IGNORED

what would you pay for a direct train to west Ham

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Theres a train every half hour anyway to Paddington isn't there?

As someone whose daughter is at Uni in London I can confirm that’s pretty much the case.

Also because London gets a hugely disproportionate amount of the UK’s transport budget there are then numerous onward options to get to the former Olympic stadium.

Not really sure of the point of the question, therefore.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

Early 70s BR (as was) laid on specials to quite a few City away games. That included Charlton (South East London) using some lines to get round London rarely used by passengers. I think the fare wasn't much more than Paddington using a scheduled service.

BR also ran a special to Swindon despite frequent regular trains. The theory was that if wee all use the specials "It keeps hoopligans off the normal service trains".

Just now, 22A said:

Early 70s BR (as was) laid on specials to quite a few City away games. That included Charlton (South East London) using some lines to get round London rarely used by passengers. I think the fare wasn't much more than Paddington using a scheduled service.

BR also ran a special to Swindon despite frequent regular trains. The theory was that if wee all use the specials "It keeps hoopligans off the normal service trains".

Leyton Orient away back in the day. The train broke down and we were stuck in the middle of Salisbury Plain for what felt like hours and it was ******* freezing. We eventually got there at HT but were just in time to see our winner.

IIRC, those that were on it got a free train to Gillingham (?) by way of compensation.

• Haha 2
  • Robin 1

48 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Leyton Orient away back in the day. The train broke down and we were stuck in the middle of Salisbury Plain for what felt like hours and it was ******* freezing. We eventually got there at HT but were just in time to see our winner.

IIRC, those that were on it got a free train to Gillingham (?) by way of compensation.

I was on that train, nightmare trip and yes I think you are right about Gillingham.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Stratford station,NOT the  international one

Although a direct train would be difficult,a football special to London Paddington is possible.

What would you pay?

You are the expert NTTDs but how could there be a direct train without crashing through the barriers at Paddington?

10 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Stratford station,NOT the  international one

Although a direct train would be difficult,a football special to London Paddington is possible.

What would you pay?

I've paid 30 quid return for 3 of us on the Megabus. 

I shall then take a walk from Victoria down to the Thames where I'll board a Uberboat to take us on a trip along the Thames to the o2 arena where we shall disembark and head to Westherspoons for some beers. 

I may then get the cable car across the Thames and then take the DLR to Stratford. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

You are the expert NTTDs but how could there be a direct train without crashing through the barriers at Paddington?

[Trainspotter Alert!]

Physically it is now possible because the new Elizabeth Line (CrossRail) runs from west of Paddington direct to Stratford, it is connected end-on to the GW mainline and is built to mainline not tube dimensions.

I doubt the GWR IEP trains would fit through the Elizabeth Line tunnels though because of restrictive clearances and curvature but they would be needed to get from Bristol TM to Parkway on diesel power.

In theory I think it would be possible to run Bristol Parkway to Stratford using the new Elizabeth Line rolling stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I shall then take a walk from Victoria down to the Thames where I'll board a Uberboat to take us on a trip along the Thames to the o2 arena where we shall disembark and head to Westherspoons for some beers. 

I may then get the cable car across the Thames and then take the DLR to Stratford. 

Are you basing your travel itinerary on a Steve Martin film?

• Like 1

I don't think GWR will ever use their train sets and train crew to get from Bristol to Stratfor(or even Wembley

When the other lot went to Wembley there was a football special to London Paddington,and they were supplied with a FREE ticket to and from Wembley.

The stop blocks at Paddington:

IF, repeat IF, a GWR train WAS to go to Stratford it would come off the main line at Southall then on a very slow crawl through central london to stratford

Group save is available 2 for the price of three,get in quick as terms and conditions might change

Please reserve your seats soon,

like NOW

this can tumble into thinking lots of people are travelling and we need to put on extra trains/coach's

Refrain from booking with train line,in the event of a claim for any disruption, train line charge an admin fee,GWR does not

Get your tickets issued from Parson Street,its the same price

Make sure you get your lemonade crisps and chocky bars before you get to the station

On arrival at Paddington head for the Elizabeth line through the arch way on platform one with a direct service to stratford

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I don't think GWR will ever use their train sets and train crew to get from Bristol to Stratfor(or even Wembley

When the other lot went to Wembley there was a football special to London Paddington,and they were supplied with a FREE ticket to and from Wembley.

The stop blocks at Paddington:

IF, repeat IF, a GWR train WAS to go to Stratford it would come off the main line at Southall then on a very slow crawl through central london to stratford

Group save is available 2 for the price of three,get in quick as terms and conditions might change

Please reserve your seats soon,

like NOW

this can tumble into thinking lots of people are travelling and we need to put on extra trains/coach's

Refrain from booking with train line,in the event of a claim for any disruption, train line charge an admin fee,GWR does not

Get your tickets issued from Parson Street,its the same price

Make sure you get your lemonade crisps and chocky bars before you get to the station

On arrival at Paddington head for the Elizabeth line through the arch way on platform one with a direct service to stratford

Thanks Dad

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Jubilee line runs direct from North Greenwich (next to the O2) to Stratford. Then a 15 min walk through the Olympic Park to the Olympic Stadium. 

Of course you might enjoy the cable car trip (good luck to you if the wind is howling). But if you do get the dlr you can get off at West Ham, Abbey Road or Stratford High Street all of which are closer walks to the Olympic Stadium.