says,” Conway said. “There are going to be games where, for example, Huddersfield sit in a deep block - they’ve got five at the back and maybe I’ll go games without touching the ball, but I’m going to be in the middle of the goal where I’m going to be the most threatening.

“Other games, with teams who concede space in behind, I’m going to touch the ball a lot more. That’s one thing I’ve learned a lot since the gaffer’s come in and he sat down and spoke with me about that, to just get my head around that and to learn that sort of stuff off of him was really valuable because in my own head I’m thinking, ‘I’m not touching the ball’ but he’s thinking that’s normal. I’m in the middle of the goal where balls are going to be coming in and I’m going to be scoring goals like I did at Huddersfield. I’m learning all the time and loving it.

“Under the old coaching staff maybe I would be told to run in behind all the time, whereas this is more, stay in the middle of the pitch and make your runs off of that.

"Sometimes you’re just walking in between play while the lads are moving the ball, switching it side to side, but I don’t need to be doing as much running as I used to, under this manager and the system he plays. With the two No10s and the wingers out wide, I should be in the middle of the pitch, so when they get the ball, I’m in the right position to be most threatening to the opposition.”

Manning wants hungry, coachable and malleable players and Conway appears to fit the brief given his desire for knowledge and self-improvement, admitting he’s never analysed his game quite as much as he has done over the last five weeks.

Previously driven on instinct and talent, as well as plenty of hard work, Conway is now having to bring a cerebral and methodical approach to the art of scoring goals; become more conditioned to exactly where he needs to be for the benefit of the team, and his own personal ambitions of hitting the back of the net regularly.

“I set high standards of myself all the time, so I want to keep getting better and better and testing where I can do, testing myself every week and every day in training and as long as you do that, I don’t think you’ll be failing in life, you’ll be succeeding so as long as everyone’s on the same page, I’ll be a success,” Conway added.

Lucky he didn't stay in the middle and not touch the ball when he came on against Rotherham.

• Haha 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

It’s actually really worth watching / listening to his club interview too.

I just get the impression (or gut feeling maybe) that he's back in the saddle.

I certainly hope so as he's a very important player for us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I just get the impression (or gut feeling maybe) that he's back in the saddle.

I certainly hope so as he's a very important player for us.

I don’t think he ever wasn’t…

…bar needing a few games to get match-sharp after his injury.  The Rotherham game was an added bonus, but I thought he looked really sharp at Cardiff.  And I’m not sure where the “he’s lost his pace” or “he’s not trusting his hamstring” come from.

In all the games since Cardiff he has shown he has his pace.  Whether he’s played well in some cases has been down in part down to the team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he ever wasn’t…

…bar needing a few games to get match-sharp after his injury.  The Rotherham game was an added bonus, but I thought he looked really sharp at Cardiff.  And I’m not sure where the “he’s lost his pace” or “he’s not trusting his hamstring” come from.

In all the games since Cardiff he has shown he has his pace.  Whether he’s played well in some cases has been down in part down to the team.

Don't agree.

I think he was there in terms of physicallity after a game or two, but I don't think he's been there mentally at all.

Numerous missed chances is testament to that imo.

Even on Saturday when he turned right in the area when a quick shift left would have left him with a clear shot. That would probably have been in the net last season or at least tested the keeper.

I don't think he's been on it at all up till saturday - getting in the positions, yes no problem, but his finishing has been poor which is unlike him .

But I did see signs saturday and that goal will have done him the world of good even though it was more or less a tap in - he got there to get on it. His face lit up when the interviewer brought that up, he lives for scoring goals. 

I think he's back on it after a bit of a hiatus and I fancy him bagging a goal tomorrow.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Don't agree.

I think he was there in terms of physicallity after a game or two, but I don't think he's been there mentally at all.

Even on Saturday when he turned right in the area when a quick shift left would have left him with a clear shot. That would probably have been in the net last season or at least tested the keeper.

I don't think he's been on it at all up till saturday - getting in the positions, yes no problem, but his finishing has been poor which is unlike him .

But I did see signs saturday and that goal will have done him the world of good even though it was more or less a tap in - he got there to get on it. His face lit up when the interviewer brought that up, he lives for scoring goals. 

I think he's back on it after a bit of a hiatus and I fancy him bagging a goal tomorrow.

Fine.

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Don't agree.

So you don't agree - but you agree...?!

• Haha 1

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Or in the case of OTIB. You're either good or your shit, there is no such thing as form. 

Strikers and goalkeepers always seem to be the players most effected by "form" probably because they are generally only valued by one specific element of their game, putting the ball in or keeping it out of the net. 

In the case of strikers I think they work mostly on instinct which is fine when things are going well. But when it seems to stop working for them, they start thinking about it and that split second of trying to make sure of a finish, is often enough for a defender or a keeper to pounce on. 

Someone said that on here that it wasn't that good a finish on Saturday as it was too close to the keeper, and he should have been putting it in a corner. But I think it might work for him, seeing that it doesn't have to be perfect, just keep hitting the target. The danger of going for the perfect finish was demonstrated by Bell hitting the post a couple of games ago.

I was talking to @Loosey Boy previously and said "he needs to get on his toes, not sitting back waiting for the perfect opportunity." I thought that was much better Saturday.

Tommy's back, and hopefully we will see that tonight.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

Best thing a striker can do is score goals, second best is miss chances to score goals, worst case is not having any chances at all to score. Tommy is always in category one or two of this, and he will come good. 

admittedly slightly simplistic, but he will do well for us, I just hope he doesn’t end up being a Manning/Tinnion pile on victim as and when we lose/play poorly, he is a top talent, local lad, and comes across very well. Up the TC! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Lucky he didn't stay in the middle and not touch the ball when he came on against Rotherham.

Exactly Alan shearer type goals did we ever see shearer stay in the middle and not touch the ball? far from it,A good striker knows when to drop off and knows when to make those runs into the middle. 

• Like 3