IGNORED

LATE FLAGGING

Only applies when there is VAR, which is a rarity at our level.

It is so play can continue to the end, and VAR can then check offside when the late flag goes up, rather than play stops on a false off side flag.

• Like 2

Prior answers are right but as with anything VAR wise there needs to be more common sense.

Tommy wasn’t just offside yesterday - he might as well have been on the next pitch down at Greville Smythe. There is literally no benefit in letting play go on there as either he scores and it’s disallowed or he misses and there is a chance of something contentious when the game should be stopped already. No issue in holding the flag on marginal calls, or even say 60/40 that they’re offside but that was 99% certain from the time Bell played the ball to everyone in the ground and it was a nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Prior answers are right but as with anything VAR wise there needs to be more common sense.

Tommy wasn’t just offside yesterday - he might as well have been on the next pitch down at Greville Smythe. There is literally no benefit in letting play go on there as either he scores and it’s disallowed or he misses and there is a chance of something contentious when the game should be stopped already. No issue in holding the flag on marginal calls, or even say 60/40 that they’re offside but that was 99% certain from the time Bell played the ball to everyone in the ground and it was a nonsense.

Yeah exactly this. The whole point of not flagging is so that for close calls, they can be checked if it results in a goal. Tommy, however, might as well have been in the next county, it was that obvious.

• Like 1

Just now, elhombrecito said:

Yeah exactly this. The whole point of not flagging is so that for close calls, they can be checked if it results in a goal. Tommy, however, might as well have been in the next county, it was that obvious.

……..and it will take an ACL, leg break or the sending off of a keeper before they add the common sense element to the rule.

Just now, elhombrecito said:

I am liking that I went for the next pitch and you went for the next county. I’d like to see other forum users continue the pattern on this thread and see how far away from onside we can get Tommy to be by the end of it.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I am liking that I went for the next pitch and you went for the next county. I’d like to see other forum users continue the pattern on this thread and see how far away from onside we can get Tommy to be by the end of it.

Stranraer.

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He was so far offside NASA was asking if he needed a space suit.

• Like 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Malago said:

My favourite offside goal of all time.

Dirty Leeds.

What would VAR make of this Miah?

I wonder if this is where the phrase "Play to the whistle came from"?

Obviously where Tony Adams copied his defending from

I had enough time to think:

"Surely he's offside? Oh linos kept his flag down. No surely he's a mile offside. Oh he's playing on. He's running at goal. Oh he's scored! Linos flag is still down, great goal."

I even celebrated.

I basically convinced myself that what I'd seen wasn't what I'd seen because the lino had kept his flag down. 

It was odd.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I know I should probably know this, its probably been explained to me and I thought 'what a load of shite' so I've forgotten.

So, can anyone explain to me the official reason for late flags, as in the situation when your  bloke 'scored' yesterday.

Does anyone have a video of the Conway disallowed goal? 

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

"Surely he's offside? Oh linos kept his flag down. No surely he's a mile offside. Oh he's playing on. He's running at goal. Oh he's scored! Linos flag is still down, great goal."

I even celebrated.

I basically convinced myself that what I'd seen wasn't what I'd seen because the lino had kept his flag down. 

It was odd.

Id taken my eyes off the game, momentarily, and pretty much went through the same thought process as you describe. Just put the bloody flag up as soon as you see the offside

12 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

He was so far offside he’s not in the camera shot.

23 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

NASA have one I think. Tom was so far off side VAR didn’t catch it!

Back in the day when I was reffing at club level I can remember multiple times club linesman having mechanical arms.

So what I would do is say you are running the same line at the same end both halves. Lordy that effed a few up, they could never quite work out when they should be cheating.

I even had it brought up at a FA hearing once. A bit laughable as the chairman of the committee was the one that told me I should do it!

As for the LEEDS V WBA game I can’t quite remember what the law/guidance was at the time. However it wasn’t a pass it was a block recovered by the same player, thus the ref deemed the forward was not interfering with play etc etc. Argue either way about it particularly as I think it was Astle who was in the technically offside position who scored (if I’m wrong with the last bit feel free to correct me)

Nevertheless two things

1The late great City Ledge Terry Cooper wasn’t happy

2 The man who once said if a player isn’t interfering with play what’s he doing out there! 😂 That man was Brian (God) Clough, who agreed it was a goal! That probably didn’t help his relationship with Don Revie  😆 

Edited by REDOXO

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I even celebrated.

It was odd.

That’s what happened to Owers(?) on the radio. He started commentating again in case it was a goal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@REDOXO Bomber Brown I think???

Thanks Dave. To me that puts the tin hat on it. Goal!

However Danny Cockney Bloke once argued that Astle was in front of the ball from the pass for the tap in. 

I can’t quite tell so I guess this will be talked about long after we’ve kicked it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

The rest of the team were playing West Ham and Tommy was in East Ham.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Thanks Dave. To me that puts the tin hat on it. Goal!

However Danny Cockney Bloke once argued that Astle was in front of the ball from the pass for the tap in. 

I can’t quite tell so I guess this will be talked about long after we’ve kicked it!

I was wrong, Colin Suggett having watched the video

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

You just know a serious incident will happen due to this rule. If it happens to the Arse I think Arteta will literally have no head left…….

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

……..and it will take an ACL, leg break or the sending off of a keeper before they add the common sense element to the rule.

27 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It's another bizarre officials decision that has been made. Imagine someone gets seriously injured when the player was 'offside'. Really winds me up, just put the flag up when the ball is played.

It's already happened, several times

Pickford escaped a Red and a penalty when he smashed Van Dijk after a late offside

Rui Patricio suffered a serious head injury

John Stones just a week or two ago against Everton

I understand the point about not flagging if it's close and letting VAR decide - but the ones like Tommy's where they keep the flag down and then THEY flag are stupid. Unless of course I'm wrong and VAR are communicating as it happens and says that's well off, we don't need the lines you can give it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Only applies when there is VAR, which is a rarity at our level.

It is so play can continue to the end, and VAR can then check offside when the late flag goes up, rather than play stops on a false off side flag.

The linemen at AG don't even flag for a foul right in front of them!

However they can flag for an offside when they're 10 yards behind the play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malago said:

My favourite offside goal of all time.

Dirty Leeds.

What would VAR make of this Miah?

The points dropped by Leeds that day helped ensure Arsenal and not Leeds were League Champions that season. The Leeds fans rioted and their first few home games next season had to be played at least 10 miles away from Leeds.

Referee Ray Tinkler and his Linesmen continued to officiate at matches.