IGNORED

Hinshelwood

cidered abroad

51 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Jack Hinshelwood scored for Brighton this evening.

His Great Grandfather Wally played for City from 1956 to 1960.

And his father, grandfather and a couple of cousins have all played professionally at decent levels.

Now that is a real football family.

I believe there's an Otiber of that name as well...@hinshelwood 

8 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

Now that's a worthy piece of trivia. 

Well played from overseas.

Sorry to have bothered you.

But having watched the great-grandfather play for City and provide goals for Atyeo and others in a decent Second Division team and then seeing or reading about the various offspring playing league football for clubs like Crystal Palace, I find it very interesting that five generations of the same family have made it to top league status.

A very rare football achievement.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

When I was a young lad Wally was my favourite player. I remember him being outstanding when we played Blackpool in the cup and the great Stanley Matthews was playing. Distant fond memories.

Thanks @Frenchay Red

I was there for that match. Biggest crowd at Ashton Gate in my lifetime of 42,594.

I went to BGS and we had lessons on Saturday mornings. Our Form Master gave three of us an early end to school because we had tickets.

And one more for Red Alligator. Wally Hinshelwood played 149 games for City so a significant part of our history.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks @Frenchay Red

I was there for that match. Biggest crowd at Ashton Gate in my lifetime of 42,594.

I went to BGS and we had lessons on Saturday mornings. Our Form Master gave three of us an early end to school because we had tickets.

And one more for Red Alligator. Wally Hinshelwood played 149 games for City so a significant part of our history.

I just looked up the date. 24/1/59

I was 10 and peering through the railings in the covered end, with my parents stood behind me. Hope today's youngsters hang on to their special memories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks @Frenchay Red

Tickets C A, no tickets for us but to make sure we got in we were at the Ashton Rd turnstiles at 10.00. am queuing for them opening at mid-day. When the huge crowd started piling in we were lifted over the railings and sat around the side.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks @Frenchay Red

Ditto - I was at BGS too, but didn't get given any time off that day

• Haha 1

Mr Osborne was still there when I started at BGS in 1969, he become a Housemaster iirc.

You're right about some of the teachers - some right oddballs with sadistic tendencies looking back, although there were some really excellent ones too like Mr. Booker, Mr. Dehn, Mr. Trott and my Housemaster Bunny Warren.

Often saw the Sergeant, who used to dish out the 'beatings', at AG.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

But having watched the great-grandfather play for City and provide goals for Atyeo and others in a decent Second Division team and then seeing or reading about the various offspring playing league football for clubs like Crystal Palace, I find it very interesting that five generations of the same family have made it to top league status.

My comments were meant sincerely. Sorry for giving the wrong impression!

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks @Frenchay Red

I'm not convinced @Red_Alligator was being sarcastic as you seem to think, it sounded to me like he was thanking you for an interesting bit of football trivia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I remember seeing him as well, good player. good to see the skil handed down the generations.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Mr Osborne was still there when I started at BGS in 1969, he become a Housemaster iirc.

You're right about some of the teachers - some right oddballs with sadistic tendencies looking back, although there were some really excellent ones too like Mr. Booker, Mr. Dehn, Mr. Trott and my Housemaster Bunny Warren.

I too was at BGS, 1958 - 64. Bunny Warren was my first form master, great teacher and good bloke. Messrs Booker, Dehn, Osborne and Trott were housemasters along with mine, Graham Lucas. Non footballing school at the time (apart from the Prep School) so rugby or hockey. Two hours of woodwork on a Saturday morning left me losing the will to live, and couldn't wait to get home to Ashton for my football fix.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Red Moseley said:

I too was at BGS, 1958 - 64. Bunny Warren was my first form master, great teacher and good bloke. Messrs Booker, Dehn, Osborne and Trott were housemasters along with mine, Graham Lucas. Non footballing school at the time (apart from the Prep School) so rugby or hockey. Two hours of woodwork on a Saturday morning left me losing the will to live, and couldn't wait to get home to Ashton for my football fix.

I was in Lucas's house too, and I think we must be exact contemporaries as I was there 1953-64 (including Junior School). I missed so many matches at Ashton Gate because we often had games on Saturday afternoons. So frustrating, playing Rugby in the mud and rain on Failand and hearing the roars from the Gate ( yes, there were roars in those days).

1 hour ago, Atyeo's lift said:

I was in Lucas's house too, and I think we must be exact contemporaries as I was there 1953-64 (including Junior School). I missed so many matches at Ashton Gate because we often had games on Saturday afternoons. So frustrating, playing Rugby in the mud and rain on Failand and hearing the roars from the Gate ( yes, there were roars in those days).

Looks like we were contemporaries. Name's Richard Powell. Fortunately was not quite good enough to make school teams on Saturdays so could make the City. Enjoyed the Failand/Golden Hill mud on Tuesdays or Thursdays though!!

2 minutes ago, Red Moseley said:

Looks like we were contemporaries. Name's Richard Powell. Fortunately was not quite good enough to make school teams on Saturdays so could make the City. Enjoyed the Failand/Golden Hill mud on Tuesdays or Thursdays though!!

Hi Richard, I'm sorry but the name doesn't ring a bell, but maybe that's due to age! I'm Steve Bumstead; I don't think I made a school team very often, 3rd XV mostly but I seem to remember we had house matches most Saturday afternoons. Perhaps the old memory is letting me down again.

Another family member, Wally’s grandson, is the long serving manager of Worthing fc.  A very effective manager in non league.  A good recruiter of quality players.  Always puzzled me that we seem to have no contact with him and his set up.  They are only two divisions behind you know who., and doing well.

21 hours ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Hi Richard, I'm sorry but the name doesn't ring a bell, but maybe that's due to age! I'm Steve Bumstead; I don't think I made a school team very often, 3rd XV mostly but I seem to remember we had house matches most Saturday afternoons. Perhaps the old memory is letting me down again.

Hi Steve, I remember you. Played some house rugby with you. You were a powerful hard running centre iirc. Didn'y you live in Southleigh Road Westbury?

Ha! Hard running centre eh? I mostly remember standing around shivering but I did play centre and also flanker on occasion. I don't recall Mr Lucas being very enthusiastic about my playing but I was looking at my old school reports the other day and he gave me a very kindly farewell on my final one, saying I helped with coaching the juniors which I don't remember at all. Sorry not to recall you, but as I said, my memory isn't what it was and I was looking at a photo on the BGS archive last week of all the teachers in my final year and I only recognised two or three of them.

Sorry, forgot to say that I did live in Southfield Road, Westbury in those days. Down in Devon now.

On 29/12/2023 at 11:13, Nogbad the Bad said:

I must say, I don’t recall Mr. Osborne, unless he was the Housemaster replaced by Mr. Lucas.

Fortunately, I don’t recall any sadistic teachers, although I do recall the excellent ones you mention.

I never really had any close dealings with Messrs. Lucas (Blue), Trott (Green) or Warren (Yellow and, if I recall correctly, a keen ornithologist), but I do remember warmly Messrs. Booker (who, purely by chance, I met some twenty years ago, with his wife and daughter ambling around the Trocadéro esplanade in Paris) and, of course, the inimitable Eric Dean - do you remember his shoes?

The late Eric Dehn was my form master, French teacher and, though I probably didn’t realise it at the time, in addition to being my favourite ever teacher, one of the nicest men I have ever met - truly, a gentleman and a man of whom I still think of fondly.

On 29/12/2023 at 16:35, Atyeo's lift said:

Yes, I had Mr Osborne as a form and German master too. Good bloke.

I never studied German, sticking with Latin until O Level, and can’t really recall him, unless he was perhaps an elderly, bald man with glasses?

On 29/12/2023 at 17:21, Red Moseley said:

You were at BGS a few years before me, but you dispel my recollection that Mr. Lucas took over from Mr. Osborne, but I am at a loss to remember the sixth Housemaster during my time at BGS.

I mentioned previously the Blue, Green and Yellow Houses, I recall Cockett (Black) and I was in Metcalfe (Red), but who was the (Brown) Housemaster?

Was it Mr. Osborne?

• Like 1