IGNORED

Simple question

Robbored

Ferguson said it AFAIK but it isn’t true for a few simple reasons.

- Managers times at clubs are often transient, but contracts have to be paid up in the event of a sacking (unless clauses). Take Manning - he’s on a 3.5year deal. If he screws up royally and we get relegated in May, then I’ve no doubt he’d be sacked and the club would have a liability of 3 years.

- Maybe not here, but higher up the pyramid the merchandise recoup from players is massive. Nobody’s going round with Roy Hodgson on a poster but you can bet there is a lot of Michael Olise goods sold. Commercially players make more for clubs than managers on a general basis

- Players have value as sell on. Managers don’t typically. Eddie Howe is unlikely to get poached but Alexander Isak would fetch north of £50m if sold. If you have an asset that much you pay him accordingly.

Ferguson was an exception as he pretty much guaranteed success so his value to the club was more than any player. Most managers aren’t near that ballpark. The only ones it may be true of currently - but still unlikely - are Pep and Klopp 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Not the answer I was looking for Dave………:cool2:

He simply meant that in his opinion - and experience - the manager needs to have total control and being the highest paid reflects that. There's obviously no rule,  just his perspective.

AF spoke a lot in the many books written by and about him regarding the need for total control to manage effectively, he ruthlessly got rid of any player who he felt tried in whatever way to undermine his control - Beckham, Stamm, Keane, Van Nistelroy, etc.

• Like 1

Sir Alex Ferguson signed a contract with Manchester United in 2010 that ensured he would receive a higher salary than any of his players, the Scot has revealed in his latest book.

In his new publication "Leading," to be published on Tuesday, Ferguson says the Glazer family that own United and then-chief executive David Gill asked him how he felt about the fact that Wayne Rooney was about to get a big pay rise by signing a new deal following protracted negotiations that took place while he was also linked with other clubs in the media.

The former United manager recalls: "I told them I did not think it fair that Rooney should earn twice what I made and [joint-chairman] Joel Glazer immediately said: 'I totally agree with you but what should we do?'"

"It was simple. We just agreed that no player should be paid more than me.