IGNORED

Rooney played for a draw

BcFcOneLove

One of the poorer sides we have faced.

Terrible pitch & awful home support, shame it was the third game in a short spell I’d have fancied our chances in a regular Tuesday, Saturday run.

On that evidence their season is going to be all about survival.

Where’s Tom Brady now, eh?

USA! USA! Rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's odd that people say they're poor when they set out very well to neutralise our attack which for the majority they did. We had a few good chances but defensively they didn't look uncomfortable at all and they had a few counters where they looked dangerous. If anything I think we looked good on the ball, good passing and movement and yet they still managed to keep us from scoring. 

12 minutes ago, tin said:

Not sure they “did a job on us” when we didn’t have a single shot on target. Possession doesn’t win games; what you do with it does. 

That’s my point though. No shots on target would suggest that they did a good job of nullifying us, coming after seven goals scored in our previous two.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say he wanted a draw, he wanted a clean sheet! Huge difference. They may have been in a slump, and many people don't rate Rooney, but for all our possession we created little, and they frustrated us. They had chances to nick it as well, and until our flurry in injury time, for the last 15 minutes, they looked the more likely to score. Whilst it was not a good performance, it wasn't a bad result all things considered, and I would hardly say their approach to the game was embarrassing. They had just had three heavy defeats and wanted to stop the rot, which they did, nothing embarrassing about that. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

On their forum a blues fan that didn't go to the match asked what the game was like. The reply was...

Bristol City painted two thirds of the ground and Brum painted the other third, and the crowd sat and watched it dry.........

Made ne laugh when I was reading there forum last night, and not far off

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I wouldn't say he wanted a draw, he wanted a clean sheet! Huge difference. They may have been in a slump, and many people don't rate Rooney, but for all our possession we created little, and they frustrated us. They had chances to nick it as well, and until our flurry in injury time, for the last 15 minutes, they looked the more likely to score. Whilst it was not a good performance, it wasn't a bad result all things considered, and I would hardly say their approach to the game was embarrassing. They had just had three heavy defeats and wanted to stop the rot, which they did, nothing embarrassing about that. 

Spot on.

I was watching the game on a stream that had the Brum commentary team on it and during the 2nd half the summariser said, "we just need to make sure we don't caught on the break" and I thought, well you'd need to get into our half of the pitch first! 

They were limited rather than poor, and we looked a little jaded dare I say a bit overconfident?

There were periods that would have embarrassed parks football at times, forget this one and move on.

If we had just been in Brum’s run facing a team on our run of form this forum would 100% be saying “clean sheet above all else tonight” so I can’t see what Rooney did was embarrassing. It was necessary.

We are probably amongst the best in the division to play against in that scenario because we lack obvious quality to break teams down whereas play a more attacking game and we have players that can hurt you in transition. Every manager in the league is paid handsomely to know basics like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

If we had just been in Brum’s run facing a team on our run of form this forum would 100% be saying “clean sheet above all else tonight” so I can’t see what Rooney did was embarrassing. It was necessary.

We are probably amongst the best in the division to play against in that scenario because we lack obvious quality to break teams down whereas play a more attacking game and we have players that can hurt you in transition. Every manager in the league is paid handsomely to know basics like that.

Didn’t we set up against QPR with an emphasis on keeping a clean sheet?

Dont think there’s anything wrong in Rooney’s interview - it’s just mad that they’ve fallen so far after sacking their manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Didn’t we set up against QPR with an emphasis on keeping a clean sheet?

Dont think there’s anything wrong in Rooney’s interview - it’s just mad that they’ve fallen so far after sacking their manager.

Agreed albeit look at the reaction on here after that game!! All teams that achieve anything are built from back to front. Get the back end right and the front starts to take care of itself.

It’s no coincidence that the back department of our side is looking better and results have mirrored that. Basic football management that Rooney is trying to implement. As for Manning, his challenge now with the current squad is to pick up positive results when teams set out to deny us space. That has always been our underlying issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Super said:

Yet they had the only shot on goal

and we had none. 

They set out to stop us and play on the break, they executed their plan well but didn't have the final ball they needed, we set out to play passes until we could find a gap and we did that and missed out chances... simply put we cancelled each other out, either team could have got all 3 points had they been clinical with final ball/finishing.

I think had Mehmeti scored that header the game would have opened up a lot and we'd probably have seen a few goals but ultimately we cancelled each other out and lacked quality when it mattered most. 

When you concede 9 goals in 3 games as Birmingham had before last night, you have to stop the rot, to start somewhere.

Birmingham managed that and will see that as something to build on. Had we scored that great chance, this would have turned their gameplan on its head, would have been much more space for us to exploit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Spike said:

and we had none. 

They set out to stop us and play on the break, they executed their plan well but didn't have the final ball they needed, we set out to play passes until we could find a gap and we did that and missed out chances... simply put we cancelled each other out, either team could have got all 3 points had they been clinical with final ball/finishing.

I think had Mehmeti scored that header the game would have opened up a lot and we'd probably have seen a few goals but ultimately we cancelled each other out and lacked quality when it mattered most. 

That’s our problem and it won’t be fixed overnight but if we can continue to pick up points and add some bodies with higher quality than we have atm (and get a few back) we might be in a position to have a realistic tilt at the higher places (which is where I saw us at the start of the season anyway).

Presently we are a team that needs the opposition to make a game of it and last night simply showed our limitations albeit, and as Liam correctly pointed out, we didn’t stupidly throw a point away against a side that we’re happy to take the point they started with at 7.45pm. That’s fine for me.