IGNORED

Biggest away following ever (bar finals)?

Blagdon red

Coventry away in 77 was my first ever away game so I remember it very well. My Dad would not go unless we got tickets as he new it was possibly going to hit capacity. Tickets were only issued for the stands in those days, not terracing. The initial allocation was 4500 tickets, I remember being gutted when they sold out. City then obtained another 3000 tickets in the Sky Blue stand, luckily we got a couple before they also sold out. So 7500 in the stands plus those on the terraces at both ends. I think a good 50% of the attendance was a realistic estimate. Not bad for a Thursday evening. A previous poster asked how so many got there. I remember the Evening Post reporting that coaches had been hired from as far away as plymouth. On the M5 we passed cement mixers with city scarves hanging from the wing mirrors and even a tarring truck with heat vapour still coming from the tar. It really was a surreal day, probably never to be repeated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Beat me to it, was about to say the same.

Football was run very differently then, not unusual either to go to a ground that had no actual designated area for away fans, all ticket games were almost unheard of & prices were incredibly cheap even taking into account inflation.

I was also at Forest & think yesterday’s following was greater, I reckon we had about 7k there.

Forest was something like 7,800 from sketchy memory.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homer Simpson said:

Coventry away in 77 was my first ever away game so I remember it very well. My Dad would not go unless we got tickets as he new it was possibly going to hit capacity. Tickets were only issued for the stands in those days, not terracing. The initial allocation was 4500 tickets, I remember being gutted when they sold out. City then obtained another 3000 tickets in the Sky Blue stand, luckily we got a couple before they also sold out. So 7500 in the stands plus those on the terraces at both ends. I think a good 50% of the attendance was a realistic estimate. Not bad for a Thursday evening. A previous poster asked how so many got there. I remember the Evening Post reporting that coaches had been hired from as far away as plymouth. On the M5 we passed cement mixers with city scarves hanging from the wing mirrors and even a tarring truck with heat vapour still coming from the tar. It really was a surreal day, probably never to be repeated.

Only got in for the last 20 mins because our coach broke down, but wouldn’t have missed that for the world.  Unforgettable night!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Sorry if this has already been established and I missed it, but was today the biggest away following in the club's history for any game other than a final?

Also was it the biggest attendance we’ve ever played in front of bar finals? 

1 hour ago, Homer Simpson said:

That's how I remember it as a little un, half the crowd were City. Absolutely bonkers night.

I don't think 17,000 reds is at all an unfair estimate.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Also was it the biggest attendance we’ve ever played in front of bar finals? 

I think it must be, only Old Trafford and White Heart Lane are bigger and we've not played there since they were expanded. I don't remember seeing city's name on any of the record attendance lists of the big old grounds that might have had a capacity of over 60k back in the day...Goodison, Highbury, the Valley, Stamford Bridge, Main Road, Villa Park etc..

Edited by adamski
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Good shout & not so sketchy , Post has it at 8k .

Screenshot2024-01-08at17_06_30.thumb.png.a79cb0d68cf3c6f36c1ca705a7665f12.png

That will be accurate as it was all ticket, I know because we arrived just as it kicked off and I still have the West Bridgeford Terrace stub somewhere

1 minute ago, adamski said:

I think it must be, only Old Trafford and White Heart Lane are bigger and we've not played there since they were expanded. I don't remember seeing city's name on any of the record attendance lists of the big old grounds that might have had a capacity of over 60k back in the day...Goodison, Highbury, the Valley, Stanford Bridge, Main Road, Villa Park etc..

53k at Newcastle a few years ago. Otherwise it’s a look through 1950’s attendances!!

25 minutes ago, adamski said:

I think it must be, only Old Trafford and White Heart Lane are bigger and we've not played there since they were expanded. I don't remember seeing city's name on any of the record attendance lists of the big old grounds that might have had a capacity of over 60k back in the day...Goodison, Highbury, the Valley, Stamford Bridge, Main Road, Villa Park etc..

Yeah I was wondering about Charlton back in the day.

i think it’s the biggest in my time of watching which goes back to first division days.

Huge credit must go to the West Ham board, West Ham supporters and of course the fantastic travelling support from the West Country. Whichever you look at it, for West ham to get 62500 for a third round cup match against a team a division below them is amazing. For City to take 9000 to a third round match that many must have expected us to lose against a team we have played several times in the past 20 years and a 2 hour + journey that is phenomenal. Well done City.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2024 at 01:26, sglosbcfc said:

I didn't start watching City until the early 80s, but if we really did take 18,000 to Coventry that is amazing. How did they all get there? There must not have been a train or coach left in the South west, ha.

We were tough in those days those that couldn’t cycle , walked. 
:innocent06:

• Haha 1