IGNORED

Mehmeti

GrahamC

Genuinely can’t work the bloke out.

Absolutely outstanding first half, really unlucky with the shot that hit the post & was causing them no end of problems. 8/10.

Second half a total passenger, one totally brainless bit of play in our box could have cost a goal, didn’t track his man at all, left Pring with far too much to do too often. Passes were hospital ones or too short. 3/10.

Weimann comes on, tracks his man, wins a decent number of challenges, closes down like his life depends on it, absolutely brilliant through ball to Cornick & loads of excellent team play.

Mehmeti cannot play for half a game, he needs to concentrate when we don’t have the ball or are under the cosh.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 3

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely outstanding first half, really unlucky with the shot that hit the post & was causing them no end of problems. 8/10.

Second half a total passenger, one totally brainless bit of play in our box could have cost a goal, didn’t track his man at all, left Pring with far too much to do too often. Passes were hospital ones or too short. 3/10.

Weimann comes on, tracks his man, wins a decent number of challenges, closes down like his life depends on it, absolutely brilliant through ball to Cornick & loads of excellent team play.

Mehmeti cannot play for half a game, he needs to concentrate when we don’t have the ball or are under the cosh.

I think it's the main reason we've been playing Bell so consistently. He was much better in the first half and even won a few takes rather than just making screening runs. At the moment it's maybe a question of whether we play him for the attacking threat and hope he develops the defensive side/coach that into him (as you say some positives first half today) or play Bell and look for the opposite? I'd probably argue he did just enough to merit another chance to start on Friday, but he needs to be shown the difference between his too halves today. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Another one to rovers 

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’d also add that I thought he defended well first half, and worked back. Makes the second half all the more bizarre as he did the “non performance” bit but as has been said, I think in the context of how he’s done so far, it’s a step overall in the right direction 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think “outstanding” is somewhat over the top. 

I feel like he's a player who has one clear strength to his game, i.e running at the opposition, and now he is trying to develop the rest, the team play, defensive work, the right pass, not cutting inside every single time. 

He is definitely getting better and has bags of potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Such a shame that shot hit the post, might have been a turning point in his career here. Don’t think he’s up to the standard at the moment though. 

46 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I think he deserves a fair chunk of minutes like bell has had ,some players don't just hit the ground running he may build up his confidence and not look back. 

Same as Szmodics, given little chance, tended to get used in a crisis or poor run, as I recall. with minutes may come consistency. Balance is, what risk/jeopardy in the meantime.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I think “outstanding” is somewhat over the top. 

Well in terms of the game & what he gave us I don’t think so.

As others have said his tracking back was very good, light years better than ever before & even apart from the run that saw him hit the post, he was a constant threat.

Best 45 I have seen from him in a City shirt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I didn't go today for the first time in a long time. But I will question your description of Weimann. 

Did he really close people down, track back, and make challenges? And thus change his entire game which generally relies on pointing at people?

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Chivs said:

I didn't go today for the first time in a long time. But I will question your description of Weimann. 

Did he really close people down, track back, and make challenges? And thus change his entire game which generally relies on pointing at people?

Yes he did.

He did exactly what the team needed when he came on.

What a dismal last comment, he’s scored 50 goals for us, presumably not by pointing.

• Like 6

As Winston Churchill once said:

”Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

What has this to do with Mehmeti? Well, he seems to be on a journey from when he signed. He had talent and skill but little application. Gradually he’s got better, so perhaps it’s the end of the beginning of his development 

• Like 1

First half good going forward but even then he often left Pring with a 3 on 1 of Pring versus Roberts, Pritchard and Huggins. How Sunderland didn’t score from those chances also says something about their lack of cutting edge up front.

Mehmeti offers something going forward but he has so much to learn in how to be a complete player and tracking back for the sake of the team in terms of defensive duties. The difference when Weimann came on second half was obvious.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I can’t fault Weimann today as won his tackles & helped us over the line 

Noticed very first thing he did after coming on was track his man, use his strength to hold him off & stop his run through to goal. Bet Pring was absolutely delighted to see him come on.

Totally get that he isn’t providing the goal threat of previous years but he’s a brilliant professional & that pass to Cornick was quality.

• Like 6