IGNORED

Wells

BS3_RED

Was it just me (probably was) or did Wells seem well off the pace when he came on yesterday. The one thing I associate most with Wells is his running and workmate but it seemed to be missing a little yesterday. Maybe it was a hard game to get up to speed with but there were a few times where Wells never made a run which was on.

He’s 34 soon and just like Weimann and James the pace of championship football is catching up with them. Manning knows that too which is why they all find themselves out of the team. We need more mobility and pace in our team to take the next step in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

Don't believe he is as effect on his own. He needs to be playing off someone, so he can make runs without being tracked. He hasn't got the same burst of pace anymore, still nippy but not what he once was.

34 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Was it just me (probably was) or did Wells seem well off the pace when he came on yesterday. The one thing I associate most with Wells is his running and workmate but it seemed to be missing a little yesterday. Maybe it was a hard game to get up to speed with but there were a few times where Wells never made a run which was on.

I was only saying this yesterday his body language didn't seem right wasn't his usual but maybe looking to much into it. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it 😂

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

Running with one of those will make you look like you're  off the pace! :)

image.thumb.png.b45e1d313a48dba8e67e85a487ec55dc.png

• Haha 9

Found him frustrating. One moment in particular Williams played a great ball in between the left back and centre back but Wells came short rather than running a similar line to what Conway had been doing.

Still a useful player but taking time to get back to it after injury.

• Like 4

Ffs he’s only 33 that’s hardly picking up a pension ( I’ve never heard mo farah moan “ oh but I’m nearly 40 ) and he’s getting good money for putting in a shift ( shift :laugh: 15/20 minutes)I want to see players giving it 100% we don’t need passengers

• Sad 1

I think reading anything in to Wells performance (or lack of) yesterday is probably slightly harsh because :-

1. He works best with a partner OR as a ‘pest’ type player in games where we are dominating possession and playing a lot in around the final third which was certainly not the case by the time he was introduced where we were very much being dominated in our half

2. He has seen very little football for a good few weeks so nowhere near up to pace needed

As said by others he is getting on and maybe lacking a yard but I would hope he is still in around the squad until at least the end of 24/25 season as he has something to offer in the right circumstances and does “father figure” our younger attackers 

Edited by Meh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It’s clear we need a stronger bench

I'm sure Wells can knock one up using  his workmate, a few woodworking tools and some decent timber. :whistle:

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It’s clear we need a stronger bench, we struggled after those subs. Really hope we can get a good couple of forward players this month, with quality like McCrorie, Naismith and Atko to come back too. 

We seem to be adding to the required numbers of new players that SL will pay for this January 

Wells' body language has never looked good. The circumstances of his signing (to help get the Brownhill deal over the line - despite not being what we needed at the time, typical of our dealings in those days!), often being out of the team or played out of position, having been settled and enjoying his football on loan at QPR led to a general feeling that he didn't really want to be here and we didn't really want him. He doesn't radiate enthusiasm in his body language or his post match interviews.

All that goes to show looks can be deceiving and that there is more going on than we often realise - I recall lots of praise for his work behind the scenes with Conway before his breakthrough, and he has really forced his way back into the picture when I recall thinking his time at City was done. Certainly wasn't among those 'problem' characters shipped out by Pearson - consider him now a solid pro and one I'm glad to have around at the club. His contribution isn't what it once was but he's still a useful player who works hard and has experience at this level. Will always remember his late winner at QPR a couple of years ago.

May be lacking a bit of match sharpness but glad to have him back around the first team - wouldn't worry about 10 quiet minutes at West Ham.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He was on the pitch for just the final 10 minutes when City were mainly in defensive mode as WH tried to grab the winner but I guess in current otib mode that's long enough to start a thread on his performance.

Strange comment. You are saying he played more than 10% of the game but that isn't worthy of comment.  What is your allowed quota? 25%, 50% ...

I thought Wells was strangely subdued. It looked like he was nursing a hamstring injury such was his reluctance to even get into a run let alone a sprint.

PS The best defence against grabbing a winner starts up front.