IGNORED

Malice In Sunderland

Silvio Dante

(I know it’s a home game but that title was too good to resist).

So, Saturday. Loads of questions currently in place and a few thoughts on some of those:

Will Manning change any personnel?

Bluntly, I think he has to both for form and for reasons of not giving a selection that rankles immediately. No doubt in my mind that TGH will come in for Williams, and I think he has to take Bell out. I have a feeling he might play Mehmeti but reckon he’ll ultimately go Weimann on the basis of that old LJ maxim of players that can be trusted - under pressure managers like experience 

What does Manning need?

It’s early, but I don’t think it’s necessarily “must win” - it is, however “must not lose”. And perhaps more importantly it needs to be more aggressive and front foot - there are different ways of winning/drawing/losing and I think he needs there to be some kind of assertive performance - or things will turn unless we’re winning in a passive manner (see below)

What’s the atmosphere?

Some like to say OTIB is not representative - it is. The feeling on here, and not just from “reactionary” posters is that something is very wrong both at board level, but increasingly from Liam - again, he didn’t create this scenario but his management in it is making it worse. I don’t see there being anything but encouragement pre game but unless there are early goals from passive play or an assertive performance, I’d say there will be rumblings around the half hour mark. Sunderland dominating will lead to it being very toxic very quickly, it’s just where we are currently.

Will Sykes play a full game?

Nope. He’ll be taken off on the hour for being tired, having just skinned seven Sunderland players and looking like the freshest player on the pitch.

Will we win?

Can’t see it. They’re coming off two good results, we’re in transition at best and it’s Mannings most difficult game to date. A positive draw is the best I think we can hope for here. One where performance is equally as important as result though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I do think we can win for two reasons, Dickie and Vyner. If we keep it solid at the back you can always nick a result. We'll need an improved performance and a slice of luck but worth remembering this is Sunderland, not Leicester... or Bayern. 

Yea they are Sunderland. A club that's just beaten two top 6 sides in a row. 

21 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Just had a flashback to the game a few seasons back, we were 3 up at half time if I recall correctly and hung on as it finished 3-3! 

On that game (which I think was 2018) I recall Famara handballing (clearly) to try and blag a hat trick and it being the start of a rather impressive loan spell by Lois Diony.

As a parent, however, what I more remember is that I allowed my then 9 year old daughter to swear as much as she wanted when we were back in the car to let out her frustration. Parenting.

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

On that game (which I think was 2018) I recall Famara handballing (clearly) to try and blag a hat trick and it being the start of a rather impressive loan spell by Lois Diony.

As a parent, however, what I more remember is that I allowed my then 9 year old daughter to swear as much as she wanted when we were back in the car to let out her frustration. Parenting.

My 5 year old thinks saying piston is a clever way of saying the p word.

• Haha 1

Sunderland have just beaten Leeds and West Brom. But both at home. They’ve actually won 4 out of 5 at home (I know right - when was the last time we did that?? Probably 2015 I’d imagine). 

Away from home they’ve lost 3 and drawn 3 of the last 6. 

Interestingly they have an average of 60% possession away from home. So the way we were playing under Pearson would likely have suited us against them this week, ie counterattacking team. 

Also interesting is that they’ve had 4 penalties in 10 of their away games. 

As long as we don’t do anything stupid I think we might do ok. 

I wonder if we may be better off with the caretaker still in charge before they inevitably appoint Will Still. The caretaker has got his 2 results, rarely do they do any better than that. 

Sunderland do get quite a few penalties. Albeit being a positive and attacking side it can play a role.

Their away form sounds sketchy then? Last season their away form outstripped their home form a bit, intriguingly.

A point wouldn't be a disaster but the prior games have put significant pressure on tbis and the next few.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They will most likely have a new boss by the weekend so on the back of 2 good results they could also have a new manager bounce. You'd imagine if it's Will Still there will be a buzz around their club. 

I fear we could be on the end of a hammering tbh. 

That reminds me… where’s our new manager bounce? I think I missed it. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Sunderland have just beaten Leeds and West Brom. But both at home. They’ve actually won 4 out of 5 at home (I know right - when was the last time we did that?? Probably 2015 I’d imagine). 

Away from home they’ve lost 3 and drawn 3 of the last 6. 

Interestingly they have an average of 60% possession away from home. So the way we were playing under Pearson would likely have suited us against them this week, ie counterattacking team. 

Also interesting is that they’ve had 4 penalties in 10 of their away games. 

As long as we don’t do anything stupid I think we might do ok. 

December 2018 to January 2019, we won 5 on the spin at home.

Snap your hand off for a point now, as I would have last night.

Need to stop a losing run & our home form hasn’t been great since the very start of Holden’s short spell.

25 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

That reminds me… where’s our new manager bounce? I think I missed it. 

I think it was against Boro. But even that was pretty shite. 

Worldie from TGH. Penalty and Sykes somehow scoring from an impossible angle. 

But maybe if we just give it some more time we might get that new manager bounce 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1