IGNORED

Give the man some credit

Bs4Red

1 hour ago, MattWSM said:

5 points from the next 3 going in to the West Ham game will be an excellent return of 11 points from 5 games

Mr Boring here. One game at a time for me. Bah humbug 😝

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I thought he was late with his substitutions but all three made quite an impact. Their fresh energy certainly helped.

On the radio interview he explained that we were building momentum so felt he didn’t want to break that up. 

51 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s the best (overall) performance since he took charge IMO. Listening to him on Radio Bristol I pretty much saw the first half the same way - after the first ten excellent until the goal and then we kind of sat back and let them take the game on. Second half we had a lot of ball without much penetration (21 shots is misleading - I think there was one save of note outside of the goals), but the sheer territorial press we made warranted the luck we had on both goals - we had 10 men in their half constantly and took the risk of being hit on the break. 

It’s a different way of playing to what we did against QPR, Boro, Norwich and screams evolution as opposed to revolution. Which is exactly the right approach and definite credit to the manager is deserved.

We got ragged around the half hour. And I know it’s stupid but I blame “bounce around”. It’s cringy. And I think the players lose concentration. It has happened too many times now that we concede on or after the chant. If I’m being honest it boils my piss. It’s also a Johnson thing, those days are over.

Bah humbug again!!

As for the game itself I really enjoyed it. We never let Hull suck the life out of the second half.

We often build our territory from Matty James in these games. But today he had an off day (could he have been one suffering from illness) and it showed that others can drive us.

We thoroughly deserved the win.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Fans are extremely fickle even the most staunch pearson supporters won't give pearson a second thought if manning keeps winning games great back to back wins and we have shown a few sides to our game in both wins long may this continue!

True, but as I posted earlier today, we are Bristol City fans, not manager fans, even if we really like previous one.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Two away match at Vicarage Rd and St Andrews, both below us in the table both winnable. 4 back to back wins would be fantastic 

I vaguely remember City winning 9 or 10 consecutive wins some years ago in L1. A club record iirc.

Anyone else remember it?

I thought we jointly held the record of 14 wins in a row until a few years ago.

Edited by pillred
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Manning arrives and we start getting penalties! Just have to wait now for the EFL investigation into why Bristol City are being awarded penalties when the laws clearly state we shouldn't receive any. Seriously LM is doing well right now, deserves credit and long may it continue. 

The official EFL “Pearson Penalty Embargo” has clearly been lifted and City will now be showered with penalties at a rate of 1 every home game! 

You do have to wonder and maybe Manning is just lucky rather than good. Was Napoleon’s preference in generals, so perhaps that time in Guernsey has had an effect on Lansdown, wishing for the same in Head Coaches!

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

Had a fair bit of luck in these last 3 home wins but it's really good to get the results so he can get to work with the pressure on him at reasonable levels. I moaned about the subs in Blackburn game but tonight his subs changed the game. Good interview with Mehmeti on radio Bristol too he is one doing better with the new boss.

Where was the luck tonight or v Sunderland ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Worth remembering most had no issue with Manning and are just pissed with the board. There are a few who turned on LM fast but that was the minority. Excellent pair of results, rare back to back wins and he’s doing well. I’m happy we went for him.

Still want them to sell, still think Nige was sacked wrongly. But very happy tonight 🔴⚪❤️

Agree with this. 

We all want manning to do well because that means the club succeeds. It’s a non question.

it’s nice to see his management skills affect the game too. He got his subs right. 

I’m warming. As said above it was a little more front footed tonight and Sunderland was an excellent watch - I think we were fortunate then to win when a draw was a fair result reflecting performances 

Edited by 38MC

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mr Boring here. One game at a time for me. Bah humbug 😝

On the radio interview he explained that we were building momentum so felt he didn’t want to break that up. 

We got ragged around the half hour. And I know it’s stupid but I blame “bounce around”. It’s cringy. And I think the players lose concentration. It has happened too many times now that we concede on or after the chant. If I’m being honest it boils my piss. It’s also a Johnson thing, those days are over.

Bah humbug again!!

As for the game itself I really enjoyed it. We never let Hull suck the life out of the second half.

We often build our territory from Matty James in these games. But today he had an off day (could he have been one suffering from illness) and it showed that others can drive us.

We thoroughly deserved the win.

Agree , thought we played well & agree about the bounce around , the tinpottiest of chants . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Like it or not, this team appears to be playing for him. Whether it's something that the previous management have instilled in the team remains to be seen but it's a good habit. Coyr! 

It’s nothing to do about the team playing for the new manager. It’s the style of football he wants to play. The team played for Pearson 100% just as they are for manning.

• Like 1

Manning deserves lots of credit already imo.

Let's be honest, lots of us, me included,were thinking who is this bloke to replace Nigel Pearson and so unfairly?

Well he has, and to his credit , seems to have put all the noise behind him and just gotten on with the job.

Yes, he isn't exactly Mr exciting,  but in lots of ways  that is refreshing in itself.

I wish you all the best, Liam

COYR  and let's all get behind him and the lads in 2024.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 4

I am warming to Manning must say.

Winning absolutely helps but enjoyed his pre match.

Let's be fair the situation he entered, none of it was his fault. However he seems to be doing a good job and perhaps in some ways getting the luck that eluded us under NP.

Sykes post, wonder save from Cornick..0-0.

Cornick v Ipswich hits post and rolls along line.

Good General v lucky General? Perhaps Manning is both- in no way a dig but NP wasn't exactly blessed with great fortune.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

What surprises me is that Tommy is really not that quick when up against bigger centre backs marking him, he rarely beats them for pace.....

He can't play up front on his own very well at all. It's a swear word to slag Conway off on here though but he hasn't shown me he's good enough the last 2 months.

• Like 3

4 home games. 3 wins. 9 points. 
Average of 13 shots per game. 
Average of 5.5 shots on target per game. 

The first 7 home games under NP. 
2 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses. 8 points. 
Average of 10.8 shots per game. 
Average or 3.2 shots on target per game. 

Those are metrics I like to see. 

Regarding the penalties. I’d be interested if Fevs had the stats - our 7 home games under NP vs the 4 under LM as to how many ‘box entries’ we had. 
I know it’s a term people don’t like, but I wonder if we get more penalties because we’re in and around the box more and causing more pressure. 
Don’t know if the stats would bear that out, but it certainly ‘feels’ like it. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

What I’ve been saying for a long time. 
The home record, but more so the home performances, have not been good enough for a number of years. 
The 4 home games under LM so far have all been very good games and have given more entertainment and excitement than we’ve had for a long time. 
It’s so important to get the home crowd happy. It’s been dull for too long. I’ve enjoyed the 4 games so far. 
Hopefully to continue …… 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, CityReds said:

Oh cumon Mr Grinch you must be a little toasty inside 😆

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’d dead happy tonight.  I just can’t look beyond my “one game at a time” mantra.

Little things for me tonight.  Manning has got back to level wins n losses, that was no easy ask 2 games ago.  City are back to level wins n losses too.  We played well in good chunks, not just one spell in one half.

This tweet summed up that:

I was disappointed we didn’t weather their 15 minute spell first half.  We got ragged with and without the ball.  We had some let-offs before their equaliser.  But I liked that we didn’t let Hull suck the life out of the game.  You know those games where we never get going, the opposition force us into niggly fouls and we lose any momentum.  That didn’t happen, nor did we panic despite the crowd getting a bit impatient about our press at times.

So I shall sleep well tonight. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

You say that about penalties @Harry and like you I eagerly await the stats by Dave, but some of the ones we had turned down by NP especially in his first season or 2..total joke.

I remember there being a compilation on Twitter of about 10 ‘shouts’. 
I thought maybe only 2 of them were ‘definites’. 
About 3 of the them were Scott going to ground. Which he did well and got free kicks outside the box but was never gonna get those inside the box. 

I just have a feeling we are getting in there more. Or at least having spells where we are putting the opposition under pressure for longer. 
As a counter attacking team before we didn’t seem to have many periods of sustained pressure or possession in the opposition final 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I remember there being a compilation on Twitter of about 10 ‘shouts’. 
I thought maybe only 2 of them were ‘definites’. 
About 3 of the them were Scott going to ground. Which he did well and got free kicks outside the box but was never gonna get those inside the box. 

I just have a feeling we are getting in there more. Or at least having spells where we are putting the opposition under pressure for longer. 
As a counter attacking team before we didn’t seem to have many periods of sustained pressure or possession in the opposition final 3rd. 

This is fair, but 3 nailed on well I thought so anyway we may differ.

Nottingham Forest Home, 2021

QPR Home- 2021

Watford Home- The head high boot, last game pre WC. Good intense game too, we played very well. Perhaps should've won irrespective of officiating.

27 minutes ago, 2015 said:

He can't play up front on his own very well at all. It's a swear word to slag Conway off on here though but he hasn't shown me he's good enough the last 2 months.

I liked TC’s performance tonight, very sharp…as per another post I made earlier.

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

4 home games. 3 wins. 9 points. 
Average of 13 shots per game. 
Average of 5.5 shots on target per game. 

The first 7 home games under NP. 
2 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses. 8 points. 
Average of 10.8 shots per game. 
Average or 3.2 shots on target per game. 

Those are metrics I like to see. 

Regarding the penalties. I’d be interested if Fevs had the stats - our 7 home games under NP vs the 4 under LM as to how many ‘box entries’ we had. 
I know it’s a term people don’t like, but I wonder if we get more penalties because we’re in and around the box more and causing more pressure. 
Don’t know if the stats would bear that out, but it certainly ‘feels’ like it. 

Here’s all games.

IMG_9329.jpeg.7f5a560d7ef2287380c0a3de352103f8.jpeg

and here’s home games:

IMG_9330.jpeg.1cb0ac8bece759c33d2f535106dbf4a8.jpeg

I’ll try and remember to look again after tomorrow’s updates to Wyscout.

It was a strange game. Both teams seemed to switch off when they went ahead. I think Manning is still getting his ideas across. You can see that City are developing a possession based game and then moving the ball quickly when the space opens up. At times we do give the ball away cheaply though. Credit to the players for turning it around. Anyone who takes points of us will have earned them. 

2 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

I too remain a big NP fan, but there is a but… NP created the foundation, putting into place multiple foundations BUT, was he the right person to take us forward? Possibly.

However, the person I most respect in business told me he had a maximum 2 year shelf life. By that time he’d ruffled so many feathers, it’s time to move on. Time for a fresh face.

You might want to have a word with them given he was here and at Leicester more than two years.

Some of the stuff against LM has been harsh, but generally understandable. It’s not often any manager takes over from someone the fans actually wanted to keep.

Season has a long way to go, there will be a lot of judgements along the way but let’s see where we are in May.

4 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

To be be fair, I think he’s tied to reinvent the wheel early doors and it hasn’t worked or he’s realised thats Going to take time or different personnel. Back to basics we go. Ground out 3 points (Pearson style - whey!). Get to 50 points we go again with Manningball. 

Maybe “back to basics” in some aspects but I saw some clear difference today to NP’s style. Braver forward passing and intricate triangles.

It’s not the finished article by any stretch of the imagination but that was definitely signs of LM’s style being implemented in spells

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

I agree. I said the players we have aren't the best at being a possession based side but i'll give credit to LM as tonight we were impressive, and the subs spot on.

Wells gives the wide men so much more space by putting himself about far better than Conway does.

I thought similar too, perhaps he just needs a bit more time with them.

As per my previous post, clear signs of a new style being implemented in spells.

Back to back home wins. Is this another false dawn or the start of something. In the last 2 years, first under Pearson and now under Manning, we've seen City make progress in recruitment, in how we integrate young (and not so young) players into the team, in mentality and culture, and in developing a recognisable identity and style of play. We know however, that if we're to sustain that progress and turn it into points and league position, to hopefully propel us to the play offs and beyond, we must do something about a home record that only the generous could describe as bang average. Far from being a fortress Ashton Gate is more like a holiday camp with Welcome, have a good day, written in large letters. I can only hope that the times they are a changin' and we will see many more home wins this season. 

8 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Superb subs, another top 6 side beaten. Back to back wins for the first time since Feb. 
Slowly but surely the man is building HIS team. 

Whether you want him in or don’t, believe what he’s building, get behind it. 

Christmas has just got that little bit sweeter. 

Long may it continue