IGNORED

Sam Allison

ashton_fan

Sam Allison will be the first black referee to officiate a Premier League game today for the first time for 15 years. According to media stories he used to play for us, but I can't find anything about it online, I have no memory of him and I doubt he ever appeared for the first team. Can anyone else remember him being here?

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Quite the rise as he has barely refereed a Champ game 

Fast tracked just as Rebecca Welch was

Its no surprise as Howard Webb was previously a police sergeant and fast tracking is a fairly common practice in the police.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

According to media stories he used to play for us, but I can't find anything about it online, I have no memory of him and I doubt he ever appeared for the first team. Can anyone else remember him being here?

Formed a great partnership up front with Junior Bent.... Remember him very clearly

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Formed a great partnership up front with Junior Bent.... Remember him very clearly

You joke, but I'll bet that some idiot of a journalist had confused him with the Chief and the rest have just followed on. The article that says he played for City also mentions him playing for Swindon.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Calculus said:

You joke, but I'll bet that some idiot of a journalist had confused him with the Chief and the rest have just followed on. The article that says he played for City also mentions him playing for Swindon.

I thought that, but they’ve obviously got their info from the Premier League website that says he started at Swindon and moved to us.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I could only find a record of actual appearances for Chippenham Town.

He played for England schoolboys so it looks like he moved around as a youth prospect but didn't make the league grade, hence going into refereeing to keep up his participation in football.

He played for Bath City under Paul Bodin, he is from Melksham and related to Fitzroy Simpson who did play a few games for City. 

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fast tracked just as Rebecca Welch was

Rebecca Welches fast tracking has taken fifteen years. She was also an elite EUFA women's referee

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Quite the rise as he has barely refereed a Champ game 

He refereed us against Norwich, what more experience do you need?  Seriously I wish him the best of luck today and hope he gives confidence to other aspiring referees 

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swede said:

In today's world, I really don't know why anybody should be mentioning this. What has the colour of his skin tone got to do with him being any good as a referee?

Nothing.

It’s worth mentioning as it proves the point that anyone can - and should do it without fear of prejudice? It might lead the way for others who may fear discrimination of whatever sort for whatever ‘reason’.

When people from other minority groups are qualified enough and good enough they too could get elevated to that level - then it will become the norm to see them regularly and then - there won’t be any need to mention it on here no more than a referee who has ginger hair etc  

The OP didn’t say about how good he was as a ref other than an inference that he was good enough to referee in the Prem. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Sam Allison will be the first black referee to officiate a Premier League game today for the first time for 15 years. According to media stories he used to play for us, but I can't find anything about it online, I have no memory of him and I doubt he ever appeared for the first team. Can anyone else remember him being here?

From efl.com:

‘Having started his journey with Swindon Town, Allison moved on to the likes of Bristol City, Bournemouth and Exeter City, even making a handful of appearances for England schoolboys and representing Great Britain.

He eventually dropped down into the semi-professional game with spells at Clubs including Bath City, Chippenham Town and Salisbury City. It was during one of these spells that he began toying with the idea of trying his hand at refereeing.’

I used to know Sam really well, but lost contact over the years. Has always been heavily involved in local football in Wiltshire running 5 a side leagues, soccer schools etc.

He was at the Swindon school of excellence, and I believe he was on our books but never made an appearance, could be wrong. Wayne Allison is his cousin I think and Fitzroy Simpson his uncle?

Watched him many times at Chippenham, on his day completely unplayable at that level could tell he had a higher pedigree, other days you barely knew he was there.

He started refereeing at the very bottom, literally Chippenham & District Sunday league and has slowly worked his way up - albeit fast tracked a little over the last few years. 

Reffed a couple of games I played, honestly thought he was terrible, but he was just starting out then. Once booked me for diving which was a clear pen, never forgiven him. 🤣

Great bloke though, wish him the best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Maybe due to them not wanting to do it or simply by not being good enough

It's a non story really and only in this box ticking world we live in does it become relevant 

I would doubt that there are any bars to entry.

I suspect it's because referees receive abuse and ethnic referees probably receive more so a higher number drop out and fewer start in the first place.

My take on this story is that the FA wants more referees so if they can increase participation by any group then they will release a PR story to do it, and on the quiet news day that is Boxing Day the press will run with it.

I have never wanted to do this, I have only ever known one person who has, to my mind it's a thankless task.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I used to know Sam really well, but lost contact over the years. Has always been heavily involved in local football in Wiltshire running 5 a side leagues, soccer schools etc.

He was at the Swindon school of excellence, and I believe he was on our books but never made an appearance, could be wrong. Wayne Allison is his cousin I think and Fitzroy Simpson his uncle?

Watched him many times at Chippenham, on his day completely unplayable at that level could tell he had a higher pedigree, other days you barely knew he was there.

He started refereeing at the very bottom, literally Chippenham & District Sunday league and has slowly worked his way up - albeit fast tracked a little over the last few years. 

Reffed a couple of games I played, honestly thought he was terrible, but he was just starting out then. Once booked me for diving which was a clear pen, never forgiven him. 🤣

Great bloke though, wish him the best.

Great story cheers for sharing 

• Like 1