IGNORED

all Sky live games to kick off at 12:30pm on saturdays

Never to the dark side

next season?

It seems that Sky have heard fans don't like to travel to away games on Fri/sat/sun/mon evenings when its live on sky.

Rumor has it, is that the FIVE weekend live championship games to be screened live by sky will all kick off at 12:30pm on the saturday

BT/TNT have the midday slot on Saturday, so maybe putting up five championship  up against one premier game might swing the viewing figures towards Sky

I don't make no bones about my liking for 12:30pm kick offs.

Okay you will set off in the dark, to make those long winter trips,but at least you have two hours of daylight on the journey home

The reason given for not showing any 3.00pm ko live is that "fans might stay at home to watch a game rather than attend their local match".

Dunno about you but watch Liv v Man U instead of watching City at AG; I for one won't be sat in front of the telly at 3.00pm. Presumably the TV authorities don't understand the meaning of the word supporters.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, 22A said:

The reason given for not showing any 3.00pm ko live is that "fans might stay at home to watch a game rather than attend their local match".

Dunno about you but watch Liv v Man U instead of watching City at AG; I for one won't be sat in front of the telly at 3.00pm. Presumably the TV authorities don't understand the meaning of the word supporters.

I don’t think they’re thinking of the die hards when they say this though.

Theres plenty of people who support two teams, or have City for example as their second team and go to a few games but actually would choose their prem team.

there will also always be those of us who’d rather travel 3 hours each way to physically be at the game than watch it on TV.

My biggest concern when they discuss 3pm live games is lower leagues and amateur football, it would definitely impact them if there were big games live on TV at 3pm.

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

next season?

It seems that Sky have heard fans don't like to travel to away games on Fri/sat/sun/mon evenings when its live on sky.

Rumor has it, is that the FIVE weekend live championship games to be screened live by sky will all kick off at 12:30pm on the saturday

BT/TNT have the midday slot on Saturday, so maybe putting up five championship  up against one premier game might swing the viewing figures towards Sky

I don't make no bones about my liking for 12:30pm kick offs.

Okay you will set off in the dark, to make those long winter trips,but at least you have two hours of daylight on the journey home

Wasn't this all announced many months ago, or has something changed?

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

Part of my match day enjoyment ( often the only enjoyable part) is my pre match pint, don’t like 12.30kick offs

I'm with you Mr Fox. Can't stand early kick offs, completely throws the day out, and feels weird. I actually really like the 5pm kick offs as well, more time in the pub, beer afterwards, then on to the Curry House.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Wasn't this all announced many months ago, or has something changed?

English Football League (EFL) clubs have unanimously voted to accept a record UK£935 million (US$1.2 billion) deal with UK pay-TV broadcaster Sky Sports that will see more than 1,000 matches broadcast a season, but which keeps the Saturday blackout in place.

The five-year domestic deal for the organising body for the second, third and fourth tiers of English soccer, which is made up of guaranteed payments of UK£895 million (US$1.1 billion) and UK£40 million (US$50.5 million) in marketing rights, will begin in 2024/25 and run to the end of the 2028/29 season.

It represents a 50 per cent increase on the league’s current deal with Sky which expires at the end of next season.

Altogether 1,059 league, EFL Cup and EFL Trophy matches will be shown live either on a Sky main channel or via a Sky streaming platform, replacing the iFollow service for domestic viewers.

Streaming platform DAZN had been keen to acquire the rights to screen all EFL matches and bring an end to the Saturday blackout period between 2.45pm and 5.15pm.

The blackout stays in place in the Sky deal, but more matches are available to stream, with six games across the Championship, League One and League Two now set to kick off at 12.30pm each Saturday.

The deal means 26 out of 36 matches will still kick off at Saturday 3pm – seven Championship matches plus 19 across Leagues One and Two.

Don't think having 5 games at 12.30 makes sense from a broadcasting point of view, and I would be amazed if the reason they are doing that is to be considerate of the fans. 😂 I will be interested to see if there is a stronger reaction to this when more fans realise how many of their games are due to be moved around next season?

However I noticed that in the 2nd German division they have no Saturday afternoon games at all, with 2/3 early kick offs and the other 1/3 evening kick offs spread over the weekend, they still manage some very high crowds so maybe the strong reaction I expect with the EFL next season isn't going to happen.

Edited by Baba Yaga

Z Z

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I don’t think they’re thinking of the die hards when they say this though.

Theres plenty of people who support two teams, or have City for example as their second team and go to a few games but actually would choose their prem team.

there will also always be those of us who’d rather travel 3 hours each way to physically be at the game than watch it on TV.

My biggest concern when they discuss 3pm live games is lower leagues and amateur football, it would definitely impact them if there were big games live on TV at 3pm.

It absolutely messes with kids football as it gets in the way of both morning and afternoon games.

For example the impact of the City women v Man Utd game kicking off at 12.30 was a load of girls games didn't happen that day as clubs couldn't raise a side. Their players normally play in the morning and then go to watch games in the afternoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Don't think having 5 games at 12.30 makes sense from a broadcasting point of view, and I would be amazed if the reason they are doing that is to be considerate of the fans. 😂 I will be interested to see if there is a stronger reaction to this when more fans realise how many of their games are due to be moved around next season?

However I noticed that in the 2nd German division they have no Saturday afternoon games at all, with 2/3 early kick offs and the other 1/3 evening kick offs spread over the weekend, they still manage some very high crowds so maybe the strong reaction I expect with the EFL next season isn't going to happen.

sounds to me like Sky (as with "Super Sundays" etc...), are controlling this for commercial purposes

2 hours ago, phantom said:

It will be interesting to see how this impacts on season ticket sales next season

Or the impact on people complaining about empty seats!

I haven’t worked out how many of our home matches might be moved (on average). That said I’d prefer a Sat 3pm ko moved to Sat 1230 than moved to lunchtime Sunday or a midweek evening. Better if it stayed at 3pm though. 

• Admin
12 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

8 hours ago, Countryfile said:

The deal means 26 out of 36 matches will still kick off at Saturday 3pm – seven Championship matches plus 19 across Leagues One and Two.

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Am I being thick? Why would they want 5 games all live kicking off at the same time? Not even I can watch more than 2 at once....

See the above by @Countryfile, what @Never to the dark sidementions isn't what was originally announced 

The five games he mentioned were going to be spread over the weekend slots and not all at 1230, with those not shown live being the seven Saturday afternoon 3pm games 

• Thanks 1

It mentions in the article that this deal will replace iFollow for domestic customers. Does this mean Robins TV will only be available abroad? Or is every match not available anyway? I don't tend to use it so not really sure what matches are on and which aren't.

Edited by richwwtk

16 hours ago, phantom said:

See the above by @Countryfile, what @Never to the dark sidementions isn't what was originally announced 

The five games he mentioned were going to be spread over the weekend slots and not all at 1230, with those not shown live being the seven Saturday afternoon 3pm games 

Can't see them all being at 12.30, as above I thought they were to be spread over the Fri to Monday period, from a Sky customers prospective all at the same time would be rubbish (bar there Opening Day Boxing Day etc plan)..

• Admin
1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

Can't see them all being at 12.30, as above I thought they were to be spread over the Fri to Monday period, from a Sky customers prospective all at the same time would be rubbish (bar there Opening Day Boxing Day etc plan)..

Err, that's what I said 👍

My honest opinion of Sky's attitude towards the EFL is we(Sky) would prefer to have the contract to have live Championship games than either BBC/ITV/C4 or C5

I think sky covering these games is an irritant to them

If the planned kick offs are fri/sat/sun/mon

That means that the three? game/s played on Sundays and Mondays would need another highlights show like MOTD2

I think ITV would want its highlights programme on as soon as possible,9pm Saturday night like now.

A question for all of us,do you want the EFL highlights show all the way through,I am only interested in Bristol City

Maybe ITV could go back to a regional West/Wales/South west regional highlights programme

So,look forward to loads of 12:30pm kick offs next season,my concern is that season ticket sales for all clubs could fall.

Although I don't attend the Sky AGM anymore

ITV have there AGM  in late April which I will be attending.

So what would you request if you were at the ITV AGM