IGNORED

Conway - do we cash in?

I personally think he’s been a totally different person since AS left, body language, buzz etc. 

Think he’s finding it hard being without his best mate and flat mate etc. 

May be way off the mark but add that into the injuries and stuff and on a personal level it’s probably been quite a difficult season for him so far. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk. Can buy peaks and troughs but he has had no peak for almost a season. Of course manager change, Scott leaving and a few injuries. I just haven’t seen it from him though for near a year now. More worrying is the body language and I am not certain he is working as hard out of possession as he did before. Maybe worried about his hamstrings? Something feels off with him. Not writing him off by any means but we were relying on him this season imo and he hasn’t been close to the levels needed. 

IMO Tommy needs a Scott to “feed” him, unfortunately Scott calibre midfielders are rare.
Up front on his own is not Tommy’s forte.

• Like 2

I honestly don’t think we’ll get an offer that makes financial sense. He has 18 months on his contract but we will get compensation either way. 

I don’t reckon a fee we were offered now would reflect his potential value in 6 months or a years’ time if he is in-form, and it might not even be more than the compensation we’d get if he stayed to the end of his contract but scored 15-20 goals next season.

Manning needs to get Conway back on form but there is plenty of time before his contract expired and I see no reason to sell an out of form high potential player at a point when his form will likely lower the fee.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above, I have been thoroughly disappointed with Tommy this season. I don’t think the lone role suits him at all, offers very little threat and struggles up against physical CB. With just 18 months to go I would be tempted to sell this month, I don’t think we will get more than £5M to be honest, but we need a better all round striker to progress. A shame as I really hoped this would be his season but lacks that quality required. 

This doesn't even make sense, who's paying £5m for him if he's as bad as you suggest?

I don't think his poor form is his fault, as you say he doesn't suit the lone role.

I can't believe we havent seen him again in behind in the 10 after his cameo at Rotherham. Has to be worth a try, with Wells up top and Knight in a deeper "number 8" role which also suits him better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This doesn't even make sense, who's paying £5m for him if he's as bad as you suggest?

I don't think his poor form is his fault, as you say he doesn't suit the lone role.

I can't believe we havent seen him again in behind in the 10 after his cameo at Rotherham. Has to be worth a try, with Wells up top and Knight in a deeper "number 8" role which also suits him better.

Someone in the management needs to check the second half of Lincoln H last season. Yes I know only L1 opposition, however Conway came on behind the striker and he was amazing. Best player on the pitch by a mile, much better than Scott even in that second half.

I dream of that for Tommy C

• Like 1

Think it will be a massive mistake if we sell him or let him disappear OOC

Whatever your views on him , he’s shown he’s very capable at this level (Albeit Something not quite right with him atm - off field ?)

We could spend waste millions and millions trying to replace him as we’ve proved many times over the years

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above, I have been thoroughly disappointed with Tommy this season. I don’t think the lone role suits him at all, offers very little threat and struggles up against physical CB. With just 18 months to go I would be tempted to sell this month, I don’t think we will get more than £5M to be honest, but we need a better all round striker to progress. A shame as I really hoped this would be his season but lacks that quality required. 

Who is this better all round striker that is available for what we would get for Conway?

20 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

A lot of big clubs were watching him last season, not unreasonable for a PL club to take a punt, club won’t feel for peanuts but £5M to a PL club is a packet of peanuts. 

1 minute ago, TheReds said:

Who is this better all round striker that is available for what we would get for Conway?

We need to use the European market, plenty of good players in the French, Portuguese leagues for example, we did well in that market in the past, certainly now work permit restrictions have been relaxed. I also have a feeling Al Hamadi could turn into a decent champ player, has all the attributes. One player I would love to put a cheeky offer in is Koji Miyoshi at Birmingham, out of favour but I thought was best player I’ve seen down AG this season. Just what we need for creativity. 

30 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I honestly don’t think we’ll get an offer that makes financial sense. He has 18 months on his contract but we will get compensation either way. 

I don’t reckon a fee we were offered now would reflect his potential value in 6 months or a years’ time if he is in-form, and it might not even be more than the compensation we’d get if he stayed to the end of his contract but scored 15-20 goals next season.

Manning needs to get Conway back on form but there is plenty of time before his contract expired and I see no reason to sell an out of form high potential player at a point when his form will likely lower the fee.

This is it. He wouldn't get an offer atm commensurate to his value to us now or in seasons to come.

I agree with those that point out TC is not a lone striker and needs a strike partner to get more chances on goal.

We need to remember he's not in the 25-28 age range that is normally a forwards' golden years.  He has lots of development to do. If he's happy here, he may be a much more valuable asset in the future. 

• Like 4

One thing to say Conway and Wells e.g. and on paper perhaps that can alleviate one issue.

Who then drops out though, how does the shape change to necessitate this, do we ditch Sykes and Mehmeti/Bell?

Do we revert back to a back 3?

Do we even go something akin to 4-4-2 with wingers thereby weakening ourselves- and it will weaken us given how many these days play some variation of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1..

Back to say 3-5-2, 3-4-3 would be yet another volte face.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

If I was Tommy I wouldn't! I'd look for a team/coach that would play me in a system that more suits my game.

It doesn't really work like that tho... a manager isn't going to change his philosophy/formation to suit one player.

I'm sure people will correct me but i can't name many sides in the top 2 divisions that play 2 central strikers, so Tommy needs to adapt his game, not the other way round.

FWIW i think he's a decent finisher but his all round game is lacking at present, and its a position we need to improve in my opinion.

• Like 1

I still have faith in Tommy, a lot in fact. Maybe we should remember this from last year...

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/whisper-it-quietly-bristol-city-star-likened-to-alan-shearer-amid-impressive-start-to-season-3851403

Probably, things like this are a distraction but as some have astutely pointed out, Tommy is missing his wing man badly, both on and probably off the pitch. I don't know how well they get on but I am hoping that Ayman can fill this role,  quality player

A few of the comments on this post are beginning to go down the Antoine route. He was written off and got dogs abuse for ages but it was always clear to me that he had a) the ability and b) the mean streak and desire required to make it up the ladder, something I was also laughed at about but, he got what he wanted

Tommy has it in him too, he just has to seize the day. The cameo performance against Rotherham showed us what he can do when he focuses his mind on the job

WE just need more of that single mindedness from Tommy which we know he has, and for us to get behind him, and he will be back in the news again in no time

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Red Ferret said:

I don't know why Manning persists with playing him up top by himself. Its so frustrating for everyone, including Tommy

If you are going to play a lone striker then Cornick is better suited to that role imo 

I'm always disappointed that when he puts Nahki on, Liam takes Tommy off. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Absolutely we should cash in. At a time when we have virtually no striking options - let’s cash in on the best one we have 

or ….….….…

….our head coach could actually start building his team around his better players and playing to their strengths. 

Why Lee Johnson pt2 keeps playing his as a lone striker is beyond me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

It doesn't really work like that tho... a manager isn't going to change his philosophy/formation to suit one player.

I'm sure people will correct me but i can't name many sides in the top 2 divisions that play 2 central strikers, so Tommy needs to adapt his game, not the other way round.

FWIW i think he's a decent finisher but his all round game is lacking at present, and its a position we need to improve in my opinion.

As has been suggested earlier, why not play him behind and close to Wells (or whoever), maybe in a 4411, for instance. If we aren't going to get the best out of him, for his own sake he needs to hold off on signing a new deal and look elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Ferret said:

I don't know why Manning persists with playing him up top by himself. Its so frustrating for everyone, including Tommy

If you are going to play a lone striker then Cornick is better suited to that role imo 

Alright saying it now, this place would have a meltdown if cornick started 

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely we should cash in. At a time when we have virtually no striking options - let’s cash in on the best one we have 

or ….….….…

….our head coach could actually start building his team around his better players and playing to their strengths. 

Why Lee Johnson pt2 keeps playing his as a lone striker is beyond me. 

The fact he seems to have had a contract offer on the table for a while and hasn't signed does lead you to an obvious conclusion. He's looked at his best mate in football raking it in elsewhere, he's probably a very frustrated young man playing in a system that isn't helping him score goals and does not appear to be in any rush to commit three years to us. Look at it from his point of view, why would you? What would you advise your own son in the same situation? His agent would have a good idea if there is any interest and if there wasn't/isn't you can guarantee the ink would have dried on the contract a long time ago. If that is the case and he ultimately says "I won't sign thanks" then we have no choice but to cash in.

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Our Tech Director before his exile (first time around) from X, suggested that he was worth more than £20M……..

Can't work out whether that is trying to build up the value of an asset for future sales negotiations or just another impulsive load of guff...............to get £20m for Conway he will need to go on some run of goals.

I like Tommy . He’s young and facing his toughest season what with injuries, lack  of form , best mate going and a new manager playing him up top on his own . 
This might toughen him up both mentally and physically. Lot of talent . 

• Like 1

Biggest surprise of the season to me how ineffective (bar Roth) he's been, thought he bulked out a bit last year and though not ideal as the loan striker role, thought he'd give it a fair go but alas its not worked out at all.

Still a promising player in there,  hopefully LM will eventually get the best out of him.

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

There is no doubt in my mind that he is quality......but he is young, being played in the wrong role and gets no service.  In the the correct tactical set up he would thrive, I am very Disappointed in LM for persisting with the lone striker formation?  There is nothing wrong with the tactics, it is just that Tommy is just not suited to it?  I do appreciate that LM has little choice, to an extent, so it is now up to him to find a solution during the window, and show us just how tactically aware he is?  We have failed to score against Rooney's (GONE!) Birmingham and a very average Millwall side.............Tommy should NOT  , and i am certain will NOT be sold, but it is now up to our new manager to create a team that plays to TC's strengths.

Im not sure we are playing to anyones strengths, sam bell is having a significant drop off too,,, fast paced counter attacks with a high quality playmaker made us dangerous last season, knocking the ball around at the back and taking no risks doesnt suit our lot

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

The whole squad was only valued at £15 million in the last accounts, so unlikely.

That’s an accounting valuation based on the cost of acquiring players, ie transfer fees paid.

Academy players or players signed on free transfers hold £0 value in the “books”.  That £15m includes the £0 valued Alex Scott 🤣🤣🤣

It was £48m at 31st May 2020….after the splurge in the summer of 2019, which took until this summer to recover from.

😮😮😮

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing to say Conway and Wells e.g. and on paper perhaps that can alleviate one issue.

Who then drops out though, how does the shape change to necessitate this, do we ditch Sykes and Mehmeti/Bell?

Do we revert back to a back 3?

Do we even go something akin to 4-4-2 with wingers thereby weakening ourselves- and it will weaken us given how many these days play some variation of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1..

Back to say 3-5-2, 3-4-3 would be yet another volte face.

This for me but with only one winger (Sykes). I would give Pring and Sykes licence to use the space ahead of them on their respective wing, but with the proviso that only one goes forward at a time, so a sort of pivot. If Pring goes forward I would expect the left sided midfielder to sit in and cover. Midfield three would then be 3 from 4 (Knight, TGH, Williams, James). When we lose possession up field Sykes drops in and the midfield 3 become 4.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s an accounting valuation based on the cost of acquiring players, ie transfer fees paid.

Academy players or players signed on free transfers hold £0 value in the “books”.  That £15m includes the £0 valued Alex Scott 🤣🤣🤣

It was £48m at 31st May 2020….after the splurge in the summer of 2019, which took until this summer to recover from.

😮😮😮

So less than £15m  (due to amortisation)?  Was thinking squad valuation would be an important element, if a sale (of the club) happened.