IGNORED

TGH

internetjef

Thought Manning’s response last week to the question as to whether we would make it permanent next month was remarkably non committal, even by his standards.

Worth pointing out though that those saying another club could come in for him in January are definitely barking up the wrong tree, as having already featured for West Brom he can’t play for anyone else this season.

Not ITK but have a hunch we’ll wait until the summer to decide.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Are we expecting an announcement that we are taking up option to buy him the second the transfer window opens? 

or will it be later in window or even end of the season ?

I'd imagen we will wait untill the summer it's all agreed I don't see the sence in rushing it personally hes been good yes but for all we know he may have a massive drop off in the 2nd half of the season it would be foolish to act 6 months prematurely when we don't have to imo

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 5

TGH is a Bristol City lad, he just gets the fans. Quality in the middle and needs to be signed up long term.

My abiding memory of him is losing his shit at Cornick for ambling over to take an attacking throw in the 95th min at QPR then the ref blew before the throw. I love that will to win.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thought Manning’s response last week to the question as to whether we would make it permanent next month was remarkably non committal, even by his standards.

Worth pointing out though that those saying another club could come in for him in January are definitely barking up the wrong tree, as having already featured for West Brom he can’t play for anyone else this season.

Not ITK but have a hunch we’ll wait until the summer to decide.

I’m still surprised that our press guys ask questions about contracts and signings…we know they’re gonna be dead-batted by both Nige and Liam.

And even with Joe Williams, Liam is always gonna position as he did.

I suppose as Liam is new, there might be an element of “let’s see if we can get a nibble”.

• Like 2

Depends when exactly our option expires.

If we signed TGH for £1.3m on a 2.5 year deal say (I'm doing it this way for rouding purposes) you coukd add £0.26m to this season and £0.52m to each subsequent season. That being in addition to the £0.7m loan fee which would all be accounted for this year.

Whereas if you signed him in the summer on a 3 year deal..£0.433m all-in. A difference of £0.527m in amortisation th is year and £0.087m in subsequent season.

However after all the financial hard work I don't think the difference is or should be material- sooner the better really!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

I'd imagen we will wait untill the summer it's all agreed I don't see the sence in rushing it personally hes been good yes but for all we know he may have a massive drop off in the 2nd half of the season it would be foolish to act 6 months prematurely when we don't have to imo

Assuming there is no financial advantage either way, the only advantage is that if we sign him permanently, then he can play against West Brom later in the season.  For that alone I’d do it.

• Like 2

I don't have my head fully around FFP and accounting but presumably there's accountancy factors too in terms of when it best suits us for a deal to be factored into our profit and loss? 

Edit: If I'd read the thread properly, I'd have realised @Mr Popodopolous had already covered this!

Edited by LondonBristolian

Multiple threads full of praise for his performances to date, after an, arguably, underwhelming start at AG. Anyone else feel as though he has become more passive in his movement, and less ambitious with his passing in recent weeks? I think there's a lot more in him than we have seen so far, just wonder what the spark will be to bring that out in his game? Maybe when (if) we have Knighty.v2 in the side this will increase the forward passing options, and suit TGH's game. 

Probably shown enough already to warrant the sort of money being asked for, but if we don't need to commit now I don't think we should. 

• Like 1

Form goes up and down. This lad has quality, has the right mentality, is the right age and price and can play in different positions. He, along with Rob Dickie have been the players of the season for me. What more does anyone want? 

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

On 31/12/2023 at 19:26, Davefevs said:

Assuming there is no financial advantage either way, the only advantage is that if we sign him permanently, then he can play against West Brom later in the season.  For that alone I’d do it.

But if he gets a career ending injury before the summer 🤷‍♂️.  On the other hand I suppose one think to consider is the deal is done with WBA but what about the deal with the player? Could he reject the deal based on the contract offered? A strong second half to the season then his salary demands may price us out of signing him. The fee may be agreed but is the contract?

39 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

But if he gets a career ending injury before the summer 🤷‍♂️.  On the other hand I suppose one think to consider is the deal is done with WBA but what about the deal with the player? Could he reject the deal based on the contract offered? A strong second half to the season then his salary demands may price us out of signing him. The fee may be agreed but is the contract?

The story is his contract is agreed too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I’m not convinced Manning will take the deal on. 

Same. I think he has done ok - but not quite sure he has done enough to earn the plaudits he is getting . Personally - I’d wait to the end of the season and make a decision then. I don’t think we will take the lad on permanently if I’m honest 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Same. I think he has done ok - but not quite sure he has done enough to earn the plaudits he is getting . Personally - I’d wait to the end of the season and make a decision then. I don’t think we will take the lad on permanently if I’m honest 

Which would be so Bristol City. Have a quality player in our grasp and let him go, instead of realising the talent and keeping him.

We are still suffering at RB, a few years after allowing Perreira to leave , when iirc we had an option to buy him.

• Like 2

I get the feeling we won't proceed with this, think he was Manning's first choice for a number of weeks but more due to necessity than anything else. Whilst it wasn't an impressive cameo yesterday for me he's got a bit of everything, can run, pick a pass, shoot but also stick a foot in and tackle.

Can see him evolving his game and being a long term James replacement but I also wonder if he's got a bit more to offer going forwards and if that'll be a bit of a waste....

One thing I'd love to see us try and yesterday was the game to do it is dropping Knight a little deeper to play in the midfield next to TGH. Means you can have Wells/Weimann/Cornick playing centrally next to Conway and actually give the kid some help. It's clearly been identified as an issue because if you watch us, we never have two wingers playing wide, one is always tucked in as close to Conway as possible. The problem is that leaves loads of space out wide that we then aren't able to exploit! Looks very unbalanced to me at the moment, maybe the answer will be Mcrorie bombing down the wing and filling the space but I'm not convinced that'll rectify everything.

Either way, I think TGH is class and think we need to snap him up 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Either way, it’s a few bob for a player who wasn’t particularly outstanding.

I don’t remember feeling disappointed that we never signed him. 

@Davefevs @Sir Geoff

In the pre-Covid silly money years €4m wasn’t huge.

It wouldn’t have been the difference between top 6 and not. But he seemed like a steady player in a position we struggle with.

Part of the problem for me is that we never seem able to decide whether we want a RB or a RWB. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I get the feeling we won't proceed with this, think he was Manning's first choice for a number of weeks but more due to necessity than anything else. Whilst it wasn't an impressive cameo yesterday for me he's got a bit of everything, can run, pick a pass, shoot but also stick a foot in and tackle.

Can see him evolving his game and being a long term James replacement but I also wonder if he's got a bit more to offer going forwards and if that'll be a bit of a waste....

One thing I'd love to see us try and yesterday was the game to do it is dropping Knight a little deeper to play in the midfield next to TGH. Means you can have Wells/Weimann/Cornick playing centrally next to Conway and actually give the kid some help. It's clearly been identified as an issue because if you watch us, we never have two wingers playing wide, one is always tucked in as close to Conway as possible. The problem is that leaves loads of space out wide that we then aren't able to exploit! Looks very unbalanced to me at the moment, maybe the answer will be Mcrorie bombing down the wing and filling the space but I'm not convinced that'll rectify everything.

Either way, I think TGH is class and think we need to snap him up 

Totally agree with you. Knight is wasted in an advanced role. Tommy could (and has) play that role with Wells just ahead of him.

21 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Either way, it’s a few bob for a player who wasn’t particularly outstanding.

I don’t remember feeling disappointed that we never signed him. 

@Davefevs @Sir Geoff

I thought he was ok, better than Hunt….but not worth the alleged fee.  I thought he covered his CBs well also.

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

In the pre-Covid silly money years €4m wasn’t huge.

It wouldn’t have been the difference between top 6 and not. But he seemed like a steady player in a position we struggle with.

Part of the problem for me is that we never seem able to decide whether we want a RB or a RWB. 

It wasn’t huge, but it is for a RB!!

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Totally agree with you. Knight is wasted in an advanced role. Tommy could (and has) play that role with Wells just ahead of him.

Said similar somewhere else, if we are gonna play Knight so advanced, why not play a true forward, and play Jase in midfield.

I like TGH but the more I think about it the more I think 2m total fee is too much for him. Not convinced he is special enough to pay that. Maybe he would look better next to a more dominant figure in midfield but I just wouldn’t pay that for him. 

I think if you look across the leagues there are better value for money buys. I am not rushing to sign him if we have him for the season. If we are going to spend 2-3m or more I would prefer on CBs and creative/forwards.

For example, and he could be great, 2m might be too big a fee for McRorie if he is just going to play RB. Good chance he is an upgrade on Tanner but enough to justify costing 1.7m and more wages? We will see. 

On the other hand, Dickie for 750k and a slightly bigger wage but clearly an upgrade on any cbs we had in the building. My point is if we are going to be more frugal in the market then we need to be more patient on spending our millions. TGH might be our best option for midfield come the summer time. If so, then sign him up. However I think it is worth being patient in this case. If it was another 300k to sign him then different story but as it stands I’d leave it for now.