IGNORED

Snippets from the programme when City last played West Ham United away in the F.A. Cup

Milton Red

That was one of our best teams ever.  Real quality across the pitch.  Would be happy to have that quality today.  Solid defence, defensive and creative midfield, and a frontline with goal scoring potential everywhere you look.A d look at the wider squad :  Derrick, Crowe, Merrick, Garland.

We have to ask how have we landed up today with a performance like that at the weekend

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Milton Red said:

Match originally scheduled for 4th January 1969 but was postponed and played on 30th January 1969.

Match result: West Ham United 3 - 2 Bristol City

Martin Peters (2) and Geoff Hurst scored for the Hammers. 

2024-01-03_141604.jpg

2024-01-03_141833.jpg

2024-01-03_142103.jpg

2024-01-03_142601.jpg

Assuming these guys had the fitness levels of the players today, which they didn't, then based on ability and watching every week at that time then Merrick would be a starter in defence, Kellard in midfield and a Galley / Garland partnership up front.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

That was one of our best teams ever.  Real quality across the pitch.  Would be happy to have that quality today.  Solid defence, defensive and creative midfield, and a frontline with goal scoring potential everywhere you look.A d look at the wider squad :  Derrick, Crowe, Merrick, Garland.

We have to ask how have we landed up today with a performance like that at the weekend

Yes I am sure that city team never had a poor game. Every game electrifying 

• Flames 1

I  was surprised to see Shape, not Garland at 8 as (so my memory tells me) he was always 11. Danny B would have been sub until Trevor Tainton took on that role.

Several of you have posted what a great team that was. A few years later it improved to become Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Wimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Skirton. Garland, Galley, Kellard and Sharpe with Tainton as sub. 

Despite the team selection being the same nearly every week, we still bought the programme to see who was playing. 

57 minutes ago, 22A said:

I  was surprised to see Shape, not Garland at 8 as (so my memory tells me) he was always 11. Danny B would have been sub until Trevor Tainton took on that role.

Several of you have posted what a great team that was. A few years later it improved to become Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Wimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Skirton. Garland, Galley, Kellard and Sharpe with Tainton as sub. 

Despite the team selection being the same nearly every week, we still bought the programme to see who was playing. 

In that game Garland played at 8 and Sharpe 11, Bartley didn’t play. 

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That Hammers team was a bit tasty too mind.

Just the 3 World Cup winners in it, which seeing as there have only ever been 11 English ones, is some ratio.

• Like 2