IGNORED

what piece of local football history did this front cover announce?

Never to the dark side

46 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

The Gilette Cup Final shown on the top right of the cover took place on the 5th of Sept 1970 if that's any help to anyone.

I've got no ******* idea what this is all about?

Yes that is the week this edition came out .

Did one of these people ( presumably they are famous ) buy a football club in the north ?

Edited by Markthehorn

As an avid follower of the way NTTDS thinks, I am willing to bet it was the first HTV West Soccer Special that week, or something exciting like that.

Clues:

• Apart from round trip flights to Newcastle, John's other claim to fame is his incredible record-keeping and reporting of TV coverage of Bristol football
  • He has given us the front cover of an issue of the Radio Times but hidden the date, which @Midlands Robin has traced to August/September 1970
  • HTV West started in 1970
  • On the odd week then HTV West started to show its own "Soccer Special" highlights rather than LWT's "The Big Match" (I got this off Google, obvs)
  • This is exactly the sort of thing NTTDS would like to know about and would probably want a copy of the exact Radio Times listing, for his collection

Case closed.

Or if I'm wrong, the answer is Dame Margaret Rutherford looks like a half inflated Benny Lennartsson in a silly hat.

il_1588xN.5379044736_f3ve.jpg

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

As an avid follower of the way NTTDS thinks, I am willing to bet it was the first HTV West Soccer Special that week, or something exciting like that.

Clues:

• Apart from round trip flights to Newcastle, John's other claim to fame is his incredible record-keeping and reporting of TV coverage of Bristol football
  • He has given us the front cover of an issue of the Radio Times but hidden the date, which @Midlands Robin has traced to August/September 1970
  • HTV West started in 1970
  • On the odd week then HTV West started to show its own "Soccer Special" highlights rather than LWT's "The Big Match" (I got this off Google, obvs)
  • This is exactly the sort of thing NTTDS would like to know about and would probably want a copy of the exact Radio Times listing, for his collection

Case closed.

Or if I'm wrong, the answer is Dame Margaret Rutherford looks like a half inflated Benny Lennartsson in a silly hat.

il_1588xN.5379044736_f3ve.jpg

Htv listings would not have been in the radio times ole pretty sure it was the tv times for itv etc..... My guess is motd in colour for the first time...... 

• Like 1

Didn't Radio Bristol start in 1970?

Seeing as it's the Radio Times and the North East Edition is publicizing BBC Radio Durham, maybe the local copy NTTDS has is advertising the first Radio Bristol local sports coverage on a Saturday afternoon as it's near the start of the football season date wise for 1970

Edited by handsofclay

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Seeing as it's the Radio Times and the North East Edition is publicizing BBC Radio Durham, maybe the local copy NTTDS has is advertising the first Radio Bristol local sports coverage on a Saturday afternoon as it's near the start of the football season date wise for 1970

Not the opening of parson st station is it? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Just looked it up and you’re bang on.  Radio Bristol started Sept 1970.

• Thanks 1