IGNORED

ACADEMY 1964-65

38 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

nice one,was that from the match day programme?

Graham Tanner relation any of the Tanners?

Chilcott any relation to Gareth?

Yes from a programme.

New Years Eve quiz question what’s the connection between Garland, Tainton and Boyd?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Bob Boyd part of the group that rescued the club, whereas CG and TT ripped up their contracts???

Yes, I believe Bob although released by the club back then went on to become a successful businessman and put money up to save the club, as you say Chris and Trevor walked away from their contracts.

Your prize is in the post.

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

Bob Boyd also successful manager at Minehead and they finished second to Wimbledon the season they won promotion to the fourth division. 

I believe Bob Boyd set up, financed and ran the successful Boco Boys team that played out of Hanham. They are now AEK-Boco and have girls, womens and Mens sections as well, playing at the revamped Greenbank Park playing fields in Hanham. He was a City fan up until his death.

• Thanks 1

We got three regular in the first team from that youth team. Taints, Chrissy and Danny Bartley who made his first team debut when the new floodlights replaced Harry's original ones against Wolves Christmas 1965. He also took the corner in Atyeo's last match that, allegedly, brushed Big John's eyebrow for his second goal of the game.

The biggest disappointment to the club and himself I guess was John Giles who many City fans who followed this youth team, thought was a certainty to become a first team regular. It just proves.es how hard it is to makthee it to League status.

I met Bob Boyd in 2015 when I moved to live in Burnham on Sea and had a good chat about those days and the events of 1982.

Edited by cidered abroad

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We got three regular in the first team from that youth team. Taints, Chrissy and Danny Bartley who made his first team debut when the new floodlights replaced Harry's original ones against Wolves Christmas 1965. He also took the corner in Atyeo's last match that, allegedly, brushed Big John's eyebrow for his second goal of the game.

The biggest disappointment to the club and himself I guess was John Giles who many City fans who followed this youth team, thought was a certainty to become a first team regular. It just proves.es how hard it is to makthee it to League status.

I met Bob Boyd in 2015 when I moved to live in Burnham on Sea and had a good chat about those days and the events of 1982.

A couple of seasons back I took my dad to AG with Joe.  He fancied a coffee before the game so we went into Kofi (or whatever it’s called), and whilst I got served I saw him chatting to two chaps around his age. When I went over, my dad said “Dave, you won’t know who this is but he played for City”.  My reply was “yes, I do, he’s Johnny Giles”.  Astonished, my dad said “how do you know that?”.  My reply “I made my debut for Imperial 3rd team alongside him”.  I was 16, he was probably early 40s (?).

Johnny scouted for Villa for a number of years.

• Like 3