IGNORED

Hull City at home match thread

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The pressing triggers are becoming more apparent each game.  Can’t always execute perfectly, but you can see the intention.

Definitely they want the keeper to go long, so try to block the CBs in our 442 w/o the ball.  Knight and Conway trying to stop the CBs receiving, but not aggressively.

When the ball goes into the full-back, then they both shuffle across and try to squeeze that half of the pitch and we try to go tight on balls into midfield.  Trying to force them long or risky passes into midfield or winger / wide-forward.

The third pressing option occurs when the CB is forced a bit wider by the other CB or GK’s pass, ie outside of the lines of the 18 yard box, because all the angles for the CB get narrower.  There was one occasion last night (first half) where  Conway and Knight forced Jones into a wide right position and Mehmeti took his trigger to go aggressively tight to Christie at RB, Pring tight to Delap and TGH to Morton.  Everything spot on…apart from a great touch by Seri took James out.  But you have to give Seri credit, because otherwise it was a very cohesive press.

I thought the block & press were pretty good, but what I meant (probably didn't come across in my post) was I liked that the keeper took the opportunity to go long before he was forced to, and that we should do that on occasions.
Tommy takes up some good positions , on the shoulder and pulling between CB's with acres of grass behind him. Just every now and agin I'd like to see us go long or past TC and give him a run against the CB. We never got that early ball away to test the CB's on the ground enough. The only one I remember was Nahki, and that time the CB used his strength well and stopped Nahki getting past. 
There were several times the through ball was on, we can see it and it looked like the player on the ball was looking at "That" pass only to go back/sideways . I know the view is very different on the grass , but it makes some people think we are being over cautious.

• Like 3