IGNORED

Conway - do we cash in?

The question with TC isn't 'is he good enough', it's more like 'are we good enough'. What can we do to convince him to sign a contract? Sign a couple of 'top 6 side' players this window/next window? Do we need to progress to a solid top 10 side this season? We need to show him that he won't lose out if he stays with us.

Whatever happens I don't see us going past the Summer window with this unresolved.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

What a guy. In the era of media trained and/or thick footballers, it’s nice to see a funny, natural lad getting caught up in the emotion. That interviewer pisses all over Dave Barton.

What impressed me today was he worked bloody hard and battled well against some big, strong, centre backs.

29 minutes ago, Henry said:

What impressed me today was he worked bloody hard and battled well against some big, strong, centre back

Totally agree. Thought previously he’s been weak, off the pace, not looking full fit. Against Zouma who is a very good player he really held his own. Hopefully kicks on now!

28 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Ah yes because one more goal in the FA Cup has turned him into a £15mil player. 

That’s changed my mind, definitely cash in now. 

Great goal though wasn't it? Perfect position for a striker to take the ball, and a brilliant touch. Also a laser like finish.

A few hundred grand 🤣 Embarrassing

I reckon that will do Tommy the world of good

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Great goal though wasn't it? Perfect position for a striker to take the ball, and a brilliant touch. Also a laser like finish.

A few hundred grand 🤣 Embarrassing

I reckon that will do Tommy the world of good

Yes it was a good finish although would have been disappointed if he’d fluffed it like he has with a couple one on one’s this season. 

But as I said earlier he has a long way to go before any clubs would be offering the sort of money that we should ‘cash in’ for. 

I think the kid can finish but playing on his own up top isn’t helping him , he needs to play off another forward , he was on fire with well’s earlier but on his own gets found out , but yesterday could be his kicking on point 

Edited by Topper 123

On 07/01/2024 at 20:34, BCFCGav said:

@Dullmoan Tone why the head in hands reaction?

Sorry for the delay.

He has 7 in 20. 2 are pens and while I accept they need scoring, they flatter his form which is perhaps 12 from open play a season currently. If we are serious about promotion we need someone much more prolific, rather than giving him more minutes (if he is not signing an extension)until we sell for a slightly higher profit to offset the losses already made.

We must change our mindset - I want him to succeed but at home he hasn’t been able to lead the line and far too often is moved off the ball by bigger and more experienced defenders.

I just wish we could not yo yo on players based on their last game. Hence the facepalm!

• Facepalm 2

On 07/01/2024 at 19:11, Sleepy1968 said:

The question with TC isn't 'is he good enough', it's more like 'are we good enough'. What can we do to convince him to sign a contract? Sign a couple of 'top 6 side' players this window/next window? Do we need to progress to a solid top 10 side this season? We need to show him that he won't lose out if he stays with us.

Whatever happens I don't see us going past the Summer window with this unresolved.

Good shout.

Hes seen his mate move into the Prem with associated riches and whilst im sure he himself doesnt currently think hes comparable if he gets another 10 goals thus season someone bigger than City could well come in for him.

Dont see why hed commit longer with the current leadership shitshow tbh. Sign some proper players and he might be encouraged but im not optimistic on that front.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Good shout.

Hes seen his mate move into the Prem with associated riches and whilst im sure he himself doesnt currently think hes comparable if he gets another 10 goals thus season someone bigger than City could well come in for him.

Dont see why hed commit longer with the current leadership shitshow tbh. Sign some proper players and he might be encouraged but im not optimistic on that front.

A slight silver lining….if he won’t sign, and does run his contract down….the more he scores the more demand and potentially more compo.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A slight silver lining….if he won’t sign, and does run his contract down….the more he scores the more demand and potentially more compo.

What do you think a fully firing Tommys value would be with say 3 years contract versus compo after a good spell in front of goal?

If the gap is millions then maybe the club should speculate a bit, offer him very good terms AND make a few signings provided the club still projected a profit.

Cant actually see that happening mind..

On 08/01/2024 at 08:40, Topper 123 said:

I think the kid can finish but playing on his own up top isn’t helping him , he needs to play off another forward , he was on fire with well’s earlier but on his own gets found out , but yesterday could be his kicking on point 

He was quite clear in the interview on 3peaps that he’s relishing the 1 up front and although it’s not what he’s used to it’s something he’s learning and enjoying.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

What do you think a fully firing Tommys value would be with say 3 years contract versus compo after a good spell in front of goal?

If the gap is millions then maybe the club should speculate a bit, offer him very good terms AND make a few signings provided the club still projected a profit.

Cant actually see that happening mind..

Pure guesswork - £10-12m this summer.  £2.5-3m compo if he was OOC this summer.  Something like that.

1 hour ago, CityReds said:

He was quite clear in the interview on 3peaps that he’s relishing the 1 up front and although it’s not what he’s used to it’s something he’s learning and enjoying.

And if he has ambitions of playing at a higher level it's something he'll need to get used to, as most teams in the PL seem to play that way.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely surprised to see the views on Tommy on here. The issue isn't Tommy, the issue is we don't provide enough opportunities for a lone striker and haven't done for some time. 

Doesn't matter who we have in that role atm, you can only do so much when you have very little service. We've had Tommy, Bell, Wells and Cornick play that role, none of them look prolific and that's because they simply don't get the supply they need. I think we could take any striker and put them in this team as that central striker role and they'd struggle. 

• Like 5

On 02/01/2024 at 13:40, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

WE just need more of that single mindedness from Tommy which we know he has, and for us to get behind him, and he will be back in the news again in no time

Very perceptive, certainly back in the news.

That goal will have given him great confidence, a monkey off his back.

Go Tommy !

31 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm genuinely surprised to see the views on Tommy on here. The issue isn't Tommy, the issue is we don't provide enough opportunities for a lone striker and haven't done for some time. 

Doesn't matter who we have in that role atm, you can only do so much when you have very little service. We've had Tommy, Bell, Wells and Cornick play that role, none of them look prolific and that's because they simply don't get the supply they need. I think we could take any striker and put them in this team as that central striker role and they'd struggle. 

Joe Williams said as much in his post match interview regarding creating more chances for Tommy, so it’s clearly something that’s been discussed as a group. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Sorry for the delay.

He has 7 in 20. 2 are pens and while I accept they need scoring, they flatter his form which is perhaps 12 from open play a season currently. If we are serious about promotion we need someone much more prolific, rather than giving him more minutes (if he is not signing an extension)until we sell for a slightly higher profit to offset the losses already made.

We must change our mindset - I want him to succeed but at home he hasn’t been able to lead the line and far too often is moved off the ball by bigger and more experienced defenders.

I just wish we could not yo yo on players based on their last game. Hence the facepalm!

No apology necessary! 

I do disagree but that’s the beauty of a football forum. 1 in 2 is great form for a forward at almost any club, and while two are penalties, as you say they need putting away.

Agree he’s had some off games but to write him off from them is very premature imo. I don’t think I’ve yo yo’d on him, I’ve thought Wells should get some starts at times over TC (or with him) but I’ve always thought Tommy’s a very good young player, with the off games that come with that.

On 07/01/2024 at 19:01, Mr Popodopolous said:

6 in the League plus today in the Cup despite a medium term injury this season.

Doing more than fine, can get better still.

Gyokeres at the same age as Tommy had barely scored any goals at all. 

He then had a loan spell at Swansea where he scored none. 

Scored 20 odd in the Championship last season and is now doing well in Portugal. 

I think people expecting a 21 year old striker to be the finished article is rather ludicrous. Young players will always have a bit of inconsistency about them. Although as you mention, Tommy has had his injuries. 

Conway has shown he had the talent to go far in the game. I think the Euros in the summer is a realistic goal for him and that motivation will only benefit us. 

Tommy is on course to score more than last season so thats progression for me. I think a fully fit Tommy Conway playing 46 games could very much achieve 15-20 goals. 

Yet despite this I've read crap that we should sell him for 500k etc 😂 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see anyway near as much of City as the rest of you but my hunch is that Tommy was maybe looking sharper (maybe others too up front) when we played more on the break and had less possession. If I was a striker, watching my mates pass the ball indefinitely in our own half, I think I would switch off. You want your strikers poised to run into space at every moment but they won't be making those runs if they don't get the passes.

The top teams keep the ball but can play a quick ball too when gaining possession. I think that is where LM is trying to get us to, we might need to be a bit more patient.

Happy to be told this is nonsense as it is based on a hunch from reading match reports on OTIB rather than hours of spectating!

Bottom line - keep Tommy!