IGNORED

Relegation form

Ziderarmy

11 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

We have a couple of lines of defence before needing to worry about the drop.

1. Players back from injury. Wells improves the function of our attack, Naismith will boost our creativity, Ross McCrorie is an exciting unknown quantity.

2. January. If it’s looking bad, they Lansdown’s will spend. They know they got us into this mess and they will cover their asses.

3. Sheffield Wednesday are ass. That’s one spot gone. Rotherham not much better, that’s two.

I honestly believe this squad of ours, when mostly/fully fit, is mid table at the very least. We have honest, talented players. They’re struggling in a new system and low on confidence, but they are good.

Folks keep saying spend, but on whom exactly? January sales usually not real bargains.

9 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Regardless of principles, behaviours and all the other mind-numbingly boring psychobabble, the fact is that Lansdown's boy-wonder has so far delivered a meagre five points from a possible eighteen.

Although a few on here claim to see what Manning is trying to achieve, I'm not impressed.

His priority is to focus on achieving wins, and he's looking more and more like a loser.

I'm still waiting for one of his increasingly quiet adherents to be very specific about what, for them, would make Manning's appointment a  demonstrable and incontrovertible success.

Whilst you're right, Nige was also struggling to get this team playing. Nige lost 5 in his last 7. 

So we know that Nige was a good manager. And he was struggling. So it's not an easy task.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Whilst you're right, Nige was also struggling to get this team playing. Nige lost 5 in his last 7. 

So we know that Nige was a good manager. And he was struggling. So it's not an easy task.

Nige had most of the first team injured during the lead up to his sacking  No Vyner, no James, no Naismith, Conway etc.  Compare this with Manning's first game in charge when those 4 players were all back available and mostly in the starting line up.  Its unfair to make the comparison without context. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Nige had most of the first team injured during the lead up to his sacking  No Vyner, no James, no Naismith, Conway etc.  Compare this with Manning's first game in charge when those 4 players were all back available and mostly in the starting line up.  Its unfair to make the comparison without context. 

Yes and Manning got 4 points from the first two games.

Naismith is now injured again, Vyner was to blame for two goals imo, but has stayed fit.

Conway is back, but he's totally out of touch and confidence. 

So I'm not convinced based on the above that Nige would have got much more joy with the same set of players?

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 3

14 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Folks keep saying spend, but on whom exactly? January sales usually not real bargains.

Could we look at some decent players who may fit the style who are out of contract in the summer.

Granted some of the names maybe less than realistic but Bird and Willock are both out of contract. Eiran Cashin reoeordly was but thete is a year option it seems and secondly some PL clubs are looking so we can cross him off.

Sure others can think of some targets but players whose contracts are expiring in the summer could be one avenue to explore.

P6: W1, D2, L3. 5 points from 6.

The draws are pretty damning too - IMHO draws against QPR and Huddersfield have to be seen as bad results given that both sides are in the bottom 4.

The 1-0 loss away at Southampton? Fair enough, I can accept that.

So essentially it's:

• 1 good result (Boro)
  • 1 reasonable result (Southampton)
  • 4 disappointing results (QPR, Huddersfield, Norwich, Blackburn)

I'm not worried about relegation at all, but it's a very poor start results-wise. Especially when you remember that Manning was brought in to improve our league position THIS season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

If you look at QPRs form since playing us, a point was a good return.

I don't agree personally - a point against a team in the bottom 3 isn't a good result for a club with ambitions of being in and around the top third.

QPR hadn't won in 10 games. They were, and still are, in the relegation zone. In their last game prior to us they drew with Rotherham. Appreciate they appear to have improved under Cifuentes, but if we want to progress up the table then IMHO we have to look at games like this and say "No excuses, we ought to be winning this really".

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

P6: W1, D2, L3. 5 points from 6.

The draws are pretty damning too - IMHO draws against QPR and Huddersfield have to be seen as bad results given that both sides are in the bottom 4.

The 1-0 loss away at Southampton? Fair enough, I can accept that.

So essentially it's:

• 1 good result (Boro)
  • 1 reasonable result (Southampton)
  • 4 disappointing results (QPR, Huddersfield, Norwich, Blackburn)

I'm not worried about relegation at all, but it's a very poor start results-wise. Especially when you remember that Manning was brought in to improve our league position THIS season.

You will be worried if this continues into January. A novice manager at this level!

17 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

We have a couple of lines of defence before needing to worry about the drop.

1. Players back from injury. Wells improves the function of our attack, Naismith will boost our creativity, Ross McCrorie is an exciting unknown quantity.

2. January. If it’s looking bad, they Lansdown’s will spend. They know they got us into this mess and they will cover their asses.

3. Sheffield Wednesday are ass. That’s one spot gone. Rotherham not much better, that’s two.

I honestly believe this squad of ours, when mostly/fully fit, is mid table at the very least. We have honest, talented players. They’re struggling in a new system and low on confidence, but they are good.

Wednesday have had 3 really good results in a row now. 

Luckily for us their bad start should mean that they won't catch us but can't rule them out of staying up. Their new manager seems to have got a tune out of them. 

Can't believe I'm sat here even talking about Wednesday potentially catching us. 

28 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Wednesday have had 3 really good results in a row now. 

Luckily for us their bad start should mean that they won't catch us but can't rule them out of staying up. Their new manager seems to have got a tune out of them. 

Can't believe I'm sat here even talking about Wednesday potentially catching us. 

Indeed. When Manning came in.

Screenshot_20231213-160830_Chrome.thumb.jpg.df0e76849b0e6c110cd2f1db1c4da4b1.jpg

The position now, still with some to play this week to get up to 21 games each.

Screenshot_20231213-160857_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2b70213096e102f3ad8a442aeeca5ac4.jpg

11 above the bottom 3 has become 7, 15 above Sheffield Wednesday has become 13 plus QPR and Sheffield Wednesday each have a game in hand.

After QPR away we were 12 above the bottom 3 and 16 above Sheffield Wednesday.

At best bottom 5 or 6.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

I think go back to pearsons last 7 games and only 2 wins that’s where it started 

2 wins from 7 was directly quoted, I believe by one of the three wise men, as results not good enough. And that was one of the reasons spouted for the sacking.

Manning, can't better that record now. So where does that leave us ?

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

If you look at QPRs form since playing us, a point was a good return.

They were missing their best player and the new manager bounce hadn't kicked in. We played Knight as a DM and left TGH out. Naismith was also fit for this one. An insipid point was not a good return. Personally would have rather seen us lose but at least give it a go.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed. When Manning came in.

Screenshot_20231213-160830_Chrome.thumb.jpg.df0e76849b0e6c110cd2f1db1c4da4b1.jpg

The position now, still with some to play this week to get up to 21 games each.

Screenshot_20231213-160857_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2b70213096e102f3ad8a442aeeca5ac4.jpg

11 above the bottom 3 has become 7, 15 above Sheffield Wednesday has become 13 plus QPR and Sheffield Wednesday each have a game in hand.

After QPR away we were 12 above the bottom 3 and 16 above Sheffield Wednesday.

At best bottom 5 or 6.

Wow - I hadn’t looked at the table for a while - when Manning came in, as you say, we looked miles off the relegation zone and the teams in it looked miles adrift.

In fact, didn’t someone start a post saying it’s all over for those bottom 3?! 

Certainly doesn’t look that way anymore, QPR have blown that last spot wide open and any team in that bottom half should be wary, including us now.

Absolutely crazy to even be entertaining it TBH - what a shambles right now, needs turning around soon.

15 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Wow - I hadn’t looked at the table for a while - when Manning came in, as you say, we looked miles off the relegation zone and the teams in it looked miles adrift.

In fact, didn’t someone start a post saying it’s all over for those bottom 3?! 

Certainly doesn’t look that way anymore, QPR have blown that last spot wide open and any team in that bottom half should be wary, including us now.

Absolutely crazy to even be entertaining it TBH - what a shambles right now, needs turning around soon.

I think we'll be ultimately be fine tbh this year in terms of relegation risk but as you say, crazy to be entertaining it. QPR on a bit of a roll, Sheffield Wednesday slowly regaining some ground too.

We do seem to be going backwards at a rate of knots however and can Manning turn around a slump, a tough period..has he got it in his locker.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

Starting to get a bit worried as we are starting to slip down the table. If QPR pick up a few more points over the next few games then it will definitely start to look like a bit of a relegation scrap. But this team doesn't feel like a relegation team. Granted not a top 6 either despite what Jon and Brian will have us try and believe. Just hope we do enough to stay up then try and push on. It does feel like all the hard work that has been put in over the past few seasons is starting to fall apart though. I hope I am wrong. But I will be there Saturday regardless and will get behind the team. 

• Like 1

I keep referring back to 1979-80 in Div One.

Remember 2pts a win and 1 a draw.

End of November we had 16 PTS from 17 games.

Seventeen games later at end March we had 23 PTS.

We never recovered and we all know what followed.

So while I'm trying not to believe it can't happen again, we have to start collecting winning points. Draws aren't good enough now as 3 PTS a win can work wonders for those at the bottom now.

26 minutes ago, SomeRandomBristolian said:

Starting to get a bit worried as we are starting to slip down the table. If QPR pick up a few more points over the next few games then it will definitely start to look like a bit of a relegation scrap. But this team doesn't feel like a relegation team. Granted not a top 6 either despite what Jon and Brian will have us try and believe. Just hope we do enough to stay up then try and push on. It does feel like all the hard work that has been put in over the past few seasons is starting to fall apart though. I hope I am wrong. But I will be there Saturday regardless and will get behind the team. 

Teams that get relegated aren’t necessarily hammered every game, often they can play well, fail to convert a chance or two, and lose by one or two goals.

Once the players start to lose confidence, and the coach or manager tries different formations and players to try and get a result and that doesn’t work relegation can be a genuine threat.

I’ll be there as well and am hoping for a win rather than expecting one.

13 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Teams that get relegated aren’t necessarily hammered every game, often they can play well, fail to convert a chance or two, and lose by one or two goals.

Once the players start to lose confidence, and the coach or manager tries different formations and players to try and get a result and that doesn’t work relegation can be a genuine threat.

Yeah fair point.  I am worried about our form and yeah like you said failing to covert a chance or two can make the difference between getting a win and staying up or not picking up points and going down. Like you said the teams confidence will play a big part too as if they lose confidence then performances will continue to drop. 

Edited by SomeRandomBristolian

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I keep referring back to 1979-80 in Div One.

Remember 2pts a win and 1 a draw.

End of November we had 16 PTS from 17 games.

Seventeen games later at end March we had 23 PTS.

We never recovered and we all know what followed.

So while I'm trying not to believe it can't happen again, we have to start collecting winning points. Draws aren't good enough now as 3 PTS a win can work wonders for those at the bottom now.

As I mentioned earlier, Nige had a way of getting a win when it was needed.  We never had a bad run under him really.

I’m not saying LM will either.

I like 6 game runs, usually an equal mix of 3 home and away, usually a mix of opponents too (not always).

Actually in LM’s case it’s 2 home / 4 away for his 5 points.

Nige had a few 4 pts from 6 in his reign, so we need to just be mindful of where runs start and end, as they can be used to prove one thing or another - in fact Nige himself said exactly that!

The main thing for me is that we get something going in these next two home games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

As I mentioned earlier, Nige had a way of getting a win when it was needed.  We never had a bad run under him really.

I’m not saying LM will either.

I like 6 game runs, usually an equal mix of 3 home and away, usually a mix of opponents too (not always).

Actually in LM’s case it’s 2 home / 4 away for his 5 points.

Nige had a few 4 pts from 6 in his reign, so we need to just be mindful of where runs start and end, as they can be used to prove one thing or another - in fact Nige himself said exactly that!

The main thing for me is that we get something going in these next two home games.

3 points would be ok, four great, six fantastic, less shite tbh although if it was to be three points it might be better for Manning if he was to get them this week!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

It’s the loss of confidence that is the biggest worry as that usually goes hand in hand with form. And if it goes on long enough, teams can almost sleepwalk into a relegation battle. Every year there is a team that loses momentum and plummets down the table and is battling to stay up come the end of the season. Last season it was QPR with a change of coach, and no reason that we couldn’t follow exactly the same pattern this season with no guarantee of survival.