IGNORED

Beating Bolton 1978/79

CiderJar

49 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

That shirt / kit 🔥

I cannot believe the Club don’t do (Sadly , I guess I do) a , even small, range of ‘Classic’ shirts ,

if not a range then that shirt -

they would fly out 

Yes that and the white and black away best of all time for me. 

Love it if we could go back to Umbro and get a design close to those. 

• Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Yes that and the white and black away best of all time for me. 

Love it if we could go back to Umbro and get a design close to those. 

👍🏻

Or , as I’d assume , buy the design rights or similar , from Umbro and get them made ourselves

(Jeeez , :laugh: , that would end well you just know 🙄🤣)

(Yes , the white , still our best home , and away shirts for me)

3 hours ago, CiderJar said:

This brings back so many memories. The tenacity of Gerry Gow, but also of Tom Ritchie whose workrate was extraordinary. Joe Royle gets his first goals of the season and Motson calls us Bristol a lot.

When the full time whistle goes, is that "congratulations" playing on the tannoy?

• Like 1

Remember this game well, but although not a big draw as opponents it was actually quite a good Bolton team with the likes of Worthington, Reid, Morgan and McNab.

City won well that day but the involvement and roar of the crowd was evident throughout, whether for a good tackle, a close miss, or the anticipation and celebration of a goal.

Really miss the old AG atmosphere.

P.S. Motson did insist on calling us just 'Bristol', didn't he.

6 hours ago, CiderJar said:

This brings back so many memories. The tenacity of Gerry Gow, but also of Tom Ritchie whose workrate was extraordinary. Joe Royle gets his first goals of the season and Motson calls us Bristol a lot.

My first game. It's got a lot to answer for. This version is better quality that the one that's been on youtube for donkeys years. But try as I might, I still can't identify myself in the boys enclosure 😞

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

That shirt / kit 🔥

I cannot believe the Club don’t do (Sadly , I guess I do) a , even small, range of ‘Classic’ shirts ,

they would fly out 

I totally agree, Score Draw have a range of classic Bukta shirts for Wolves and Crystal Palace, there’s 3 great City Bukta shirts that would go down a storm.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

We were 10th in the top division after that result.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-one/11-november-1978/

We finished 13th too. Motson refers in the commentary to us having become an established first division side and I can remember it really feeling like that. There was even (serious) talk of when we’d start challenging for European places.

79/80 was such a disappointment, and hard to get a handle on why. Although not half as disappointing as what followed……..

19 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

That shirt / kit 🔥

they would fly out 

That 76 - 81 strip is available from UK Soccer Shop (whoever they are). http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

Historic al kits also have a shop at Malvern 07759 923657

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We finished 13th too. Motson refers in the commentary to us having become an established first division side and I can remember it really feeling like that. There was even (serious) talk of when we’d start challenging for European places.

Correct.  Boxing Day 1978 we beat Coventry 5-0 and there was talk then City might finish high enough to qualify for the UEFA Cup (as was).

@13.31

"Bolton desperately need to consolidate…something Bristol City have done over the last two and a half seasons. They look now to be a comfortable side in the First Division rather than a struggling one."

Wait a year John, wait a year..